Sponsored

So, is the tailgate of the Gladiator NOT metal?

jlg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport-S Max Tow, Punkin Metallic
Seems like it's not -- I tried to put a magnet on it, and it wouldn't attach -- it DID attach to the fender, but NOT the tailgate?
Sponsored

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition - Granite Crystal Metallic | 2017 Ford Raptor SuperCrew - Metallic
Vehicle Showcase
No, it’s not metal. Not much is steel on a Gladiator body. Lots of aluminum though

Edit: My mistake (I know aluminum is a metal; I'm in the industry) - I meant to say it's not steel as I went on to say, "not much is steel...

Last edited:

Murgatroid

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
RN
Vehicle Showcase
The frame, roll cage, bed are steel, would have to run out with a magnet to see if the bed sides are steel.

Sponsored

Incommando

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Sport max tow Sting-gray, ‘95 YJ
I am pretty sure that the tailgate is a composite material

Jake

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport
I figured that out a long time ago. Tried to attach this magnetic sticker to the tailgate.
Had to put it on the side. Fail to understand why Jeep did that. Save a few pennies I guess.
A8F512CE-6398-4914-A4D2-335D6C0D322B.jpeg

Murgatroid

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
RN
Vehicle Showcase
I figured that out a long time ago. Tried to attach this magnetic sticker to the tailgate.
Had to put it on the side. Fail to understand why Jeep did that. Save a few pennies I guess.
A8F512CE-6398-4914-A4D2-335D6C0D322B.jpeg
I learned on the test drive, couldn't find a spot that the magnetic license plate would stick.

Last edited:

Sponsored

whiteglad

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
Hood, fenders, windshield frame, tailgate are aluminum, which costs more in material. Tailgate access panels, bed including outer sides, body tub are steel. You can check for yourself with a small magnet. It was mostly about saving weight and fuel mileage.

Cshadow2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sting grey sport S JT
Don’t you remember ford going on and on about using aluminum? But for real it’s lighter, harder to actually dent easily and it doesn’t rust. The down side is once you do dent it you probably have to replace it it doesn’t really straighten easily and it cost more than steel.

nyyankees

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon, 2004 TJ 4.0
Having just had to replace my tailgate I can say the downside is that PDR is very difficult on aluminum. Had to replace the tailgate vs. dent removal.

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
I can assure you Jeep didn't save any pennies going with aluminum. It's an accepted added cost because lower weight means better economy and less emissions per mile to meet federal standards.

Like most things that piss of Jeep and BOF SUV fans, blame CAFE standards.
Sponsored