Sponsored

Sunrider top year round?

brog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
Those of you with the Sunrider for Hardtop: Do you keep/plan to keep it on all year or switch back to the Freedom Panels in the Winter? I just ordered and am interested to hear from those that have it.
Sponsored

Empty Pockets

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S, Sting Ray, 6 Speed (YES!)
I purchased my Gladiator 9/30/19 and bought the Sunrider the next day. When the temps began to drop in November I pulled it off and reinstalled the freedom panels, as was the plan. About 3 days later I put my Sunrider back on and it has been on ever since. The Freedom Panels reside in the attic.
Why? I quickly found that 1-the Freedom Panels are not noticeably quieter except when sitting at a light beside a diesel. And 2-the Freedom Panels were no warmer, even when sub-freezing temps hit in Jan. Having the Sunrider on full time means that I am prepared for those rare winter temp spikes into the ā€˜60s. I live in the Atlanta area.

Willys2Gladiator

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Vehicle Showcase
Mines staying on until it needs replaced with a new one!!! Live this mod and it's no different than leaving a soft top on all year.
Open it up once and a while on a sunny winter day and dream about summer..............

Cleankat

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
I put the freedom panels back on for the winter. Once you take it off and put it on a couple times it's about a 5 minute job. Love my sunrider in the warm weather but its coming off in the next couple weeks, just think the freedom panels look better and it's quieter and better insulated.

OP
OP
brog

brog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
I've watched the install video and they say you need 2 people to put it on. Is it doable with just me? I know it can't be heavy but I didn't know if you need 2 to line it up.

Sponsored

Mkcagle

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JT Gladiator Sport S w/max tow
I've watched the install video and they say you need 2 people to put it on. Is it doable with just me? I know it can't be heavy but I didn't know if you need 2 to line it up.
One person install easy peasy install If you lift 10 pounds.

Moabite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
I put the Freedom Panels back on in the winter...quieter and warmer with the Hotheads. The switch either way probably takes less than 10 minutes and is easily done by one person. The Sunrider does not have to be dis-assembled to remove or re-install.

Ravenron

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Engineer
Hey Brog...welcome to the forum and congrats on the JT! Here in Colorado, I will definitely go back to the Freedom Panels. I also will be installing the Hotheads insulation panels. As has been said, I agree the Sunrider is the single best mod I've done and it'll be tough switching out but at first snow, I'll be glad I did. :like:

Sponsored

noside85

First Name
Edison
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Sting Gray
i had my freedom panels back on last winter. i guess i'll do it again, though not sure when and i was thinking about leaving the bestop on to take advantage of good days and the difference between that and a full soft top isn't much, i imagine. i'm in NC so the winters are cold but not horrible

OP
OP
brog

brog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
i had my freedom panels back on last winter. i guess i'll do it again, though not sure when and i was thinking about leaving the bestop on to take advantage of good days and the difference between that and a full soft top isn't much, i imagine. i'm in NC so the winters are cold but not horrible
Yeah, I'm in VA so I was thinking the same.

Bestop

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
The Bestop Team
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 JKU
Hey @brog
Bestop is headquartered in Colorado and everyone here who runs a Sunrider for Hardtop runs it all year long comfortably. Once you install it, I don't think you'll want to switch back but as others have mentioned, it's pretty quick and easy to do so if you choose.

Lee
- the Bestop team
www.bestop.com

OP
OP
brog

brog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
Hey @brog
Bestop is headquartered in Colorado and everyone here who runs a Sunrider for Hardtop runs it all year long comfortably. Once you install it, I don't think you'll want to switch back but as others have mentioned, it's pretty quick and easy to do so if you choose.

Lee
- the Bestop team
www.bestop.com
Thanks Lee. My Sunrider arrives tomorrow. I'm looking forward to it.

Rainman519

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Iā€™m in the same quandary of removing SfH or leaving it on. Bestop -any limitations on weight of snow/ice? Just to be safe, I may put the freedom panels back in.
Sponsored