So why do people like ground tents?

ttn333

First Name
Tuan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
One more important factor someone else mentioned. We are a family of 4, so that's going to be hard for a RTT fit. Also, having a 4 and 7 year climbing up and down at night for restroom is going to be a pain in the behind. I guess that makes it two things.
Sponsored

Alans17

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
I found this online....
7D8FF880-FA22-4A37-9EF7-66F1BF009921.jpeg
I saw this and actually think it’s pretty cool, but it still doesn’t solve my 4-person problem or my having-to-pack-everything-up to move problem. If I were doing a lot of camping with just my wife, I’d probably give it serious consideration.

syreeves

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR 6MT, 2013 Volvo XC90, 2003 LR Disco
Occupation
Liquor Attorney. So not all bad...
I like the Napier's Sportz tents and have used them for years. I have one for the OVERLORD now. Had one for each previous truck as well.

Napier Sportz Tent for Jeep Gladaitor pics at DuckDuckGo

286.jpg
I think those are cool looking but I always wonder: where is your stuff? Cooking stuff, cooler, recreational gear, pew pew targets whatever... I see these tent campers in advertisements and its like the people in the ad are doing only one thing out in the wilderness - occupying their tent!

PS - cool rig and nice tent tho đź‘Ť

OVERLORD

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
I think those are cool looking but I always wonder: where is your stuff? Cooking stuff, cooler, recreational gear, pew pew targets whatever... I see these tent campers in advertisements and its like the people in the ad are doing only one thing out in the wilderness - occupying their tent!

PS - cool rig and nice tent tho đź‘Ť
Once set up? In the cab!

Sponsored

OVERLORD

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Well in an F350 yeah of course! JT not so much... :CWL:
Never been a heavy packer, even with someone joining me, just what's needed, the Gladiator has more than enough room for any needs I've come across. Did the same with the Ford Escape that I had, with a Sportz tent. It works.

Last edited:

syreeves

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR 6MT, 2013 Volvo XC90, 2003 LR Disco
Occupation
Liquor Attorney. So not all bad...
Never been a heavy packer, even with someone joining me, just what's needed, the Gladaitor has more than enough room for any needs I've come across. Did the same with the escape that I had with a Sportz tent. It works.
It all depends on who you are camping with...
Jeep Gladiator So why do people like ground tents? IMG_6883

Mayhem 6

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR; 2020 JLUR; 2015 JKW; 2016 JKUR (Sold); 2014 JKSS (Sold); 2008 JKUR (Sold)
I ran an RTT on my Wrangler for a bit, then slapped it on a trailer because I got tired of breaking camp to go wheel and sucking gas mileage for no reason day to day.

Now, I run the RTT on the trailer with a OzTent F25 ground tent, because 1) too many in family for RTT alone anymore, 2) dog, 3) gives me the option to throw the ground tent in the bed of the gladiator when I don't want/need to take the trailer.

If it's just me going out anymore to wheel...I honestly am at the point I keep a cooler in the bed and string the hammock and rain fly up between two jeep or mine and a tree.

Sponsored

Jaciro

First Name
Jaciro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep
Occupation
cars
If you want to feel the whole camping experience, you should have a tent on the ground. At first, I was disgusted and afraid that all the bugs and insects would walk around my body once I slept on the ground. After I found this platform https://midwestcamping.org/index.php/2021/10/14/8-types-of-tents-camping/, I understood that you want comfort and the best sleeping experience, then camping it's not for you. After I tried it for the first time, I understood it's not that bad, and you can enjoy it if you leave your airs and graces at home.

Last edited:

JDChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JT Mojave
Not too many RTT that are tall enough or long enough to comfortably fit someone 6'4". Call me crazy, I like to stand up sometimes and not be crouching over all the time. Even if I were 25 years younger I don't think I'd be in the market for a RTT.

BajaTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JT Mojave - 2003 TJ Rubicon -2008 JKU Rubicon
Seems like the SUV tent would alleviate most of the above complaints. You sleep elevated in the truck bed yet still have a freestanding ground tent. Easy to pee at midnight. When you go wheeling it’s a minimal transition, leaving behind the tent intact for storage and holding your campsite claim. Of course you would need a cap, or Softopper, or tonneau of sorts.
Jeep Gladiator So why do people like ground tents? BCBC3A9B-5B7E-47AF-8F03-251BA6FCF7F6

Last edited:

TroutFishingInAmerica

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mojave
I have a Go Fast Camper and absolutely love it. Wasn't sure if I was wasting my money or how much I would use it, I use it more than I ever imagined. It's just fantastic. I ground camped for years and can't say anything bad about it. I sometimes carry a ground tent also. If there is a pristine spot by the creek you can't drive to, pitch the tent. Each has it's purpose. No regrets with the GFC. Hell, I can pop the top, put out my awning, pull out the camp chairs, and have a beer or fishing pole in my hand in less than 5 minutes.
Sponsored