Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi, 18 JLU Rubi, 2008 JKU Rubi, 07 Vette
I took my 2020 Gator in for the software update and gear box upgrade. My tech told me that the software update was unavailable atm. This was last week. All I drove away with was the new gear box. I think they are rethinking just doing a software update.
That's the first manual gearbox I've heard of getting replaced, so I don't think there's any rethinking going on. I've seen/heard of more auto transmissions being replaced, by far, but still not enough to indicate any fundamental problem. (There are far more of them, so percentage wise it is still certainly very, very low probablility.)
Sponsored

SteveInOrlando

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Software Design
it finally came in today and we picked it up this afternoon.

One big problem is that there is no room next to the clutch pedal to rest your foot. I see a lot of Jeep drivers using the clutch pedal as a foot rest.

Does anyone have a fix for this? I'm thinking a pedal linkage that is offset a couple of inched towards the brake pedal. looks like it might be made of plastic, which would make it difficult to modify.

IMG_0109.JPG

IMG_0110.JPG
My solution is to bent your knee and place your foot flat on the floor right in front of the pedal.

SteveInOrlando

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Software Design
That's the first manual gearbox I've heard of getting replaced, so I don't think there's any rethinking going on. I've seen/heard of more auto transmissions being replaced, by far, but still not enough to indicate any fundamental problem. (There are far more of them, so percentage wise it is still certainly very, very low probablility.)
Have you crossed issues? They replace the steering gearbox! For the clutch they are simply doing a nerf of your computer. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't mind a transmission with a shorter reverse, but I don't see that happening. Rubicons in 4L barely move in reverse.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Have you crossed issues? They replace the steering gearbox! For the clutch they are simply doing a nerf of your computer. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't mind a transmission with a shorter reverse, but I don't see that happening. Rubicons in 4L barely move in reverse.
Guess I misunderstood it. He just said gear box, not steering gear box. Then that makes zero manual transmission gearboxes I've heard of needing replaced.

As for the software update, they are not rethinking it, according to a friend with FCA. They just developed the one for the later models sooner so dealers could sell them.

The Y07 is on its way and is like Johnny Cash. It's coming in June.

Sponsored

SteveInOrlando

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Software Design
Guess I misunderstood it. He just said gear box, not steering gear box. Then that makes zero manual transmission gearboxes I've heard of needing replaced.

As for the software update, they are not rethinking it, according to a friend with FCA. They just developed the one for the later models sooner so dealers could sell them.

The Y07 is on its way and is like Johnny Cash. It's coming in June.
No I think I replied to the wrong post. I meant to reply to the guy who stated they replaced his gearbox. My bad.

Choatecav

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Sales
it finally came in today and we picked it up this afternoon.

One big problem is that there is no room next to the clutch pedal to rest your foot. I see a lot of Jeep drivers using the clutch pedal as a foot rest.

Does anyone have a fix for this? I'm thinking a pedal linkage that is offset a couple of inched towards the brake pedal. looks like it might be made of plastic, which would make it difficult to modify.

IMG_0109.JPG

IMG_0110.JPG
I read this one and saw the part about some Jeep drivers "using clutch pedal as foot rest" and almost spit out my coffee...... Worst single thing you can do as it will devour your clutch. I had a summer job in college of working with a tree surgery group. Older fella in one of the dump trucks did just that and they went through clutches like there was no tomorrow.
I agree with the member that said in a Jeep you sit more upright and no slouching. It's like riding a horse, keep up straight and you'll ride better and experience less fatigue. Takes care of the foot issue, too.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No I think I replied to the wrong post. I meant to reply to the guy who stated they replaced his gearbox. My bad.
No prob. I'm used to being in a fairly constant state of confusion, so I really thought it was me, and it still sort of was.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I read this one and saw the part about some Jeep drivers "using clutch pedal as foot rest" and almost spit out my coffee...... Worst single thing you can do as it will devour your clutch. I had a summer job in college of working with a tree surgery group. Older fella in one of the dump trucks did just that and they went through clutches like there was no tomorrow.
I agree with the member that said in a Jeep you sit more upright and no slouching. It's like riding a horse, keep up straight and you'll ride better and experience less fatigue. Takes care of the foot issue, too.
Wow, yeah, that practice will most certainly get someone a burned up clutch and maybe a nice warm Jeep, too!

SteveInOrlando

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Software Design
I see a lot of Jeep drivers using the clutch pedal as a foot rest.
What do you do that you are riding with other drivers?

I have seen others make this assumption, when challenged on the assumption they have no fact to base it on. There may be a few people that ride the clutch this way, but I find it extremely difficult to believe that large numbers of people are doing it. You stated you have seen people doing it, how? More details!

This wouldn't be an issue if the clutch didn't start engaging as soon as your foot touches the pedal. The slight amount of air in the clutch system wouldn't have caused a problem if the clutch didn't engage at the slightest pedal movement. This is the reason every other clutch in the world engages near the bottom of the throw not the top! Even racing clutches engage at the bottom of the throw.

I gave up on FCA, and their incompetent design, and installed a Centerforce clutch. Night and day difference. It now feels and drives like a normal manual vehicle. Muscle memory works. This was probably the single best upgrade I completed on the vehicle. It is now a joy to drive!

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What do you do that you are riding with other drivers?

I have seen others make this assumption, when challenged on the assumption they have no fact to base it on. There may be a few people that ride the clutch this way, but I find it extremely difficult to believe that large numbers of people are doing it. You stated you have seen people doing it, how? More details!

This wouldn't be an issue if the clutch didn't start engaging as soon as your foot touches the pedal. The slight amount of air in the clutch system wouldn't have caused a problem if the clutch didn't engage at the slightest pedal movement. This is the reason every other clutch in the world engages near the bottom of the throw not the top! Even racing clutches engage at the bottom of the throw.

I gave up on FCA, and their incompetent design, and installed a Centerforce clutch. Night and day difference. It now feels and drives like a normal manual vehicle. Muscle memory works. This was probably the single best upgrade I completed on the vehicle. It is now a joy to drive!
Sorry, but if someone is doing that, it IS an issue even if the clutch engagement point is different. It is never a good thing to do. Never. I have seen people with my own eyes doing this, not on a JL, but not uncommon. So I would absolutely 100% assume some people out there are doing this. My sister used to wear out clutches in 25k miles. One of her several bad habits was to rest her foot on the pedal.

I have a buddy that will swear up and down he knows better than any of us because he's a professional truck driver. He wore his JK clutch out in less than 75k miles. I don't even bother discussing it with him. The good news is that he knows how to replace a clutch himself. Guess how he got good at that.

Munkey Boy

First Name
matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda CX-3, '79 CJ5, '21 JT Sport S manual.
Occupation
Camp Maintenance
Ooops, my bad. Drakenstein said this:
I took my 2020 Gator in for the software update and gear box upgrade. My tech told me that the software update was unavailable atm. This was last week. All I drove away with was the new gear box. I think they are rethinking just doing a software update.
...and I immediately went to the assumption that "gear box", in a thread talking about the clutch, meant transmission. I didn't think about the steering box. Totally on me. Carry on.

DRAKENSTEIN

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Mechanical Assembler
I'm a bit confused. Why did they replace your gearbox? There haven't been issues with the transmission, the recall focuses only on the clutch.
steering box that the tech kept calling a gear box. Just assumed I was incorrect calling it a steering box. Peace

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
Johnny Cash would get an aftermarket clutch gear box. Got it. Hey, the electric jeep has a manual. What exactly would that configuration look like and do? Four motors, including each wheel. Very confused about why you'll even need pedals in a motorized vehicle. I'm thinking joy stick.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Johnny Cash would get an aftermarket clutch gear box. Got it. Hey, the electric jeep has a manual. What exactly would that configuration look like and do? Four motors, including each wheel. Very confused about why you'll even need pedals in a motorized vehicle. I'm thinking joy stick.
They just put an electric motor in place of the engine, leaving the rest of the drive train essentially the same. The folks at EJS that drove it said it was pretty amazing and much more fun than a more typical electric vehicle.

I'll stick to the 3.6, though. I like the sound of an ICE.
Sponsored