sun visor broken, $500

whiteglad

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
With 3000 miles on my JT, the driver's side sun visor pivot came out of the boss in the panel that bolts to the header. After removing the panel (two sheet metal screws, T25), I could see that there was a plastic ring broken off, which would normally keep the sun visor "rod" in place. The rod is actually a tube with wires through it, for the garage door opener switches.
A replacement is on order under warranty, but the dealer said it is back ordered until August 13. Of course, August in Vegas is when you most need a sun visor. Moreover, the cost is $500 for the assembly, so you definitely won't want to break one when out of warranty. Maybe Jeep Cares can help. I wish the design were easier to repair with cheap parts. I didn't think I did anything risky so worry that it could break again.

Jeep Gladiator sun visor broken, $500 101_1730.JPG
Sponsored

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon Gladiator, Toyota Prius, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Network Security
With 3000 miles on my JT, the driver's side sun visor pivot came out of the boss in the panel that bolts to the header. After removing the panel (two sheet metal screws, T25), I could see that there was a plastic ring broken off, which would normally keep the sun visor "rod" in place. The rod is actually a tube with wires through it, for the garage door opener switches.
A replacement is on order under warranty, but the dealer said it is back ordered until August 13. Of course, August in Vegas is when you most need a sun visor. Moreover, the cost is $500 for the assembly, so you definitely won't want to break one when out of warranty. Maybe Jeep Cares can help. I wish the design were easier to repair with cheap parts. I didn't think I did anything risky so worry that it could break again.

Jeep Gladiator sun visor broken, $500 101_1730.JPG
Thats just crazy. I really wish the garage door opener parts were not in there. I actually want to remove mine. I feel like I am going to end up breaking it with the latching and unlatching of the soft top. I have yet to ever use them for anything.

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
That doesn't make sense when BAM has them for $106. You'll likely pay MSRP locally but having removed mine, it's no more than an hour to even do yourself let alone a trained tech.

Unless I'm missing some part, it sounds like they're charging you 2.0 to do the work which is way over.

OP
OP
whiteglad

whiteglad

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
Service transferred me to parts dept. to set up the ordering of the part for the warranty repair. The parts guy said the part costs $500. I bought the JT from a dealer on the far end of the Vegas valley from me, and figured I'd get the repair done at their sister dealership near me, a Ram store. I hope he is getting the right part.

Sponsored

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
I also had one local dealership tell me a TPMS sensor is $89 when I got it from BAM for $39 so local dealerships can get fucked in general. Markup like that is insane when list is like $60.

Rocksalt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport
sadly this is another faulty design and has been discussed more on the JL Wrangler site

OP
OP
whiteglad

whiteglad

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
I talked to the parts dept. today, and the sun visor backorder is now extended to Sep. 2. If I can figure out how to contact Jeep Cares, maybe they can help. Parts guy said the visor has been revised several times and sells for $489. It is almost unbelievable that this part, the subject of a multi page thread on the JL forum, has not been re-designed to be more durable,, or cheaper to replace.

obrianmcc

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
I talked to the parts dept. today, and the sun visor backorder is now extended to Sep. 2. If I can figure out how to contact Jeep Cares, maybe they can help. Parts guy said the visor has been revised several times and sells for $489. It is almost unbelievable that this part, the subject of a multi page thread on the JL forum, has not been re-designed to be more durable,, or cheaper to replace.
This is where manufactures fall short IMO .... given the large number of vehicles sold their replacement/failure rate might sit well within their QC matrix, but when you can easily find reports of an issue they should take notice and proactively commit design resources to fixing the fault. It's not just Jeep ... all manufactures have gremlins they choose to ignore.

Sponsored

Sazabi19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Kia Cadenza, 2020 Jeep Gladiator JT Sport S
As someone who parks their truck outside of the garage I never use my garage door openers in my vehicles. If it weren't under warranty I'd ask them to put in the normal, non garage door opener visor in lol. That's probably about $30, or $70 cuz Jeep. Hell, you can probably get a super cheapy 1 that fits pretty much perfect from Amazon or eBay for like $10, not like the ones we have now are really high quality...

Sazabi19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Kia Cadenza, 2020 Jeep Gladiator JT Sport S
Here, give this to your service guy, tell him to save like $130 and get it sooner...

https://www.amazon.com/Mopar-2018-2...ords=jeep+jl+sun+visor&qid=1597421278&sr=8-27

OP
OP
whiteglad

whiteglad

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
Good news! Within a few days of contacting Jeep Cares, my dealer had the sun visor and installed it promptly, also did a Jeep Wave oil change. Thanks to both for their fast and effective help.

Sespe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S
Occupation
Retired Firefighter
Looks like I'm not the first after all. Time for my first warranty repair.
Jeep Gladiator sun visor broken, $500 20200926_184708

calipoontappa

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
less than 500 miles on mine when this happened. Have to wait a few weeks for a replacement.
Sponsored