calipoontappa

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
@jakes5thjeep
Found a pic in the reviews w the winch you’re using.
Review said it sits a little low so the freespool handle might touch when engaged, just so you are aware.

20FED83D-596A-45F9-A89E-4CFC101F3AEE.jpeg
Sponsored

OP
OP
jakes5thjeep

jakes5thjeep

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JT Rubi
Occupation
Worker
@jakes5thjeep
Found a pic in the reviews w the winch you’re using.
Review said it sits a little low so the freespool handle might touch when engaged, just so you are aware.

Jeep Gladiator Steel bumper winch question. 20FED83D-596A-45F9-A89E-4CFC101F3AEE
Thanks.. I am aware. Thats why i was checking into the spacers on another thread. I got off work a little later than anticipated... and it is HOT today. So it may be waiting a couple more days, jobs like this usually take me longer for some reason or another.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
A Warn 10k and 12K fit no issues, not cutting no mods. The Warn mount required you to drill out the skid plate holes because the mount moved the location of the holes IF I recall correctly, I can’t remember. Can’t say that about any other brand winch as I haven’t tested those but both the Warn 10k and 12k fit with zero issue.
So really it's with Warn winches that there will not be any spacers or mods needed.
With the Apex 12, there will still be spacers needed.

And yeah, the Warn winch plate is one I looked at but decided against because you have to modify other things and it won't co-exist well with a front receiver.

I have been looking at the winch plate you mentioned because the rear bracket or mounting is up and not down. Mine is a pain in the butt due to the extra bolts holding the brackets that go down - and those brackets had to be cut to clear the skid plate brackets and they interfere a lot with the receiver.
(they say 5mm - if that's accurate it's actually a tad over 3/16 which ain't bad)

My only "issue" is that since that's not directly in the frame but in the bracket on the side of the frame - would it be as secure as if it was bolted directly to the frame below.

What's your opinion of it bolting up here - not directly on the side of the frame -
Jeep Gladiator Steel bumper winch question. 1656957157065

As opposed to bolting down here (green line) - clamped/bolted directly against the side of the frame -> (frankly, this is a pain in the rear with the front receiver which wants to use those same holes)

Jeep Gladiator Steel bumper winch question. 20201015_162032_HDR

Jeep Gladiator Steel bumper winch question. 20201014_095646_HDR

As far as the clutch lever............. I had to cut mine to clear the bar..... so there are solutions to even that.

Jeep Gladiator Steel bumper winch question. 20201015_170143_HDR

OP
OP
jakes5thjeep

jakes5thjeep

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JT Rubi
Occupation
Worker
So, I have my winch installed. What is the best way to get to the inner 4 bolts that attach to the frame? Take the skid plate off? There isn't a whole lot of room from the top..

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
So, I have my winch installed. What is the best way to get to the inner 4 bolts that attach to the frame? Take the skid plate off? There isn't a whole lot of room from the top..
I do all front bumper and/or winch install/removal with the skid plate off before I do anything else. So easy to get to everything from below with the skid plate off

Sponsored

OP
OP
jakes5thjeep

jakes5thjeep

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JT Rubi
Occupation
Worker
I do all front bumper and/or winch install/removal with the skid plate off before I do anything else. So easy to get to everything from below with the skid plate off
Yeah. Just as I was pressing send, I thought "I should probably just take the skid plate off".
What is the best way to address the spool release handle. I don't have a way to cut it or grind it off. Does that handle come off from the winch? It looks like it has a little allen screw holding it on. The spacers from that other thread, can I place those under the winch to raise it up?

Dougstdig

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JTRD - '08 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4
Yeah. Just as I was pressing send, I thought "I should probably just take the skid plate off".
What is the best way to address the spool release handle. I don't have a way to cut it or grind it off. Does that handle come off from the winch? It looks like it has a little allen screw holding it on. The spacers from that other thread, can I place those under the winch to raise it up?
Yes that little Allen head screw backs out to where you can pull that handle straight up. I took mine off and a buddy of mine cut it in his little portable bandsaw and then beveled edges see picture below. Other than that do not leave that lever off the winch. I’m not sure of the spacers that you’re referring to, but if they’re wants they came with the winch plate those need to go on the outboard frame bolts on the bumper when you slide it back on to the truck. I would not play spacers between the bottom of the winch and the winch plate. This would add undue leverage and possibly lesson your pull strength before failure.

9058837E-89F3-4182-AA19-9E40C356CF21.jpeg

884A3AE7-767C-472D-9946-761910295B06.jpeg

B68B904A-9736-4D86-8274-EB548D9B53A0.jpeg

BF558F0C-CE65-4865-8A2C-5DB4C260A576.jpeg

OP
OP
jakes5thjeep

jakes5thjeep

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JT Rubi
Occupation
Worker
Yes that little Allen head screw backs out to where you can pull that handle straight up. I took mine off and a buddy of mine cut it in his little portable bandsaw and then beveled edges see picture below. Other than that do not leave that lever off the winch. I’m not sure of the spacers that you’re referring to, but if they’re wants they came with the winch plate those need to go on the outboard frame bolts on the bumper when you slide it back on to the truck. I would not play spacers between the bottom of the winch and the winch plate. This would add undue leverage and possibly lesson your pull strength before failure.

Jeep Gladiator Steel bumper winch question. BF558F0C-CE65-4865-8A2C-5DB4C260A576

Jeep Gladiator Steel bumper winch question. BF558F0C-CE65-4865-8A2C-5DB4C260A576

Thanks for the input and the pics.
I will just leave the handle for now, until I can source someone to cut/grind it. No hurry, but could you give me the length of yours.
And since I'm going to cut the handle, I'm not going the spacer route. That seemed less than ideal.
Thanks again.

TTU03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Granite Willys
Any consensus on quality winch plates that require zero altering with factory steel bumper and factory steel skid plate? Several seem to change the fitment of the skid plate.

Dougstdig

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JTRD - '08 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4
Any consensus on quality winch plates that require zero altering with factory steel bumper and factory steel skid plate? Several seem to change the fitment of the skid plate.
The Warn bolted right up. No issues. This being said, I got some Factor 55 goodies and of course was sent the wrong fairlead. While checking out the install of the Apex unit I realized the Warn plate that goes between the bumper and fairlead was the high point. …meaning my rope would make contact. The new 1.5 fairlead is due in tomorrow, but I probably won’t have time to Jack with it until this weekend.

I absolutely would not “shim” the winch. The strength comes from sheer strength (horizontal / cross section) of the bolts. Not the clamping strength. If you were to add washers to shim the winch up, not only would either side of the big 12k probably make contact (see photos), you would change the leverage of the mounting bolts resulting in a possible catastrophic failure.

80E41761-DDFC-456B-9FF3-64A9F8CD8730.png

09829EC7-5691-4FC9-B030-8F7791E2E5BD.png

9AA71B11-2409-4E73-A584-6D880EFAFDD3.png

08ACA133-9BDF-4C03-965B-8F412232D6D8.png

Last edited:

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I’m not sure of the spacers that you’re referring to, but if they’re wants they came with the winch plate those need to go on the outboard frame bolts on the bumper when you slide it back on to the truck. I would not play spacers between the bottom of the winch and the winch plate. This would add undue leverage and possibly lesson your pull strength before failure.
The knock-off bumper comes with a winch plate that covers all 4 bumper mounting holes on each side so no spacers there unless you use the forum member made spacers to move the bumper out for clearance with the winch.
Otherwise, no spacers come with the APEX.
I suspect he was meaning coming up with spacers to raise the winch.
I'd never put washers under the winch - you want the winch and plate to act as one when bolted up.
If I was ever to use any spacer to lift the winch, it would be a plate that covered the whole contact area and then I'd likely bolt it to the winch plate then bolt the winch in place, making it as one piece.
I want that winch base and plate to be in contact with each other and be as one unit.

I've been looking at the bulldog plate because it looks like the warn plate wants to use the holes my receiver uses.
Sponsored