Reaction score
Website
www.FredRewey.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited, 2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Speaker, Author, Dude Who Likes Bacon
Vehicle Showcase
Thinking of upgrading...just never towed anything this big. The specs seem to be in line (especially with anti-sway, EQ). Thoughts?

Screen Shot 2020-09-21 at 10.34.45 AM.png
Sponsored

Browning

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
Occupation
State Farm Agent
Tower stands into the woods prior to the season opener.
Jeep Gladiator So, what is everybody towing? w43
Jeep Gladiator So, what is everybody towing? t343ds

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon Gladiator, Toyota Prius, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Network Security
Thinking of upgrading...just never towed anything this big. The specs seem to be in line (especially with anti-sway, EQ). Thoughts?

Jeep Gladiator So, what is everybody towing? t343ds
All depends on what kind of travel you are thinking of. Is Florida flat? Do you plan on hitting mountains? I can say my JT did amazing with my 6000lbs travel trailer for everything except for one very steep hill. Plenty of power and 11.6MPG. It really struggled up that road, but it was something special, worse than anything you would see on an interstate.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Did not know people were getting numbers like that. Mine seems logical, not something I would want to push to but nothing outlandish.
Since the factory where the vehicle was built would have every single piece of information used to build said vehicle, including VIN, exact equipment (otherwise they'd not know what to put in/on it) and other info - such as the bed cover, roof it came with, every single option or lack of any option, one should expect that door frame sticker to be law of the land.
And since towing capacity is based on the BASE of that level - such as a BASE OVERLAND with no added options, a BASE Rubicon with no added options, or a BASE SPORT S with no added options, how could a vehicle WITH options tow more than the BASE of that level with NO extra weight or added options?

Now if they figure a LOADED Overland or a LOADED Sport could tow 6,000 pounds and you did not load it with every conceivable option, I could see it having a greater number than the advertised numbers, but mine has everything except passive entry - so, how could mine be flagged for MORE weight than what the factory numbers say?

Even the owner manual has the numbers that were advertised. So why is the web site adding hundreds to a fully loaded vehicle and yet some end up with thousands taken away?

The web site numbers make no sense- the factory made that thing and had every single thing about it known at the time they printed that sticker for the door. They used the VIN and equipment list - the web site has ONLY the VIN - and I wonder- perhaps like cars and trucks of the past, the VIN does NOT tell everything. It didn't with my Silverado. When I plugged the VIN in for that it missed some of the equipment I had............ similar for my father's Ford Ranger - the VIN left stuff out.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
All depends on what kind of travel you are thinking of. Is Florida flat? Do you plan on hitting mountains? I can say my JT did amazing with my 6000lbs travel trailer for everything except for one very steep hill. Plenty of power and 11.6MPG. It really struggled up that road, but it was something special, worse than anything you would see on an interstate.
Your 4.10 ratio likely helped a lot. I'm frankly concerned with my 3.73 ratio.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Godfadr

Godfadr

First Name
Godfadr
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.FredRewey.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Good feedback. I expect not to be great on big hills but still get the job done. I do have the Max Tow and 4.10 - so I am guessing if you can run around at 6,000lbs pretty good...I should be ok. I suspect I will be mostly flat...well...except for bringing this thing home from the Pacific Northwest. I guess I better make a decision lol.

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 LJ 4.0 turbo, 18 GC Trailhawk 3.6, 17 F150 Screw 3.5EB
I lived in FL for 15yrs, their steepest incline is an entry ramp onto the interstate or the Sunshine Skyway bridge.

OP
OP
Godfadr

Godfadr

First Name
Godfadr
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.FredRewey.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I lived in FL for 15yrs, their steepest incline is an entry ramp onto the interstate or the Sunshine Skyway bridge.
Yea...that one is pretty brutal. :) - I pretty much trailer out of FL as much as a can!

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
That bridge is cool!
I enjoy seeing pictures my wife took when she and her friend used to go down there every year and stay in her friend's condo on the edge of the water.

I'd say sand and sink holes and swamp are what you might be looking out for or need to climb out of.

Sponsored

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Network Security
Since the factory where the vehicle was built would have every single piece of information used to build said vehicle, including VIN, exact equipment (otherwise they'd not know what to put in/on it) and other info - such as the bed cover, roof it came with, every single option or lack of any option, one should expect that door frame sticker to be law of the land.
And since towing capacity is based on the BASE of that level - such as a BASE OVERLAND with no added options, a BASE Rubicon with no added options, or a BASE SPORT S with no added options, how could a vehicle WITH options tow more than the BASE of that level with NO extra weight or added options?

Now if they figure a LOADED Overland or a LOADED Sport could tow 6,000 pounds and you did not load it with every conceivable option, I could see it having a greater number than the advertised numbers, but mine has everything except passive entry - so, how could mine be flagged for MORE weight than what the factory numbers say?

Even the owner manual has the numbers that were advertised. So why is the web site adding hundreds to a fully loaded vehicle and yet some end up with thousands taken away?

The web site numbers make no sense- the factory made that thing and had every single thing about it known at the time they printed that sticker for the door. They used the VIN and equipment list - the web site has ONLY the VIN - and I wonder- perhaps like cars and trucks of the past, the VIN does NOT tell everything. It didn't with my Silverado. When I plugged the VIN in for that it missed some of the equipment I had............ similar for my father's Ford Ranger - the VIN left stuff out.
thats a good point. I figured mine might be higher due to the lack of options on mine, being a pretty stripped down rubicon. but you are right I have seen some strange things that should not happen when entering a VIN

Your 4.10 ratio likely helped a lot. I'm frankly concerned with my 3.73 ratio.
It probably does, but still I think you should be good. I was pulling a 28ft sail. Your load is pretty aerodynamic

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Network Security
Im originally from Ohio so in the carolinas I have seen more slope on a single street than that entire state has.

Good feedback. I expect not to be great on big hills but still get the job done. I do have the Max Tow and 4.10 - so I am guessing if you can run around at 6,000lbs pretty good...I should be ok. I suspect I will be mostly flat...well...except for bringing this thing home from the Pacific Northwest. I guess I better make a decision lol.
You should be. I mean from what I have learned travel trailers are not fun to tow compared to something more flat. Not bad though either. I think what you are looking at is a pretty decent fit compared to the bunkhouse monstrosity I got. With 3 kids I couldn't go any smaller though, lol.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
thats a good point. I figured mine might be higher due to the lack of options on mine, being a pretty stripped down rubicon. but you are right I have seen some strange things that should not happen when entering a VIN

It probably does, but still I think you should be good. I was pulling a 28ft sail. Your load is pretty aerodynamic
Good point - 28 ft? Cool, that's not a small load back there. My new car hauler sits pretty low - torsion type axles instead of springs, with a car on it it won't sit very much above the top of the truck.
Frankly, one of the bigger disappointments of this year was not being able to try out my truck with that new trailer!
My wife says - "well, haul my GC up to Spirit Lake so you can haul my new one back and save the miles on my new one"
I doubt she has any idea what a GRAND CHEROKEE weighs.

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Network Security
Good point - 28 ft? Cool, that's not a small load back there. My new car hauler sits pretty low - torsion type axles instead of springs, with a car on it it won't sit very much above the top of the truck.
Frankly, one of the bigger disappointments of this year was not being able to try out my truck with that new trailer!
My wife says - "well, haul my GC up to Spirit Lake so you can haul my new one back and save the miles on my new one"
Yep, technically 31ft tip to tip. Its a big boy for sure.

Now when I was somewhere around 6k on a flat trailer full of rocks that was even easier. Only think I noticed was brakes (before I had a controller)

You need to do a practice run with that trailer. But I agree a grand cherokke proably isn't your best way to test it, lol.

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 LJ 4.0 turbo, 18 GC Trailhawk 3.6, 17 F150 Screw 3.5EB
Yeah I was surprised to see how much my wife's GC trail hawk weighs.
Sponsored