First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
IT Manager
Being my age with a history of an enlarged prostate, I get up several times at night to go pee. The thought of climbing up and down a ladder makes an RTT a non-player for me. You'll be delighted to know I have no photos or videos of that. ;-)
I see this statement a lot...I think y'all need to invest in a slide for the back window of a RTT!
Sponsored

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
Feeling like this is a parody thread but here are mine:

(1) Stability... a RTT is a lot of weight high on the vehicle and it makes a world of difference in off-camber situations. You can mitigate this by tucking it behind the cab but that comes with its own issues of rack vs cap and less height for cargo.

(2) Payload... 150lbs is 10% of even a Max Tow's payload that can be spent on more important things like armor. My ground tent is under 20lbs with footprint and a set of good pegs.

(3) Having a base camp is a huge plus. I can leave the tent when I go out exploring for the day and generally not worry about having to find a new spot each day because someone sniped it.

(4) The mattress sucks for side sleepers and my wife and I both hated it. It's a lot easier dealing with the Exped in the 4-person ground tent than in the RTT.

(5) Setup/teardown isn't as fast as you think. Yeah, it's quicker than my tent but it's definitely not faster than my swag when I go solo.

Highwaystar13

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport w/ Max Tow, 2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Business Quality Consultant
When I'm drunk as hell and have to take a leak at 3 am the last thing I need is a 6 foot fall on my face.

I'm perfectly capable of falling on my face at ground level. ;)
That's why God made funnels with a hose attachment LOL ;)

Sponsored

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Military Engineer
RTTs v. Ground Tent from an Alaskan perspective:
RTT Pros: gets you off the ground and away from ground critters, gets you off the ground and in the air flow to help with the Mozzies, and gets you off the ground when the afternoon snow melt floods cause the river to over-flow its banks.

RTT Con: Since Grizzlies aren't usually tree climbers, they have to push your entire vehicle on to its side to get to you. The extra exertion will piss them off even more than usual and cause them to maul you more seriously than just a snapped neck or crushed skull. Also, forcing Griz to put out that much effort to eat you upsets Environmentalist, who view it as taunting bordering on animal cruelty.

So, keep an environmentalist happy, our Ursine cousins well fed, and make both their lives that much easier by sleeping on the ground.

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
I'm jacking this thread momentarily. Check out this variant.

Man Builds His Own Floating Island Using Over 150,000 Recycled Water Bottles

Jeep Gladiator So why do people like ground tents? Rbde1d19d35a033f49b829b149f4fbed5

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Military Engineer
5JeepsAZ - Floating island of plastic bottles right up there with the Redneck who put foam insulation pontoons and electric trolling motor on folding lawn chair. Digging it.

Alans17

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
I’m a ground tenter for several reasons:
  1. I had the camping gear before I got the Jeep so it’s already bought and paid for.
  2. I’ve got a family of 4 so a ground tent can fit us (and our stuff) better.
  3. I travel heavy. With a RTT, you have to set camp every single night and tear down every single morning. With a ground tent, you only have to do it once per location. If you’re always moving, this point is moot.
  4. RTTs cost waaaaay more. I could outfit an entire campsite with money left over for the cost of the RTT.
  5. My garage is already packed so I’d have to store it on my Jeep full-time.
  6. Buying a RTT inherently means you’re also buying a rack, another major expense

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I'm jacking this thread momentarily. Check out this variant.

Man Builds His Own Floating Island Using Over 150,000 Recycled Water Bottles

Jeep Gladiator So why do people like ground tents? Rbde1d19d35a033f49b829b149f4fbed5
I remember seeing that a few years back.
I’m a ground tenter for several reasons:
  1. I had the camping gear before I got the Jeep so it’s already bought and paid for.
  2. RTTs cost waaaaay more. I could outfit an entire campsite with money left over for the cost of the RTT.
  3. My garage is already packed so I’d have to store it on my Jeep full-time.
I'm with you on the reasons you covered. Heck a lot of my gear is older than many on the forum.
A interesting thing is the actual cost of some of the RTT being sold AKA over priced. I priced a HT RTT available in USA by some $2500 to $4000 cost where many are made cost 1/5 if I bought 1 direct ($550) "bare no mattress(?) lights ect" plus S&H, import duties added it came out to about $800 if I got 10 cost drops dramatically plus my choices of colors and logos, 10-20 less than $500 each. So on and on. I started working on a order in January and almost made a order but it changed it from 1 to 10. (I didn't want to get that dropped on my CC. and no one else to get the others.) Plus no storage space.

Kudo's to one that's posted on here (JT forum) for not raping everyone buying their's. I'd think about getting from them, if I get one. All the bells and whistles complete package deal.

Sponsored

ttn333

First Name
Tuan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
It's too much of a hassle considering I don't camp often enough, less than a hand full of times a year. I don't want to drive around with all that gear on the truck. Makes me chuckle every time I see one of these pristine trucks geared out as daily drivers. Having to mount and dismount every time would be a pain. So is storage for something that get so little use. I'll consider one (or a trailer) when I start to work less and able to camp more.

2021-JT-Mojave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Sleep on the ground with the critters
Take longer to setup and break down
The tent and any mattress you may use take cargo space
RTT is generally speaking, more confortable

:like:
I think its a few main factors...first rtt’s are much more expensive. Secondly, for a daily driver, one is carrying a lot more weight around and taking the rtt on and off is not fun on a regular basis. Lastly it impedes carrying loads in bed if you use your truck...so to me its these 3 factors. If you have a weekend Jeep only (not a daily driver and don’t need the bed height...then yes get rtt (if you can afford).

syreeves

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR 6MT, 2013 Volvo XC90, 2003 LR Disco
Occupation
Liquor Attorney. So not all bad...
Sleep on the ground with the critters
Take longer to setup and break down
The tent and any mattress you may use take cargo space
RTT is generally speaking, more confortable

:like:
Money. Ground tent is more cheaper and offers more flexible pitching options You can heat it with a wood stove too.
Jeep Gladiator So why do people like ground tents? Zoom Background

I used to be able to sleep in the back of my Land Rover and only needed it 2-3 times a year. And it was STEALTHY. I'm not interested in spending $3K for 3 nights a year...
Jeep Gladiator So why do people like ground tents? Cargo Space Closed 2

Jeep Gladiator So why do people like ground tents? Cargo Space Length Close U
Jeep Gladiator So why do people like ground tents? Cargo Space Open

Finally - I'm worried some pranker is going to steal the ladder if I pitch the RTT in a walmart parking lot on a long road trip...