Strike has begun

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aj58

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Mojave X
UAW and Stellantis couldn’t come to an agreement so the strike is officially starting.

Curious how long it will last and what kind of effect it will have on us. Will it push 24 gladiators back or will they just cut off 23’s after a certain time?
Sponsored

Rahkmalla

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Gobi Manual Mojave
Build Thread
Link
With the price hikes they have in mind and the no rebates on 24s, good money says they'll dump as many 23 orders as they can depending on what part inventory they have to clear. I'm sure they still have old infotainments kicking around they don't want to trash.

Union is asking for 46% more yearly pay with 25% less working hours. That's 82.5% more $ per hour... good luck.

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Yesterday morning I was hearing that it looked like it was a go that UAW, GM, and Stellantis had not come to agreement. Best of luck with it, however who wants what. I jaded with some of the union things.
Past family that were in UAW and personal experiences with different unions. The so called unions I was in or the one that recruited heavy of me. Were less than useful... you would pay dues and then they did nothing for members. If you was lucky just lip service. For some reason they would stick up for someone who had misconduct but that was about all. 🤨

A strike in support of other UAW members of different automobile manufacturer really hurt many union members and the automotive manufacturer a few decades back. It knocked one from it's prime down the list of top dog in that field of equipment.

I'm glad my Glad. is already made and mine.

j.o.y.ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland
Union is asking for 46% more yearly pay with 25% less working hours. That's 82.5% more $ per hour... good luck.
36% over 4 years which is 9% a year to catch up with cost of living from prior agreement. The 46% figure was an initial 40% request that's been backed down on, and the 40% over 4 at an annualized rate is the 46.

The 32 hour work week will not happen that's just in there to give up later.

Cburd61

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
I understand wanting more pay and better benefits, but, I think they are way out of line. I worked in the BMW plant in SC for 22 years, and we had forming a union tossed around for several years, but it never quite made it. We felt we were getting done dirty at times. The workers in Germany were getting yearly bonuses of, say, 15%, and were allocating as much for our plant, but the management at ours would skim half of it off for”plant projects”, etc. The last year I was there, before I retired, the newer hires received raises of around a dollar an hour, while the older workers received nothing. That plant did, (and still does), make BMW the most money of any plant, worldwide. Even with some of the dirty things they did, it was still decent wages and benefits, even if they did take some of it away over the years. However, from what I’ve read, I believe the UAW is currently asking a bit too much.

Sponsored

GeneralMaximus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTM
Curious how long it will last and what kind of effect it will have on us. Will it push 24 gladiators back or will they just cut off 23’s after a certain time?
Well, Jeep's got 90 days of inventory in stock. My guess is, at least a three month strike and dealers will get just the limited amount of JT's they've already made.

Rocksalt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport
considering that corporations and the top tier wealthy investors nake milliins in profits, and CEOs have continuously made increasingly more percentage wise over the years than the acarage worker, I support the unions in their fight for more livable wages. Those who dont can always buy 3rd world items much more cheaply.
I am surprised that anyone on this forum who might say buy American would then not support American workers.

glovesf15

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator
Occupation
Retired USAF
Having read the UAW demands; they seem unrealistic. Dealer lots seem to be “flooded” with Gladiators, not sure about other models. Corporate tactic to squeeze the union? Maybe, but 90 days of strike pay is going to hurt.

AmosMoses

First Name
Amos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator sport
Occupation
Manufacturing
considering that corporations and the top tier wealthy investors nake milliins in profits, and CEOs have continuously made increasingly more percentage wise over the years than the acarage worker, I support the unions in their fight for more livable wages. Those who dont can always buy 3rd world items much more cheaply.
I am surprised that anyone on this forum who might say buy American would then not support American workers.
Based on your spelling alone, Iam not surprised that you're surprised.

Sponsored

STACHES

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Alltrack, '74 X1/9, '71 240z, '66 C10
Occupation
Manufacturing Automation
Unions used to have the bargaining leverage of skilled workers producing quality work in the 60s and 70s. That was a long time ago.
Yeah, the big three should easily be able to replace these unskilled workers. It's not even really a strike because they have so many people lined up ready to do these jobs for less. 🤦‍♂️

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
We are in the beginning of a major transition in the auto industry.
Elon Musk has shown that with true innovation vehicles can be made more cheaply and better. The big 3 automakers have sat on their collective fat a$$es for decades and not really invested in true innovation.
They are now scrambling to catch up and as a result are having to pour billions into upgrading their manufacturing process including using more robotics (and therefore eliminating some jobs) as well as shifting to electrification (good or bad).

The Union is trying to claw back to the good ole’ days when in fact many of the workers will be out of a job in 5 years or so. In fact, if the Union gets their way the big 3 may go bankrupt by then.

I will say that the top tier of auto executives are getting paid outrageous sums and stupid bonuses even when their companies are not doing well. Performance bonuses are a joke at that level.

Status
Not open for further replies.