So why do people like ground tents?

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow Sting Grey
I use a Gazelle Tent and its up in 90 seconds as far as initial set up. If its gonna be a bit windy a few lines and stakes don't take long at all to put up. Goes down just as fast. I do like the RTT though
Sponsored

BGH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Finance
Less expensive, can pitch them in more places, don’t weigh much, no cluttering up and weighing down my rig the 99.99% of the time I’m not using tent. But most important—they weren’t really a thing during most of the 50 years I’ve been camping. Gimme a manual transmission and a normal tent. Dammit.

AverageOverlander

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Overland
How do you move a dresser or king size mattress with a roof top tent? I’m sure not taking a rtt & rack off every time I need to use my truck as a truck.

They look cool but if I could justify a rtt, I would have just gotten a JL.

Gladiator is a unique vehicle, seems like a lot of JL people got it to have a bigger JL so they take over their entire bed with overlanding gear/racks… where as a lot of truck people got it to have a very capable offroad tuck and were ok comprising on a bit of size, but completely dedicating your bed to overlanding is a bit much for the people coming from trucks.

Plus as others have mentioned
-heavy
-expensive
-restrictive on where you can setup
-can take longer to setup
-high for kids/getting out at night

RTT’s are like the spoilers or body kits of the overlanding world. They look cool, and why not personalize your rig the way you want, but completely unnecessary and expensive to boot.

Vanishing Point

First Name
Ernest
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Physician
I generally sleep in a tent not because I want to sleep in a tent but because I have to sleep in a tent. No hotel rooms. Or I'm very tired and there are no towns nearby. Doesn't happen too often. But carrying a ground tent in the back gives you that option. Out here in the West there are a lot of options for primitive camping. Six hours of sleep and ready to hit the road again. I think a roof top tent is more for people who actually plan to sleep in a tent. I'd feel guilty getting a hotel room if I had a nice roof top tent available. But I'm not going to carry around a rooftop tent for the one or two times a year that I can't find a hotel.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
How do you move a dresser or king size mattress with a roof top tent? I’m sure not taking a rtt & rack off every time I need to use my truck as a truck.

They look cool but if I could justify a rtt, I would have just gotten a JL.

Gladiator is a unique vehicle, seems like a lot of JL people got it to have a bigger JL so they take over their entire bed with overlanding gear/racks… where as a lot of truck people got it to have a very capable offroad tuck and were ok comprising on a bit of size, but completely dedicating your bed to overlanding is a bit much for the people coming from trucks.

Plus as others have mentioned
-heavy
-expensive
-restrictive on where you can setup
-can take longer to setup
-high for kids/getting out at night

RTT’s are like the spoilers or body kits of the overlanding world. They look cool, and why not personalize your rig the way you want, but completely unnecessary and expensive to boot.
Payload taken......... and when you are at a swap meet or other places, and all set up, and need to take your truck to town for something, or to the other side of the grounds to pick something up...... your truck is tied up.
That's the issue with my setup - once it's set up, your truck sits until you are ready to break camp.
But my rig doesn't take more than 5 pounds from my payload LOL

RTT is just too much money and hassle for the few times I'd use a tent. Heavy, too. I haul stuff. I can toss my bagged tent out of the truck in 2 seconds.

Interesting note - almost everyone at the AMC Races this past weekend was in a tent - on the ground. Same for most similar events. I have yet to see a RTT setup at these.

Jeep Gladiator So why do people like ground tents? 20220909_205404_HDR