So, what is everybody towing?

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon Gladiator, Toyota Prius, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Network Security
Yea it was the only one I could find in the nation.... luckily it was in towable distance (I’m in va it was in ga )

which side cameras did you get ?
Haloview for the rear and side cameras. monitor shows all 3 cameras at once. The side one kept me from clipping a tree when backing in yesterday. Well worth it.
Sponsored

Stevevdbh

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
Manager
Haloview for the rear and side cameras. monitor shows all 3 cameras at once. The side one kept me from clipping a tree when backing in yesterday. Well worth it.
Where did you buy the halo view camera?

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon Gladiator, Toyota Prius, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Network Security

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Not sure if you were aware, there’s something called a brake controller that actually stops the trailer from pushing the tow vehicle. Yes, they were innovative enough to have different settings to control the amount of braking being applied to just the trailer.
When I had my PJ 18' car hauler and pulled it behind my Chevy, when there was weight on the trailer (say, a CAR!) I could hit the trailer brakes and jerk that truck back hard - those trailer brakes were good. I was just adjusting and testing it one day before a trip and found out I didn't want to set that brake controller real firm unless I wanted a broken neck. (or tear the hitch apart)
I was checking out the Redarc I installed in the JT - it was doing it's learning thing. No load on the trailer and first stop it slid all 4 trailer tires and I wasn't even going fast.

Phljeeper

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
I work
Vehicle Showcase
Yours is very similar to ours. We just have double bunks at the back, not the bunk house. It’s definitely glamping.

6973594D-2214-4988-B66B-5FA5BCB967FE.jpeg

8419CCDB-1D54-43F9-9A1E-B57607AB4ADA.jpeg

82ABB936-279C-4CFF-8C72-EB671BF5D169.jpeg

C27BB197-9CE8-4F1D-B40F-497998EED9B1.jpeg

0477C289-715B-4444-9387-B858FC4636BE.jpeg

801BB4C4-16D9-4839-A0BF-9806DBB6891D.jpeg
Nice looking rig. What is the weight and dimensions? How does it tow? I am looking to go a little bigger and not sure the JT will be happy with bigger.

Sponsored

gr1899

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Gladiator Sport S / Max Tow
Occupation
IT
Just towed from FL to Yosemite (about 3000 miles). 22’ Airstream about 4100#s dry. Maybe 600 lbs of gear, between the trailer and TV. About halfway through the trip my rear diff sensor warning light came on. Heard this is not uncommon while towing and the dealer will have to replace the entire rear axle.

FEBFC317-A482-498C-96E5-BFCDDCF5B2E0.jpeg
we are moving from a 30’ AS to the same model you have. I have a pro pride hitch we used on the 30’ and have been debating using it on the 22. Wasn’t sure if it was necessary given the weight it will add to the tongue. Any thoughts on that? Also, what size bars are you running? 600?

PDiddy

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Architectural Illustrator
Nice looking rig. What is the weight and dimensions? How does it tow? I am looking to go a little bigger and not sure the JT will be happy with bigger.
its 6000 dry. Honestly I would not go any bigger. Once you load it up it’s a couple hundred lbs more. You also have to consider the payload weight of the people in your JT. You need to make sure the GCVW is not being exceeded. With my JTR I’m getting close to the GCVW. It tows it fine. I just took it from 700’ elevation to 7700’, to South Lake Tahoe. It did great felt comfortable towing. Trailer brakes did great. But I would not suggest towing outside of the vehicles specs. If you go bigger you maybe outside of them.

Stevevdbh

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
Manager
its 6000 dry. Honestly I would not go any bigger. Once you load it up it’s a couple hundred lbs more. You also have to consider the payload weight of the people in your JT. You need to make sure the GCVW is not being exceeded. With my JTR I’m getting close to the GCVW. It tows it fine. I just took it from 700’ elevation to 7700’, to South Lake Tahoe. It did great felt comfortable towing. Trailer brakes did great. But I would not suggest towing outside of the vehicles specs. If you go bigger you maybe outside of them.
Sweet trailer. But is that trailer GVWR close to 8k lbs? What is your Glady rated at for towing? You much have the tow package etc.? You may not tow it fully loaded and sounds like it does well up to Tahoe where i would like to go to tow my trailer if I ever get my Glady Diesel!! LOL.

Phljeeper

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I work
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks. I wasn’t thinking bigger than yours. Was meaning bigger than I currently tow. I have a 26’ TT that weighs 4800 lbs. dry, was looking at a 30’ that weighs 5300 lbs dry. I am not stock though and running on 37” tires on a Rubicon with 4.88 gearing. I pull my current TT just fine but really want a bit more space.

PDiddy

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Thanks. I wasn’t thinking bigger than yours. Was meaning bigger than I currently tow. I have a 26’ TT that weighs 4800 lbs. dry, was looking at a 30’ that weighs 5300 lbs dry. I am not stock though and running on 37” tires on a Rubicon with 4.88 gearing. I pull my current TT just fine but really want a bit more space.
Oh got it. Yeah more space is nice with a family. Not sure how your towing will be effected with the 37s and regear. Probably will reduce the tow capacity some, even with the regear.

Sponsored

Phljeeper

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I work
Vehicle Showcase
Oh got it. Yeah more space is nice with a family. Not sure how your towing will be effected with the 37s and regear. Probably will reduce the tow capacity some, even with the regear.
Agreed but from the drivers seat I don’t notice a difference. I did feel a difference when I was still on 4.10s with the 37s but much better post regear. I am guessing the primary difference is the added weight of the tires.

PDiddy

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Agreed but from the drivers seat I don’t notice a difference. I did feel a difference when I was still on 4.10s with the 37s but much better post regear. I am guessing the primary difference is the added weight of the tires.
Im curious about this too because I would love to throw some 35s on mine with a regear. I saw some good 35s that only weighed a few lbs more than my stock ones. I would probably keep my stock rims. I was thinking 35s and 4.88.

PDiddy

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
my other thought was to get a set of stock gladiator wheels and tires, just for towing and then I can do what I want with my everyday wheels and tires. Wouldn’t be too much of a hassle to swap out the wheels before a trip. But if I lifted it 2” the smaller stock wheels may look funny on it. Although, I don’t have to lift it with 35s. Too many choices.

Phljeeper

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I work
Vehicle Showcase
my other thought was to get a set of stock gladiator wheels and tires, just for towing and then I can do what I want with my everyday wheels and tires. Wouldn’t be too much of a hassle to swap out the wheels before a trip. But if I lifted it 2” the smaller stock wheels may look funny on it. Although, I don’t have to lift it with 35s. Too many choices.
thats true and a good thought. A small lift would look fine with the stock tires. And you really don’t need much if anything for 35s on a rubicon and a very small lift on a non rubicon. I think it would look very odd with my 4” lift on stock tires though but boy would the 4.88s pull a camper nice with stock tires.

Rafael's Jive

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
82 Scrambler, 09 WRX, 17 Forester, and to many bicycles
I don’t have the MaxTow pkg, and I tow my Retro 135 without any problems at all. My mileage is terrible — I average about 11 mpg or so — but the truck itself handles just fine. What is it about yours that you consider to be “really bad” ref towing?

6884ABD9-A0CF-4EC1-B929-06BC898641AB.jpeg
Ferg:

Looking at one of those today with the dinette. I have the standard tow package and a manual trans Sport S. You think towing the 135 would give me any trouble?

We put a deposit down on a Salem FSX. 178BHSK. Its a much larger trailer right at the edge of my Gladiator's capacity. I'm concerned that it would be a real bear to tow. We have used a utility trailer for tent camping, but now that we are empty nesting and poblic facilities are closed, we wanted a camper with a full bath.

Thanks

Rob
Sponsored

Last edited: