Sponsored

Stinger Off Road 10” Radio Replacement

BrichJeepUtopia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
I have the same issue sometimes with Carplay but it's hit or miss. Sometimes it's crystal clear
I find it hard to hear phone calls when using carplay or bt. Definitely not as loud as oem. Any thoughts?

also do you need the sd card for navigation option to open?
Carplay phone calls have been pretty impossible to hear for me. Bluetooth phone calls are plenty loud, I can hear fine with less than half volume. Carplay can be turned up to max and I still cant hear well enough for a conversation. I purchased my unit the day it went available, its been this way since day 1. I just updated the firmware on the radio and the RadioPro advance module today, it had no change on the carPlay volume.
Sponsored

scourge

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Occupation
Police Officer
I know nothing about car stereos. Will this improve the sound of my upgraded Alpine system?

Anyone have a guess what I might be able to sell the 8.4 for?

j.o.y.ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland
I know nothing about car stereos. Will this improve the sound of my upgraded Alpine system?

Anyone have a guess what I might be able to sell the 8.4 for?
Wont improve much if anything in the sound. The head unit source isn't the limitations of the factory system, it's the speakers first.

Silverfox

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
What is keeping me from pulling the trigger is two items, 1. Not waterproof and 2. Does not work with the built in microphones. I don't want to have to add a microphone when the factory ones are there.
You own a Jeep that you have most likely replaced at least a half dozen factory parts and you won’t add a simple microphone? You don’t deserve a Stinger. It’s an amazing upgrade you’re missing out on.

Mighunter

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT, 2018 JLU, 2016 JKU, 1984 CJ7, 1971 CJ5
Occupation
Attorney
Any advice to get steering wheel controls to work? Tried to assign them in settings but it’s not working. Have the check engine light on now as well. I have the Tazer mini so not sure if that’s an issue and my firmware is from Feb of 2021 so update that but am I missing something on the controls?

Sponsored

Silverfox

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
Wont improve much if anything in the sound. The head unit source isn't the limitations of the factory system, it's the speakers first.
I added the Stinger to factory speakers and agree the sound improvement wasn’t overwhelming. I did, however, purchase a sub with built in amp and got immediate improvement with sound. Inexpensive way to go without upgrading speakers. Although I’ll be replacing my factory speakers and probably adding an amp to my system in the future but for now I’m very happy with overall sound improvement.

Mike - Stinger Off-Road

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
stingeroffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
2006 LJ Rubicon, 2020 JT Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Automotive Electronics
Any advice to get steering wheel controls to work? Tried to assign them in settings but it’s not working. Have the check engine light on now as well. I have the Tazer mini so not sure if that’s an issue and my firmware is from Feb of 2021 so update that but am I missing something on the controls?
Hey Joe,

For your steering wheel controls, this may be an adjustment on the module. If the radio type setting on the CH4A-JW18 isn't set to 4, that would cause the steering wheel controls not to work.

As far as a check engine light, there isn't really anything that the radio or interface would cause a check engine light. Unless when connecting the CAN connectors behind the glovebox, one didn't clip one in all the way.

Mighunter

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT, 2018 JLU, 2016 JKU, 1984 CJ7, 1971 CJ5
Occupation
Attorney
Hey Joe,

For your steering wheel controls, this may be an adjustment on the module. If the radio type setting on the CH4A-JW18 isn't set to 4, that would cause the steering wheel controls not to work.

As far as a check engine light, there isn't really anything that the radio or interface would cause a check engine light. Unless when connecting the CAN connectors behind the glovebox, one didn't clip one in all the way.
The check engine light seems to have fixed itself. As far as the radio type setting, not sure what you mean by that. I was also told that the instructions were wrong and show the connection for the steering wheel controls to connect to a black wire but should be to a red or orange one.

I have to take the dash apart soon to see how I connected it.

glady8or

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S
Had my heigh 10 in since June and this past weekend the back up camera stopped responding saying “operation unavailable start engine” except the engine is running…I updated the stinger firmware but no change. Thoughts or similar experiences?

388A77CF-2337-4640-BA16-88E788B114BA.jpeg

0DAEDCD2-9E30-49DC-8FD5-2F5EDDBB03CB.jpeg

glady8or

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S
I added the Stinger to factory speakers and agree the sound improvement wasn’t overwhelming. I did, however, purchase a sub with built in amp and got immediate improvement with sound. Inexpensive way to go without upgrading speakers. Although I’ll be replacing my factory speakers and probably adding an amp to my system in the future but for now I’m very happy with overall sound improvement.
totally disagree. I added to the factory alpine upgrade speakers and the sound quality dramatically improved from the stock head unit. Broader overall sound with deeper cleaner bass.

Sponsored

glady8or

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S
What is keeping me from pulling the trigger is two items, 1. Not waterproof and 2. Does not work with the built in microphones. I don't want to have to add a microphone when the factory ones are there.
The built in microphone works just fine…

lordtygr

First Name
Tyson
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
My camera has been finicky since day 1. Including on the factory head unit. It will randomly decide not to work but it usually comes back after a restart. Part of the reason I upgraded. I thought it was in the crappy 5” mopar unit and that upgrading would fix the issue. Neither the pioneer with the maestro interface not the stinger has fixed it. So it must be something with the cam. Unfortunately, since I upgraded I don’t believe the dealership will fix under warranty as they will likely blame the stinger and im not gonna un/reinstall again, lmao.

Had my heigh 10 in since June and this past weekend the back up camera stopped responding saying “operation unavailable start engine” except the engine is running…I updated the stinger firmware but no change. Thoughts or similar experiences?

Jeep Gladiator Stinger Off Road 10” Radio Replacement 0DAEDCD2-9E30-49DC-8FD5-2F5EDDBB03CB

Jeep Gladiator Stinger Off Road 10” Radio Replacement 0DAEDCD2-9E30-49DC-8FD5-2F5EDDBB03CB

Mike - Stinger Off-Road

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
stingeroffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
2006 LJ Rubicon, 2020 JT Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Automotive Electronics

This could be resolved with a firmware update on the CH4A-JW18 module itself if you only updated the HEIGH10.
Go to Advanced Vehicle Features > Installer Settings and check that v14 is installed on the module.
If you have already done that or continue to have issues, give us a call at (727) 732-3114 and we can troubleshoot with you.

thabart

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Compass, 2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
The built in microphone works just fine…
So you don't have to use a separate external microphone? It works with the mic's already in the truck?

Tim
Sponsored