Sponsored

So how much does the Sport S with 3.73 really tow?

Trauma PA

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Willys, 2021 Audi Q3
Occupation
Trauma Surgery Physician Assistant
Looking at the tow chart I seem to be a bit confused. The Overland with 3.73 gearing and auto transmission has max tow capacity of 6,000 lbs. The Sport with 3.73 and auto tranny is listed in one chart to only tow 4,500 lbs.
Can anyone clarify this for me? My brain is too fatigued at this hour of the night and at the end of the week to try and figure this one out.
Sponsored

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I think the Overland gets the HD brakes standard, and the Sport doesn't. That could be one difference.

Jeep really needs to publish better data in the owners manual. It's a joke the way they have it laid out in there.

Rex3rd

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 Pontiac GTO
Looking at the tow chart I seem to be a bit confused. The Overland with 3.73 gearing and auto transmission has max tow capacity of 6,000 lbs. The Sport with 3.73 and auto tranny is listed in one chart to only tow 4,500 lbs.
Can anyone clarify this for me? My brain is too fatigued at this hour of the night and at the end of the week to try and figure this one out.
Welcome to Jeep hell. Your gonna finally decided on the sport s but then go to the overland for more options but bump up to the Rubicon because it's bad ass and it's just a few grand more and so on until you make your final verdict. May God be with you

OP
OP
Trauma PA

Trauma PA

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Welcome to Jeep hell. Your gonna finally decided on the sport s but then go to the overland for more options but bump up to the Rubicon because it's bad ass and it's just a few grand more and so on until you make your final verdict. May God be with you
Too funny! So after ordering a Rubicon, now in KZ status, I got to analyzing whether I really need a Rubicon for my purposes. All along I'm thinking 6,000 lbs. tow capacity for a Sport with Auto tranny as well as the Overland. I decide ok that's good enough for me so I strike a deal for a Sport S with just the standard tow package for 6% under invoice straight off the lot, no more wait and for considerable less money. I'm going over all my pros and cons and charts and loan calculations, etc. and I come to the realization that all along I've been wrong about the tow capacity of the Sport with the standard package. Dang, 4,500 lbs. is a lot less than 6,000 lbs. which is significantly less than 7,000 lbs. that the Rubicon offers. Now what???? Boy does my head really hurt now.

bgenlvtex

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
My proprietary, unscientific and completely unsubstantiated rule of towing (based on personal anecdotal experience) is to reduce manufacturers advertised tow rating by 40% and you will be pretty close to real world practical application towing, that does not wear you out, or beat the shit out of the tow unit.

Obviously, elevation and grade profiles play a huge part in that, and my proprietary number is to allow relatively enencumbered travel without giving those things more or less value.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Trauma PA

Trauma PA

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Too funny! So after ordering a Rubicon, now in KZ status, I got to analyzing whether I really need a Rubicon for my purposes. All along I'm thinking 6,000 lbs. tow capacity for a Sport with Auto tranny as well as the Overland. I decide ok that's good enough for me so I strike a deal for a Sport S with just the standard tow package for 6% under invoice straight off the lot, no more wait and for considerable less money. I'm going over all my pros and cons and charts and loan calculations, etc. and I come to the realization that all along I've been wrong about the tow capacity of the Sport with the standard package. Dang, 4,500 lbs. is a lot less than 6,000 lbs. which is significantly less than 7,000 lbs. that the Rubicon offers. Now what???? Boy does my head really hurt now.

OP
OP
Trauma PA

Trauma PA

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
My wife performed an intervention. She reminded me of all the reasons I was ordering a Rubicon. Mute point now. I had a brain fart. I'm ok now. No more stupid thoughts. I'm waiting for my Rubicon which is in KZ status.

Lou3.6

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep 2016 WK2 75th Anniversary edition
Occupation
retired Navy -- 1984 > 2004
'Trauma PA' seems to be traumatized, yes ? It could possibly take a 30 minute video - probably one out their on the YouTube (?) - or a 3000 word essay to answer ! ?
It sort of boils down to a # of Components built on to the JT (of choice) -- simple Sport with no frills (no thrills) . . . a Sport S with some "FUN" options like a trailer hitch or the Max Tow Options (many Nice upgrades included - think Rubicon minus the lockers / disconnects !) .
The Overland seems to be the "Comfy On-Road" version . Each JT gets a set of Springs & Shocks and Tuning to meet the "needs" of what JEEP believes are the "Intended buyers" Desires for their JT uses . Can't make ALL JT's all Things for ALL - then they'd all be the same with just different names ! Perhaps JEEP should create a New Model JT - The On Road Hauling/Towing "BEAST" -- but capable (as all jeeps are) of milder off-roading ! ? I "think" they've intended the Sport S with Max Tow to be that ! ? Best place to check 1st hand are the individual vehicles door stickers . Getting answers as to the "WHY's" ? ? ? Good Luck . . . find anything understandable . . . PLEASE POST . We all feel that angst ! :headbang: :computerrage:

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Interestingly, the sales brochure seems to have better information than the owners manual. Go figure..

ScreenHunter_164 Jun. 30 20.17.jpg

OP
OP
Trauma PA

Trauma PA

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Interestingly, the sales brochure seems to have better information than the owners manual. Go figure..

ScreenHunter_164 Jun. 30 20.17.jpg
That makes so much more sense than this previous chart I referred to.
Screenshot_20190407-042806_Chrome.jpg

Sponsored

CarolinaGladiator

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 High Velocity JTR
Straight out of the manual for my Sport S.

IMG_20190901_165655.jpg

And that's why I bought the Sport S w/ max tow.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Straight out of the manual for my Sport S.

IMG_20190901_165655.jpg

And that's why I bought the Sport S w/ max tow.
That's the old version of the manual. I have that same one. Version 2 has significantly more detailed information in that chart.

But yes, I agree that Max Tow is the only way to go.

Markpod7

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Watch this video around 10 min mark the chief engineer talks about the reasoning behind lower rating and what it will ACTUALLY tow.

brancky3

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Gladiator Sport S
Just picked up my Sport S with the tow package (not max tow). They added an addendum insert with the manual and it says 6,000lbs for my vehicle. I'm pretty happy with this update!

15677324793293426613262424544676.jpg
6k is more than enough for me!
Sponsored