Occupation
X-ray
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Build date: 11/19/19 @ 6pm
Mileage when it first occurred: 488
How many times has it occurred: 1
What exact codes did it throw: p0300
Is the issue on going? Y
If so, what has been done to try to solve the issue? Service scheduled for tomorrow 9/9/20 @830am
Was the issue ever fully resolved? TBD

I have had my Jeep Gladiator for 3 days when CEL came on. I have a micro mechanic reader that showed the p0300 code. Goes in for service tomorrow 9/9 for proper diagnosis. Thank god this is a lease and I will remain optimistic for a fix, but feeling the disappointment after only having the Gladiator for 3 days and only 100 personal miles.
Sponsored

mghoodlum

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Pearl Blue Rubicon on order
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Build date: 11/19/19 @ 6pm
Mileage when it first occurred: 488
How many times has it occurred: 1
What exact codes did it throw: p0300
Is the issue on going? Y
If so, what has been done to try to solve the issue? Service scheduled for tomorrow 9/9/20 @830am
Was the issue ever fully resolved? TBD

I have had my Jeep Gladiator for 3 days when CEL came on. I have a micro mechanic reader that showed the p0300 code. Goes in for service tomorrow 9/9 for proper diagnosis. Thank god this is a lease and I will remain optimistic for a fix, but feeling the disappointment after only having the Gladiator for 3 days and only 100 personal miles.
Have you had any warning lights associated with auto start/stop?

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
So I have seen posts on the updated software, and compression tests, and cam issues. These all can be tied together by the 3.6L engine controller. A large part of the engine's control strategy is phazing the cams to satisfy the airflow model that is used for fueling in different situations. This is not done by a map but a closed loop control system based on airflow needs for different driving modes. To "tune" it you set the desired centerline for a situation and it "phazes" the cams from there. Being as the engine has a fair number of operating criteria it uses to adapt to environment and driving styles, my guess is the airflow model gets into an area of timing air flow and fueling that hangs the cams in a bad spot with to much spring force, and it damages them. Then when a compression test is done, the results are low because the cam is either way out of phazes or the cam is flat spotted. If the problem has persisted enough you may be getting some cylinder damage. The software probably does fix the issue if it is not extremely damaged. My guess is the engineers are doing things to bring the closed loop control out of these corner cases. It feels peppier because they reset the cam phasing and you are now getting a proper air fuel mixture and compression from all your cylinders.
Nope - the VVL and VVT won't impact the cam lobes or damage them. I run far more lift and a whole lot more valve spring pressure on my flat tappet cams than these will ever see. These don't even have .5 lift at the max lift, plus, they are roller followers or lifters, not flat tappets rubbing on a lobe.
VVT only changes the timing of the cam lobes to open valves sooner or later - which of course has zero impact on the lobes. It shifts the power band up, or down, the RPM ranged based on torque and power needs. It's a modern version of the centrifugal cam timing of the 60s used for racing, and a version of what Mercedes has used for years.
VVL, variable valve lift, puts the INTAKE ONLY valves in low lift mode to reduce pumping losses and improve economy under low loads - and at lower RPMs. Getting up into the upper 2,000s RPM-wise, then it shifts into normal lift mode. They call it high, but it's normal, not higher than normal. And that's only something like .4" lift - which the exhaust valves run at all times. Only the intake valves are shifted into low lift of about a quarter inch with low power and lower RPM needs.
So that means when you are pulling a trailer, or other times you need the power, the intake valves go into normal lift mode.
Those cams can take that full-time if necessary. It's far less lift than I run on my 73 with flat tappets - I don't even have roller lifters like the 3.6 has.
I also run a Comp Camps xtreme energy cam in my 4.0 with MOPAR performance valve springs.
Those cams have radical ramps - they literally throw the valves open and then let them slam shut to get more air in and out in a short time. That way they can keep a slightly lower lift. It's like opening a door really fast, then at the last second, shutting it really fast. The result is more stress on the valve train - and more noise. So I run roller rockers on my 4.0 to lighten the valve train, reduce heat and wear.

If these cams are going south, they have a cam problem - the surface treating is not up to snuff, or their roller lifters are not rolling well. If it was due to the "pressure" then I'd be wiping out cam lobes every year - and anyone with a high performance cam would be trashing them constantly.
Cam loss is typically a failure of the treating processes, poor oiling, or trashy oil with a very low psi capability. I bet I run more spring pressure in my 360 - and my 4.0 with the xtreme 4x4 cam than they do.
These engines can run in full lift mode forever and ever - that's because that's how they used to run before VVL! VVL lessens the load, doesn't increase it. The Pentastar engine before just a few years ago ran at full lift (about .4 or so) full time. VVL simply lowers that lift to cut low load pumping loss and save fuel.

The software also handles the cooled egr issues - likely one reason the power is better after the fix (egr cools the combustion, and reduces NOX as I recall) If EGR kicks in at the wrong time, performance suffers. At least these use cooled EGR- unlike years ago where the EGR actually burned up aluminum parts due to the hot gases.

Sze1gl3r

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
X-ray
Have you had any warning lights associated with auto start/stop?
Yes I have, the auto start/stop warning had been on since I drove it off the lot. The button that shuts it off doesn’t appear to disable this feature. This has been reported, however with my Jeep sitting for going on 3 days this warning light has shut itself off. I haven’t been able to test it until I drive it to the dealership tomorrow for service.

dgulia

First Name
Raj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL; 2016 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk; 2017 Dodge Challenger RT
We all should just order a Bronco FCA doesn’t have a fix for it
On mine they did flight runs on Friday with data recorder and send the data to FCA today the FCA tech said to loosen the valve cover bolts and do the flight runs again
Don’t make sense.... it’s going to cause a oil leak
BTW I did reserve my Bronco today

Sponsored

Robicon

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
On mine they did flight runs on Friday with data recorder and send the data to FCA today the FCA tech said to loosen the valve cover bolts and do the flight runs again
If you think the Jeep has issues just wait till the Bronco comes!

dgulia

First Name
Raj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL; 2016 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk; 2017 Dodge Challenger RT
If you think the Jeep has issues just wait till the Bronco comes!
Atleast it will run more then 76 miles And 3 days and will allow me to put more miles On it then the dealer

mghoodlum

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Pearl Blue Rubicon on order
Build date: 11/14/19 08:00
Mileage when it first occurred: 11000
How many times has it occurred: 2
What exact codes did it throw: P0300
Is the issue on going?
Y
If so, what has been done to try to solve the issue? Have appointment Monday 9/7/20
Was the issue ever fully resolved?
NA

Since I purchased my truck I have always though that the idle was quite rough but never thought much of it. I have also had the AutoStart/Stop Disabled on several occasions but once again didn't' think much of it. My check engine light then came on but went off 2 days later. It came back on the next day. Used JScan to check for codes. I had P0300 pending and P0300. When I saw it was a misfire I remembered I see this thread often but have never explored it.
Dropped off at dealer today. It was already noted that I was due for a reflash. I’m guessing this is what gets done this visit...
Talked to dealership today and they said that the Jeep “definitely has some issue” and that they would be removing the valve covers to investigate further. I asked them if it was the left side but don’t have any other info yet.

OP
OP
GlacierGladiator

GlacierGladiator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Gladiator Rubicon, 2018 Subaru Legacy, 2012 Mercedes Sprinter
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
So you are going from one new vehicle that pulls most elements from the tried & true wrangler platform to a fully new developed vehicle and expect no issue? Good luck.

Sponsored

JeepCares

First Name
JeepCares
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Family
Occupation
Customer Care
@Gijohn96, @dgulia, @lewishouse, @speedracer0481,

We're sorry to hear that the TSB remedy did not alleviate your vehicle concerns. We would like to have this feedback forwarded internally. Please send us a PM with your VIN, name, and dealer so that we can have this documented. Thank you!

Darlene
Jeep Cares

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I wonder if those hearing the "ping" - possible detonation - could also be solved by the TSB since it addresses the EGR and other things that WILL impact detonation, timing and so on.
These run pretty high compression yet run 87 octane. So if anything at all goes wrong in the PCM programming, they will get detonation. My thinking is that these could be connected.
And if so, those experiencing "ping" need to get it addresses PRONTO as these are open deck engines and won't do well with that sort of thing going on.

Gijohn96

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Overland
Occupation
Refinery guy
@Gijohn96, @dgulia, @lewishouse, @speedracer0481,

We're sorry to hear that the TSB remedy did not alleviate your vehicle concerns. We would like to have this feedback forwarded internally. Please send us a PM with your VIN, name, and dealer so that we can have this documented. Thank you!

Darlene
Jeep Cares
You had your chance. Now I am going through the painful process of a buyback.

mortuar

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 3.0L EcoDiesel Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
I just dropped the Gladiator back off at the dealership. It's still got a super rough cold start after the PCM flash from August 28th, and now it's got that awesome unburnt fuel smell. I told them it's showing the P0300 again for multiple cylinder misfires, and is now also showing another pending P0300 and a pending P0304 signifying a misfire on cylinder 4. We'll see what happens, I guess.

@JeepCares I sent you my info via a DM as well. I asked them to do compression tests on the engine to get this over with, but they said they have to, "follow the playbook from Jeep" - if there is any way to try and not drag this out, that would be amazing. I live ~45 minutes away from the dealer with good traffic.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
and now it's got that awesome unburnt fuel smell. I told them it's showing the P0300 again for multiple cylinder misfires, and is now also showing another pending P0300 and a pending P0304 signifying a misfire on cylinder 4. We'll see what happens, I guess.
Wow, that's going to make things not better - raw fuel into the cylinder, unburned, the small of raw gas I assume at the tail pipe - not good for the CAT either.
Unless I'm mistaken, if you are actually smelling "unburnt fuel" as in the gasoline smell, or even that rich smell of an old car with the choke on too far, it's going to do nothing but more damage.
Sponsored