Sponsored

So why do people like roof top tents

DocMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S, 2001 Audi TT Roadster, 1930 Model A Hot Rod, 1973 VW Square Back
Occupation
Education
About to test all this. Ordered a Rebel Offroad 1/2 rack and a Roam Vagabond xl.
We have a Ouray trip in July. Going to hit 5 BOH trails and the Alpine Loop.

Harbor Freight has an affordable hoist and I am looking to build a rig to pop off my tent and rack and store in the garage.
Sponsored

Flux

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
I suppose there are hybrid options.... An RTT is definitely something I'd like to have if I ever get more into camping. This setup works for me and is a pretty inexpensive option.

IMG_0759.jpg

IMG_0760.jpg

DocMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S, 2001 Audi TT Roadster, 1930 Model A Hot Rod, 1973 VW Square Back
Occupation
Education
This fills me with joy. Please tell me you refer to the upper tent as "the loft"

I suppose there are hybrid options.... An RTT is definitely something I'd like to have if I ever get more into camping. This setup works for me and is a pretty inexpensive option.

Jeep Gladiator So why do people like roof top tents IMG_0760

Jeep Gladiator So why do people like roof top tents IMG_0760

Trout Safari

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTRD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Self Employed
Our new Galiator is on order as well as a matching Turtleback trailer with a roof top Tent. We will be able to set up camp and continue on for the day exploring places to cast a line, and return to a fully set up camp. Always ready to go with all the equipment without having to drive around with it daily.

Sponsored

NC_Overland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland
I wish they werenā€™t so expensive. Iā€™ve always wanted one for the convenience, but after moving to NC, Iā€™ve really been wanting one for overnight beach camping. There are places that allow you to stay overnight between Labor Day and Memorial Day. The caveat is you canā€™t have a tent touching the ground or a campfire. Iā€™ve used my backpacking tent that fits perfectly in the back of my truck with the tailgate down (over the simple platform I built over the wheel wells). RTT would be awesome for that for a lot of reasons.

DocMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Education
Sounds like I need to roll to NC.

I wish they werenā€™t so expensive. Iā€™ve always wanted one for the convenience, but after moving to NC, Iā€™ve really been wanting one for overnight beach camping. There are places that allow you to stay overnight between Labor Day and Memorial Day. The caveat is you canā€™t have a tent touching the ground or a campfire. Iā€™ve used my backpacking tent that fits perfectly in the back of my truck with the tailgate down (over the simple platform I built over the wheel wells). RTT would be awesome for that for a lot of reasons.

Devil Dog

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKU, 2021 JT Mojave, 2023 Rubicon 392
Pics of your set up?

Sponsored

DocMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Education
Yeah. It has changed a lot. I am looking at Asheville, NC or Memphis, TN.

Funny you say that, I moved to NC from CO Springs in 2013. I just looked at your locationā€¦

NC_Overland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland
Pics of your set up?
I donā€™t. Iā€™m sorry and I donā€™t have my Jeep here to show. I lost a ton of pics recently.

Do you have the boards cut for hauling 4ā€™x8ā€ sheets? If you do, all you have to do is cut a piece of 5/8ā€ or thicker plywood to a hair under 5ā€™ to fit over those boards and be able to close the tailgate. For the part that hangs over the tailgate, I randomly have a fairly sturdy container that I now keep camping supplies in thatā€˜s the same height as the platform and fits almost perfectly on the tailgate. Dumb luck there, but it works great. I bring a 3 step step ladder for easy assess for short ass guests (fiancĆ©e). Although, she doesnā€™t really need it.

The tent is just a REI two person backpacking tent that Iā€™ve had for years. It just happens to be the perfect size. Itā€™s ā€œtwo personā€, but itā€™s really one person or someone you donā€™t mind sleeping closely next to. I wouldnā€™t feel comfortable with a buddy sleeping with me in there. Itā€™s a little bit more difficult with the dogs, but theyā€™ve been relatively ok sleeping in the backseat of my Jeep. Pro tip, tire them out first. Lol

NC_Overland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland
Yeah. It has changed a lot. I am looking at Asheville, NC or Memphis, TN.
Asheville is great but expensive and hard to find a good job. Iā€™d totally live in Asheville if I already had a good job lined up there.

what is changing in CO Springs? We loved it there, but we didnā€™t venture much outside of our hippy neighborhood (old colorado city) or occasionally downtown proper.

DocMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Education
Legal weed and lots of crime and homeless. Last time I was downtown it looked like Barter Town from Mad Max. I moved out of the Old North End to escape a lot of the crime, but I still had a meth queen break into my new house.

Asheville is great but expensive and hard to find a good job. Iā€™d totally live in Asheville if I already had a good job lined up there.

what is changing in CO Springs? We loved it there, but we didnā€™t venture much outside of our hippy neighborhood (old colorado city) or occasionally downtown proper.
Sponsored