Sponsored

Soft top back, rear window in, OK to drive that way?

Rocksalt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport
Been on the HWY, 65 mph, top folded back, rear window in. Seemed fine.
What Soft Top Storage Bag???? Lol
Sponsored

chjopf

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Short answer - no, you don't have to remove the rear window and quarter panels. Yes, some models should come with the rear window storage bag and have not.

Here is my story. I bought a new gladiator in July. Dealer showed me how to put the soft top in the sunrider position. Nice and easy. No mention of needing to take out the rear window or quarter panels. The small manual that came with it and the one sheet pamphlet tell you how to remove them but don't say its necessary. A couple of days later I look at the video and it says it is necessary. Bummer. Whats the right answer? Back to the dealer. They aren't sure. Open a case with Support. They say it is necessary and refer me to the larger online manual that also says its necessary. Wow! That sort of defeats the point of having a roof that goes up/down quick and easy like that. Now I have to do this extra work and store the stuff. What if I want to put the top down on a day where it might rain later? I have to carry the window and panels with me in the truck. Seems like a poor design.

Next thing in the video is that it says put the window in the "provided" storage bag. Well, I don't have one. All the other manuals are written as if it is included too. OK, back to the dealer. Dealer pulls the full 'option report' that supposedly lists everything in the car even standard included items and its not on there so they say its not supposed to be included.

Open another case with support to confirm and they confirm. I tell them they need to update their documentation.

So a few days later I'm thinking the documentation is clearly wrong about the window. Maybe its wrong about the need to remove the window/panels too. The support person only said I had to because it was in the online manual she was referring to. What if the manual is wrong?

Meanwhile I found this forum and realized I'm not the only one asking these same questions and pointing out that the documentation is not correct and the dealerships don't know. So this time I send an email to the CEO Mike Manley explaining everything I had done and asking for confirmation on what is correct and suggesting that they need to update their documents to reflect what is correct. The next day I get a call from someone in his office who said they would check with the brand manager and get back to me. A week back they call me back and this is the result.

1. The rear window and quarter panels do NOT need to be removed to drive with the top down. They need to update their video and documentation to reflect that and are already working on it but don't have timeline.

2. The storage bag IS SUPPOSED TO BE INCLUDED in some models. Overland (my model) and Rubicon should get it but Sport and Sport S do not. So I am supposed to have the bag and they are shipping it to me. Again, manuals and videos need to be updated to reflect this and they need to update whatever issue they have in their system that is not including it when its supposed to.

So its OK to drive with the window and quarter panels left in and if you have an Overland or Rubicon and didn't get your storage bag you need to open a case with Support and get it. If you aren't getting the results you need you might want to go to the CEO yourself. Until they fix this and/or advise their support staff and dealerships what is correct they are going to keep getting these questions.

This was a huge hassle for me but I was clearly not convinced of what I was being told and the reason is that their own documentation is contradictory. So it is clear that the dealerships aren't sure what is right and neither is their support team. In the end I got the answers I was hoping for so it all worked out.

OP
OP
ScottV

ScottV

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Thank you very much for going "up the chain of command" with this! I gave up at the dealer level. It's nice to have real confirmation from Jeep. Hopefully they'll update the manuals accordingly (including some description of those mysterious elastic straps, which I think we've determined also serve to help hold down the soft top). They could also add in the tailgate load limits while they're at it.

I still don't believe the soft top window storage bags exist -- a couple folks on this forum claim to have one, but I've seen no photographic evidence :) When I ordered my Sport S in late April, the storage bag was was a $75 option, and I ordered it. It wasn't in the vehicle when I took delivery in June, and my dealer has ordered me one, with no arrival date in sight. I checked the Jeep web site a few weeks ago and it no longer appeared as an orderable option.

chjopf

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Thank you very much for going "up the chain of command" with this! I gave up at the dealer level. It's nice to have real confirmation from Jeep. Hopefully they'll update the manuals accordingly (including some description of those mysterious elastic straps, which I think we've determined also serve to help hold down the soft top). They could also add in the tailgate load limits while they're at it.

I still don't believe the soft top window storage bags exist -- a couple folks on this forum claim to have one, but I've seen no photographic evidence :) When I ordered my Sport S in late April, the storage bag was was a $75 option, and I ordered it. It wasn't in the vehicle when I took delivery in June, and my dealer has ordered me one, with no arrival date in sight. I checked the Jeep web site a few weeks ago and it no longer appeared as an orderable option.
There are straps called hook and loop fasteners that you are supposed to wrap around the linkage to secure the top in position when its lowered. I drove around a few times without them and didn't have any issue but you are supposed to use them. I guess with a strong wind gust it might be possible to pop the top up if you weren't using them. Mine didn't ship with those either and I had to wait for the dealer to order them. They are supposed to be standard included items whenever you buy the soft top.

For a 'Sport' or 'Sport S' model the bag is not an included item. It is a $75 option. It is supposed to be standard for the Overland and Rubicon and he said he was going to ship me one. That came from the CEO's office so hopefully I'll get mine. I have an Overland. They are clearly very confused on their end and I suspect its a mistake in their database as to when to include or not include it that is causing all this. Either way their documentation is also misleading as it doesn't depict a difference between Sport vs. Overland/Rubicon and simply says it is there. Not the dealer's fault on these. If their documentation is wrong and their own support team is still referring to it without knowing what the right answer is you couldn't expect the dealer to know any better.

Its a new model so you would expect some confusion. Its disappointing that their dealerships and support teams are giving incorrect answers though and that you have to go to the CEO to get what is supposed to be included. But they should get better with it by next year's model. I was hesitant to buy the first model out. Maybe it would have been better to wait but I finally have my answers now and everything is good.

Sladecm

First Name
Slade
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
All of the motorcycles...
I have driven on the interstate a lot with the top down and window in with no problem. I was told by the dealer when I picked it up that it was fine. I also recieved the storage bag, and paid $75 for it when I ordered my Rubicon.

Sponsored

jaciii2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland
I just contacted Jeep Cares and they disputed the window storage bag. I have an almost fully optioned Overland (no smokers, no block heater) I suppose I'll start the process with my Dealer, and then to Mike Manley. If you have his email, please PM me.

Kjm18

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sting Gray JT Rubicon - Delivered 7/23
Occupation
Attorney
I just contacted Jeep Cares and they disputed the window storage bag. I have an almost fully optioned Overland (no smokers, no block heater) I suppose I'll start the process with my Dealer, and then to Mike Manley. If you have his email, please PM me.
It does not automatically come with the Overland and Rubicon. It is an option that you have to pay for.

Jollydude101

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator JT
Read the thread trying to see if anyone had success rolling up the back window and the purpose of the elastic straps that come with the velcro straps. Figured I’d give it a go and had good success with it. The corners were able to stay in securely without the window holding them in place and the top could be in either position. Rolling it up is an option for more ventilation. It was a slight hassle rolling it but not hard, only a roll and a half is needed, no need to roll it like a sleeping bag. I might get a small section of corrugated pipe or something to help hold the shape but otherwise it stayed the way it needed to. The only caveat was that you need to remove the window from the track first and not just roll it straight up. Then slip it into the straps for storage and troll onward. Once you’ve unrolled it, the window will look jacked up but securing all the flaps into place will stretch it back out and return to its normal shape no worries.
Hope this helps.

A7F55C5C-0F80-4ACF-9F3A-DA8CC42390E1.jpeg

53216F71-1288-402A-AAA5-A0C3E408F556.jpeg

0D3C76FE-3A74-49DA-9296-DF9D524FA91E.jpeg

2307E1C9-B539-48E6-96CF-C88973FB3669.jpeg

E62799BE-A70B-49F0-9371-8104D66C2B5F.jpeg

4B1BA998-F0A1-4C11-B727-E68501CD8565.jpeg

shrinkhead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Launch Edition
This is excellent info here. Was curious what's those straps were for. Also good to hear the window doesn't blow out that easily which makes sense considering how well it is attached

Kjm18

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sting Gray JT Rubicon - Delivered 7/23
Occupation
Attorney
I've had my soft top for almost 10 months now and I drive it regularly with the back window in. Drove all over the place today with the top back and window in.

Sponsored

Incommando

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Sport max tow Sting-gray, ‘95 YJ
insert in owner’s manual

1F172968-B33D-42A0-BE34-6523494DCCC2.jpeg

Hockeypilot44

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Jeep Wrangler
I wouldn't roll the windows. Those straps will scratch the plastic window badly.

I use those straps when roof is down to keep the material from flopping around over the backseat passengers' heads.

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link
Here is what the window and column bag look like. Very well done at protecting the contents. I have driven my Rubicon JT with the top down and the window in or out at 85 mph with no ill effects. If there is a cross wind, sometimes you will get some noise from the top when the rear window is in and the top is back.

The columns never touch the window
Jeep Gladiator Soft top back, rear window in, OK to drive that way? BtBGzf

The felt cover with pad stops any creasing and scratching
Jeep Gladiator Soft top back, rear window in, OK to drive that way? r9MlCT

Fully folded and ready for storage
Jeep Gladiator Soft top back, rear window in, OK to drive that way? GYPGFe

Indavis01

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2016 Volvo Xc90 Polestar
Occupation
Finder of bad stuff and people.
Vehicle Showcase
Hijacking but not here....

In the soft top kit I have two velcro straps and two elastic loops with a snap on one end. I noticed the Male snap on either side of the rear soft top window. Is this to imply it is like the old TJ and YJ rear window where I can just roll it up and leave the sides in place??

Cant find much info for midway setups of the soft top.....yet.

Been a while since Ive had topless jeeps.... my other is a comanche so no fancy features.

Makes me regret not coughing up the extra 200 for the special bag for the rear window.
Thats exactly what its for. Quadratech has a youtube video where they install the premium soft top on the JL and they show how the rolled up back window rolls up and is held by the snaps.

Indavis01

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2016 Volvo Xc90 Polestar
Occupation
Finder of bad stuff and people.
Vehicle Showcase
I can't figure out what those elastic loops are for either ... neither could the salesman at the dealer. They were in my glove box along with the 2 velcro straps. Where did you see the male snaps? I couldn't find any; could that be because I have soft top only (no hardtop)? Anyone know what these are for? Maybe for Wrangler but mistakenly put in Gladiator? I've attached a pic.
Jeep Gladiator Soft top back, rear window in, OK to drive that way? GYPGFe
14:31 in
Sponsored