Sponsored

Steel or Synthetic

LoJac963

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
If you are setup for synthetic already, put it on. Just put a coveron it so it doesnt get womped by the sun. In operation the ambient heat won't be enough to degrade it and it'll feel a lot better on the hands than a hot glistening steel rope.
That is a great point. I have not put the synthetic line on the winch yet but I think I will after seeing that video and just find a nice cover for it. Thanks!
Sponsored

ACAD_Cowboy

First Name
Francis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 jkur

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
If you are new to winches, save the money spent on the upgrade and buy some sheaves and shackles, say 4 shackles and 2 sheaves, and take the time to learn the winch. When you feel you've suffered enough then make the jump.
I'm going to have to go the opposite here. To me, synthetic is the answer to this question 98% of the time, especially to someone who is new and might learn a very harsh lesson if they fuck up with steel. A cover is a very cheap and easy investment if protecting the rope is a concern.

IMO the weight savings are worth it too. Between synthetic rope, soft shackles, and snatch rings, I'll be saving about 50lbs on my recovery kit this time around.

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Synthetic winch line and a cover is my first choice after working with both. I've made 2or 3 covers for my winch and used them all the time it's not in use. This is a picture of my 20 year old Ramsey winch line and no I didn't have a hook on it. (Retired now) I only use it with shackles through that link laying on it. A cover can be just a few feet of marine vinyl wrapped around drum or covering the winch.

Jeep Gladiator Steel or Synthetic 15900270752951712031286259841468
Sponsored