Sponsored

Spare tire worth the upgrade?

Upgrading/upgraded spare or keeping stock?

• Total voters

TheHime

First Name
Jaime
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep gladiator
Just curious on how many people plan to or have already upgraded their spare tire with the rest of their wheel setup.

I’m currently stock and trying to decide if it’s actually worth upgrading the spare tire. I plan on upgrading to 35s and if I run a flat I will use the spare only to make it to the tire shop. Most likely will patch.

Yes if you plan or have upgraded your spare.
No if you kept your spare with the donut it came with.
If other, comment if you went a different tire or wheel setup up from the rest of your current setup.
Sponsored

Last edited:

CerOf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JTRD
How do you answer a poll yes or no when the question asks if you do a or b? Yes to keeping the spare or yes to upgrading? Lol

no reason to get a new rim if storing in stock position; unless you need the offset to get it to fit. If you do need a rim with different offset, I’d just get the cheapest you can find.

I’ve kept my stock spare, even though I am on 35s.

there’s not a road or trail I’ll be on that I can’t limp off using the smaller spare.

when it’s time again for tires, I’ll keep the “best” and use it for a spare.

OP
OP
TheHime

TheHime

First Name
Jaime
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep gladiator
How do you answer a poll yes or no when the question asks if you do a or b? Yes to keeping the spare or yes to upgrading? Lol

no reason to get a new rim if storing in stock position; unless you need the offset to get it to fit. If you do need a rim with different offset, I’d just get the cheapest you can find.

I’ve kept my stock spare, even though I am on 35s.

there’s not a road or trail I’ll be on that I can’t limp off using the smaller spare.

when it’s time again for tires, I’ll keep the “best” and use it for a spare.
Lol very good point. I should have put upgraded, upgrading or stock. I updated my first post. It won’t let me change the answers.

Gladman

First Name
Alistair
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Overland High Altitude Diesel
Occupation
Retired
Since most vehicles have for years now used a “donut” spare, significantly smaller and less capable than the original 4 on the vehicle, I think my oem size will suffice for at least 100 miles If needed. So no spare upgrade tire for me.

Sponsored

OP
OP
TheHime

TheHime

First Name
Jaime
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep gladiator
I’ve also thought about using my current tire as a spare instead of the donut when I upgrade. Only downfall is it will be harder to sell my stock tires with 3 matched and a donut.

CerOf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JTRD
Since most vehicles have for years now used a “donut” spare, significantly smaller and less capable than the original 4 on the vehicle, I think my oem size will suffice for at least 100 miles If needed. So no spare upgrade tire for me.
Actually, those donut spares are the same height as the four tires on the vehicle. Only difference is the section width.

Mismatched height is only a big issue on AWD vehicles or if you have a traction aid like a locker/lsd.

if I have to drive very far, I’d air down one of my 35s to about 20psi. This will bring its height down. My spare I’ll keep max inflated.

mstrav73

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
I have matching spare on both mine and my daughters gladiators. What if you have a tire failure on a Saturday night while out of town or while on vacation and Monday is a holiday? Piece of mind is worth it and this problem gets worse the bigger you get from stock size depending on model. I also flat tow mine so don't want it leaning while in tow, would suck.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
The only JT owners who have something extra to watch out for are the Overland owners.
Overland has 18" wheels/tires - except the spare. The spare is a 17" rim/tire.

Sponsored

Uparms

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT, 2020 JT, 72 CJ5,2005 LJ, 2002 TJ, 92 YJ
Vehicle Showcase
I kept a paint/finish defect wheel when I bought my 4 Mopar 8.5s and am looking for a used 35 to match my 4 on truck. I don't in any way plan a 5 tire rotation. Just been doing 4 tire rotations. If I wanted to, which I don't, 35's some tires were hard to find and on sudden back order due to the Covid? Just bough a new 6K lbs. jack at 24 inch high and a new impact wrench, rotate this weekend!!

But yes, get a full size matching spare, used or new.

Wilkerbeast

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Freedom Edition
Occupation
Aviation Technician
Vehicle Showcase
Probably depends on if your Gladiator is a mall crawler or use it for exploring. Don't wanna be in the thick of it and stuck with a 31 in street tire trying to get through mud and ruts. I plan to upgrade mine.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Probably depends on if your Gladiator is a mall crawler or use it for exploring. Don't wanna be in the thick of it and stuck with a 31 in street tire trying to get through mud and ruts. I plan to upgrade mine.
What if it's used as a TRUCK? To haul stuff? (sometimes long distances) ;)
It IS a truck, after-all.

Jeep Gladiator Spare tire worth the upgrade? loaded-from-omaha

Jeep Gladiator Spare tire worth the upgrade? 20200211_163157_HDR

PDiddy

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Architectural Illustrator
I upgraded (35s). But after reading these post and thinking about it I shouldn’t have. The stock tire was a 33. That would have been perfectly fine to use as a spare and saves myself $280.

OP
OP
TheHime

TheHime

First Name
Jaime
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep gladiator
What if it's used as a TRUCK? To haul stuff? (sometimes long distances) ;)
It IS a truck, after-all.

That’s why I got the max tow on mine.
Sponsored