Sponsored

Why are off-road teardrop trailers so doggone expensive?

PapiSmurf

First Name
Casey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport Max Tow
Occupation
Sales
Yes - they are expensive. My family is in Kansas City, and we took a trip down to Oklahome, where the U.S. dealer is, and were very impressed. Expensive, but seems like a good purchase.

I'd love a Conquerer, but they cost more (and the Ohio dealer just changed to Kimberly, I believe).

If price were NO object, I'd be getting a Bruder...
I’m in North Texas, I should plan a trip to Oklahoma and check these out in person as well.
Sponsored

Free2roam

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Fabricator by trade/ Maintenance Mechanic
My choice if I could afford it and didn't already have drawing to build my own expedition trailer would be Off Grid Trailers in Canada. Most trailers don't have what I want in a set up. I'm solving my own problem with RTT I don't feel the need to be 7' off the ground. Got a sheet metal company helping me build my first one. Hopefully only one. Although there is a demand vs supply. New business? I'll post pics when I get the metal. Going to be a long hot summer building.

IamAlan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Snazzberry Willys
Occupation
Retired
Im wondering the same dang thing. I cant believe these things cost half as much, if not more than my JT. what in the f---.
My old man used to look at campers and say: "Do you know how many motel rooms I can rent for that same money?"

Bremen

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR Sting Gray, 2017 VW Golf Alltrack
I think I've changed my mind against the Opus I was considering.

RIght now, if funds support it, I am leaning towards a Patriot - they are sick (in a good way!)
Have you looked at custom builds? Bear Paw in CO or Hive in UT can custom build what you want and do it for less.

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I was just looking at a new fiberglass T.T. since I just ordered some repair stuff for mine and damn have some of them were crazy on cost. I know they aren't H.D. trail rated like the over priced teardrop trailers, but due to the plandemic of last year prices have went through the roof to B.S. levels. Just like "since" Overlanding has become a big deal. Now something that was $500-1200 is now jumped off the charts in cost. Same as lift kits... A lot of the lift kits must be lining the parts with gold and silver for what there selling for. The new Fiberglass T.T. now starting point of $54000 WTF!!! For that it better have a silver liner in the water tank.

Sponsored

CallMeJoe

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR
Occupation
Retired
Jeep Gladiator Why are off-road teardrop trailers so doggone expensive? trktrlr01

Jeep Gladiator Why are off-road teardrop trailers so doggone expensive? daycamp002

Overlanding isn't a definition, it's a lifestyle. I like my trailer because of so many upside's there are too many to post. I think that it's important to mention that for many of us, the "overlanding" part first requires a couple thousand miles of "getting to" the places we overland in. For that reason, I really enjoy the comfort of a travel trailer. My trips to the wilderness often are more about camping while getting "to" than camping while "at" a place.
My own trailer (2017 NuCamp TAG XL. 1680 lbs wet.) was a good start, but the torsion axle was crap for Offroading. I put in a Timbren long travel suspension, pintle hitch and some frame upgrades. Now it'll follow me across 2,000 miles of slab, turn right and head off into the woods or desert. You'd have to be daft to expect pulling a trailer isn't a challenge, but the reality is that the only truly capable off-road setup is a good pair of hiking boots. Everything beyond that.....is just swag......

DesertGladiator

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
I bought mine off of Offer-Up for $3800. I did a spring-over-axle lift and have been adding to it as I go with full solar, sink, stove, ARB awning and other crap. All in, less than 6
Jeep Gladiator Why are off-road teardrop trailers so doggone expensive? MojaveTrailer
K.

I was in the same boat, these tear drops were starting at $17K and they are made of aluminum and styrofoam..... unless you bump up to the real off-road overland trailers mentioned above. This works for me.

Last edited:

JT LIFE

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Eco Diesel
Occupation
Retired
I've been considering something else for
camping besides a tent and found this company in Florida. Tinycampercompany.com
They seem reasonably priced for what they offer, and being a small, christian business makes me feel good so a win win in my book!
Hope to order and receive before my trip to the everglades 01/22

suryashankar

First Name
Suryashankar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dasgupta
Occupation
Off-Road Content
Off-Road trailers are so expensive because of their high demand and limited supply. The manufacturers have had difficulty producing the parts needed. Shipment delays and a lack of warehouse space are also factors. Most fully kitted units cost between $15,000 and $60,000.

Several factors contribute to the price of a trailer and its components, so the real answer is not straightforward.

There have been a lot of changes in the trailer industry over the past year. Purchasing a trailer means that you’re either having trouble finding exactly what you’re looking for, waiting longer than you’d like to, or paying more than you would like to.

The manufacturers announce their price increases every month, it seems.
  • In addition to steel and wood, their suppliers provide air conditioners, awnings, generators, and other commonly used items. In 2020, the Covid-19 shutdowns and the China tariffs were to blame.
  • United States iron and steel shut down many of its blast furnaces last April, reopening some of them in the summer. The result: a $920 million loss for the full year for United States Steel.
  • Sales of trailers have not slowed despite shortages of both steel and wood. With so many industries competing for limited resources, prices are rising. The current reality can be summed up by saying supply and demand dictate everything.
  • The COVID-19 pandemic is causing raw materials shortages in industries worldwide, including lumber, steel, aluminium, tires, suspension parts, and wiring harnesses, which has a detrimental impact on trailer production and pricing.
  • Materials and components account for over 20% of overall costs.
Read more here...

/Surya

Sponsored

Fcmalie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2021 Mojave
Build Thread
Link
Off-Road trailers are so expensive because of their high demand and limited supply. The manufacturers have had difficulty producing the parts needed. Shipment delays and a lack of warehouse space are also factors. Most fully kitted units cost between $15,000 and $60,000.

Several factors contribute to the price of a trailer and its components, so the real answer is not straightforward.

There have been a lot of changes in the trailer industry over the past year. Purchasing a trailer means that you’re either having trouble finding exactly what you’re looking for, waiting longer than you’d like to, or paying more than you would like to.

The manufacturers announce their price increases every month, it seems.
  • In addition to steel and wood, their suppliers provide air conditioners, awnings, generators, and other commonly used items. In 2020, the Covid-19 shutdowns and the China tariffs were to blame.
  • United States iron and steel shut down many of its blast furnaces last April, reopening some of them in the summer. The result: a $920 million loss for the full year for United States Steel.
  • Sales of trailers have not slowed despite shortages of both steel and wood. With so many industries competing for limited resources, prices are rising. The current reality can be summed up by saying supply and demand dictate everything.
  • The COVID-19 pandemic is causing raw materials shortages in industries worldwide, including lumber, steel, aluminium, tires, suspension parts, and wiring harnesses, which has a detrimental impact on trailer production and pricing.
  • Materials and components account for over 20% of overall costs.
Read more here...

/Surya
Not going to lie, our recent offroad trailer was more than I wanted to spend, but the wife wanted an actual bathroom. Surprisingly California hasn't gotten big on offroad trailers yet, so even finding someone with inventory was a challenge. We ended up in an OBI Dweller, similar to a Black Series C12, but a bit smaller with a rear slide out for the queen bed.

The Dweller is pretty well loaded with 300AH batteries and 3 100w solar panels, power 12' awning and steps, and with the roof popped up plenty of standing room for me at 6'2".
Jeep Gladiator Why are off-road teardrop trailers so doggone expensive? IMG_7646-rotated

sarguy1941

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I've been considering something else for
camping besides a tent and found this company in Florida. Tinycampercompany.com
They seem reasonably priced for what they offer, and being a small, christian business makes me feel good so a win win in my book!
Hope to order and receive before my trip to the everglades 01/22
Did you get yours. We tried to order one in October and was told they are backed up until July 22 at this point. Kinda bummed as we really liked them. Ordered a 5x8 cargo trailer we plan to convert now.

JT LIFE

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Eco Diesel
Occupation
Retired
Did you get yours. We tried to order one in October and was told they are backed up until July 22 at this point. Kinda bummed as we really liked them. Ordered a 5x8 cargo trailer we plan to convert now.
Sadly no......I had some health issues pop up and had to meet my deductible which is outrageous so that ate up a big chunk of disposable income....
But still want one and hopefully maybe by my next glades trip! 01/23...

Last edited:

Sonoran_Mohavey

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Real Estate Development
I remember before I knew anything about camping, offroading, overlanding, whatever you want to call it, I walked into turtle back trailers in AZ thinking I was about to look at and potentially order a trailer for MAYBE 10k. When they showed me around and we got to talking prices (30-60k) I about had an aneurysm.

but, over time I have seen bad and good and the prices for a lot of them make sense. Some of them are for sure over priced but I get the hype and price now way more than I initially did

DesertGladiator

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
I remember before I knew anything about camping, offroading, overlanding, whatever you want to call it, I walked into turtle back trailers in AZ thinking I was about to look at and potentially order a trailer for MAYBE 10k. When they showed me around and we got to talking prices (30-60k) I about had an aneurysm.

but, over time I have seen bad and good and the prices for a lot of them make sense. Some of them are for sure over priced but I get the hype and price now way more than I initially did
That's definitely the truth. You can glamp these things up pretty nicely. I started with something really basic and am just adding as I go I guess, figuring out what I need for my camping needs here in AZ. That Dweller mentioned above is like my dream trailer.
Sponsored