Sponsored

Why are off-road teardrop trailers so doggone expensive?

JT_Jeff

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Rubicon, 2016 Husqvarna FE350S
Like others said...supply and demand. I was going to pull the trigger on one but all that I researched will be $25k+ spec'd out like I would like (Vorsheer would be in the 40s) with a waiting period of 3-12 months. The manufacturers all seem to have more work than they can handle at the moment and I wonder when that market will get saturated. I am expecting a lot of rarely used RVs of various types to be on sale next year when people made purchases to keep them occupied during COVID.

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
I liked the Opus, my sweetie likes the Black Series Patron. Since she's buying it, her call. They don't seem unreasonably expensive for what you get. Conventional on the road travel trailers are NOT strong even with walk-on roofs and aluminum structures. $25K for an overland trailer you can take amazing remote, empty places or $25K for a Rockwood MiniLIte that stays in a campground or RV camp to be right next door to a bunch of people. Seems a fair value.

Bowerss2

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Gladiator, 1980 Chevrolet Corvette, 1930 Ford Roadster Pickup, 1930 Ford Station Wagon, 1930 Ford Phaeton, and an awesome 2004 Ford E-250 (the dangerwagon)
Why are the Rooftop Tents so expensive as well? There don't seem to be many that you can get for under $1,000.00. There seems to be a growing demand for them, and they aren't so different from ground tents that they should command the prices they do in my opinion. Overlanding is obviously and expensive past time to take up. I have an old aluminum pop up tent trailer from 1969 that I am considering taking off it's trailer frame and mounting on top of my galdiator bed rack as an experiment. It would be heavier than most RTTs but it would sure be funny to drive to an overland event. It would look something like this.... :giggle:
Budgetlander.jpg
RTTs are expensive because they are the current trendy overland accessory. I prefer a large ground level tent. Overlanding doesnt have to be expensive, the sales guys of aftermarket parts companies just want to make it that way haha.

LTCSlacker

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon (Billet Silver)
Occupation
Military Officer
A lot of the money for a RTT goes into the support/flooring that isn't on a ground tent. And the mechanics to have it fold up so well.

On a separate note, my contact for the Opus trailers thinks that the OpLite trailer will come in well under 20K to start, which is good.

Sponsored

BajaDrifter

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
I happen to agree that most of these small overland trailers are over priced for what they are, especially the decked out ones. For the money one would spend, you can pretty much get a full size travel trailer with all the goodies. I did find these smaller viking trailers. They don't look like they would hold up on a rough 4X4 trail, but I don't think it would take much to beef up the suspension a few notches. At over 8K one gets most everything, a frige, stove, sink, and even AC.

https://www.jrvcountry.com/rv/2020-VIKING-EXPRESS-90-TD

PapiSmurf

First Name
Casey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport Max Tow
Occupation
Sales
What kind of trailer is that? Also what other trailers were you looking at and what made you pull the trigger on the one you got?

I’m currently looking at the opus lite. Seems like the best bang for the buck and it will fit in my tiny garage.

LTCSlacker

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Military Officer
What kind of trailer is that? Also what other trailers were you looking at and what made you pull the trigger on the one you got?

I’m currently looking at the opus lite. Seems like the best bang for the buck and it will fit in my tiny garage.
I believe that is an Off Grid Trailer - Expedition 2.0 model

https://offgridtrailers.com/

PapiSmurf

First Name
Casey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Sales
Pretty sweet set up. Adding it to the list lol.

Sponsored

LTCSlacker

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Military Officer
Pretty sweet set up. Adding it to the list lol.
I think I've changed my mind against the Opus I was considering.

RIght now, if funds support it, I am leaning towards a Patriot - they are sick (in a good way!)

PapiSmurf

First Name
Casey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Sales

RIght now, if funds support it, I am leaning towards a Patriot - they are sick (in a good way!)
Agreed but don’t they start at 34k? I need to put together a spreadsheet of all the different campers, specs and cost to help make a decision. The biggest factor is being able to fit in my garage.

LTCSlacker

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Military Officer
Agreed but don’t they start at 34k? I need to put together a spreadsheet of all the different campers, specs and cost to help make a decision. The biggest factor is being able to fit in my garage.
Yes - they are expensive. My family is in Kansas City, and we took a trip down to Oklahome, where the U.S. dealer is, and were very impressed. Expensive, but seems like a good purchase.

I'd love a Conquerer, but they cost more (and the Ohio dealer just changed to Kimberly, I believe).

If price were NO object, I'd be getting a Bruder...

d0n

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon

If you are considering a Patriot should probably consider Turtleback as well...https://turtlebacktrailers.com

LTCSlacker

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Military Officer
If you are considering a Patriot should probably consider Turtleback as well...https://turtlebacktrailers.com
We did look at them at an Overland expo. I like that the Patriot X3 allows for a space to sit, inside, during incelement weather - something that the Tutrleback lacks.
Sponsored