First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Willy
Occupation
SM
I'm curious.. I read way... wayyyyyyy to many posts about different tires, kinds, who recommends what. I came to the conclusion that my initial need has changed a bit. I am going to be driving in more sand and also more highway driving. I have decided at some point to change out my M/T's that came with the Glad to the FALKENWILDPEAK A/T3W or something like it. I read some posts that talked about MPG improvements going from M/T to A/T and also a lot more quit but, those post are a bit old now.

I am curious for those that have switched from an M/T tire to a A/T tire. Have you noticed results in how much more quit the ride is and have you "really" noticed any difference in your MPG's or any other differences that or worth noting?
Sponsored

AstroZombie

First Name
Arthur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon, '04 Tacoma PreRunner
Occupation
Tech Support
My falcons are cupping already. Like really bad and only at 20k miles. Dealer says they can't do anything about it. I had them on my TJ too. Once they got to the first wear bar in the tread they turned to slicks. The wet lugs are not even touching the pavement.
Jeep Gladiator Switching from M/T to A/T results 1676994422179

Jeep Gladiator Switching from M/T to A/T results 1676994434075

Bonanza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S Max Tow Punk'n
I went from Patagonia milestar M/Ts to Baja Boss ATs.

1. Traction in the sand went UP.
  2. Mileage went DOWN. (Not a mistake. It went down, and I suspect it's the heavier weight of the tire)
  3. Traction in the rocks is exactly the same.
  4. The annoying mountain bike-like shudder at 1-4 mph is gone. I truly began to find that unbearable.
  5. The noise on the highway reduced considerably, and I cannot stress how nice this is. The Milestars began to create a horrendous din as they wore down, and I HATED it.

The only caveat is in regards to mileage-- I am curious to see my MPG on summer gas blend. I found it surprising that I lost MPG. After my regear to 4.88s and these new 37s, I hover around 14.7 mpg consistently.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I'm curious.. I read way... wayyyyyyy to many posts about different tires, kinds, who recommends what. I came to the conclusion that my initial need has changed a bit. I am going to be driving in more sand and also more highway driving. I have decided at some point to change out my M/T's that came with the Glad to the FALKENWILDPEAK A/T3W or something like it. I read some posts that talked about MPG improvements going from M/T to A/T and also a lot more quit but, those post are a bit old now.

I am curious for those that have switched from an M/T tire to a A/T tire. Have you noticed results in how much more quit the ride is and have you "really" noticed any difference in your MPG's or any other differences that or worth noting?
It's a fact that the typical M/T is not as quiet as the typical A/T.
MPG will usually be lower (brands and tread design matter, as does WEIGHT of the tire, width and so on)

The more aggressive the tread, the more noise.
The more aggressive the tread, the lower the MPG.
The heavier the tire, the lower the MPG.
The wider the tire (all else being EQUAL) the lower the mpg.

My wife's Wrangler has KOs on it - I'm shocked at how quiet they are. The vehicle itself is a lot louder than her Grand Cherokees were - but the road noise is actually very low, it's quiet if you don't count the wind and roof noise. I think my Generals COULD be a tad louder than her KOs are.
I really like the looks of the tires on her Wrangler, too.

I've had the Falken A/T tires (they were Rubicon take-offs) and while they were ok, I feel the General and the KO tires we now have beat the Falkens in sound and winter ice and snow grip.

Batlou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
IT Constultant
I run the Falken AT3/W on both mine and my Wifes JL and they have been outstanding. I had been running BFG KM3's on her JL, they did well in the mud but got progressively louder over time. The Falken's are quiet and so far have performed great in some nasty eastern KY mud without getting stuck.

Sponsored

BlueScapegoat

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
91 ST185, 04 Ram SRT10, SC'd 05 Rubi, 22 JTRD
Occupation
Air Traffic Controller
Vehicle Showcase
It's a fact that the typical M/T is not as quiet as the typical A/T.
MPG will usually be lower (brands and tread design matter, as does WEIGHT of the tire, width and so on)

The more aggressive the tread, the more noise.
The more aggressive the tread, the lower the MPG.
The heavier the tire, the lower the MPG.
The wider the tire (all else being EQUAL) the lower the mpg.

My wife's Wrangler has KOs on it - I'm shocked at how quiet they are. The vehicle itself is a lot louder than her Grand Cherokees were - but the road noise is actually very low, it's quiet if you don't count the wind and roof noise. I think my Generals COULD be a tad louder than her KOs are.
I really like the looks of the tires on her Wrangler, too.

I've had the Falken A/T tires (they were Rubicon take-offs) and while they were ok, I feel the General and the KO tires we now have beat the Falkens in sound and winter ice and snow grip.
I've had KOs on several of my vehicles in the past. That's my first choice for a daily driver AT, and what I recommend to most people. Quiet, good in wet, decent on snow/ice, long wearing (assuming you take care of them like you should)

Poor in mud. But mud sucks anyway just avoid it lol

OP
OP
vital04

vital04

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Willy
Occupation
SM
Looking at the different posts and reading through many seems like the KO's are over rated and you can get more bang for your dollar with a Grabber A/T or Falcon. The earlier post of the falcon issue was the first I have heard of that and will need to do some more research into it. Also Read Venom's made a big comeback and are almost at the top of the list for A/t Tires to pick.

sharpsicle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2002 VTX1800
Looking at the different posts and reading through many seems like the KO's are over rated and you can get more bang for your dollar with a Grabber A/T or Falcon. The earlier post of the falcon issue was the first I have heard of that and will need to do some more research into it. Also Read Venom's made a big comeback and are almost at the top of the list for A/t Tires to pick.
Everything in this post here is very subjective. I know many people who rave about the KO's for their offroad ability and longevity. I myself run Wildpeaks and am happy with them, but that's all anecdotal. Just like everything else you've read about. Different strokes for different folks.

All tires, and I mean all, have their strengths and their trade-offs. It seems like you've figured those out already and settled on a decision based on that.

If you're still doubting your decision, you need to select what's right for you. Narrowing down where your focus is will help you choose a tire that works for you, even if it doesn't work for someone else. Specific pointed questions are key here. If your research has led you to the Wildpeaks, then I'd say go with them. If you have specific concerns with them, what are they?

This thread could talk you into or out of anything with enough anecdotal posts.

GOT FLOYD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 2021 Mojave gladiator
Toyo open country a/t is a great tire. Looks good, not as heavy as some and with 20k on mine they are wearing just fine. Their good in all conditions here in Michigan and look great!

legacy_etu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Mojave, 20 Supra, 16 Wrangler UNLTD,
I've run the BFG KO's many times and now run the General Grabber A/Tx . I prefer the Generals slightly. Both are good tires but the snow traction is better with the Generals IMO. All the other traits between these two I would rate as a tie.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Bjeepz

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mojave
I've run Toyo MT 2x, Dick Cepek MT, Cooper ST Maxx 2x and the Wildpeak AT3W 4x. My 1st set of AT3W's were crap, then found out there was a known bad run at the factory afterwards, next 2 sets lasted me longer than my rig and am running them again in 35's on my Mojave. I rotate every 10k front to back and have had great wear and run a lot of gravel with them. I wish they made a 36x11.5!

Figured I should add this, I also ran some cheap crappy Khumo's at one time and also some Goodyear Territories. The territories were better than my stock tires but terrible to any of the quality tires I listed above.

I even ran interco TSL Radials on a Tracker, thought they were great at 1st, then upgraded to the Interco SSR's. Night and day performance difference!

Last edited:

chad1433

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU
I worked in a Jeep rental shop for a couple of years and we ran Falken M/T and A/Ts as we had a sponsorship. My rig had BFG A/Ts...more on that later.

I went to Falken Academy in CA and ran a lot of miles on both types of tires. Both sets are quite quiet, but the A/Ts are better in a variety of road conditions, where the M/T excels off-road in a greater set of dirt conditions. That's just the compromise between the tires.

In Moab, we have a lot of seasonal mud and I often wish I had M/Ts on my rig, but this is my third set of A/Ts and I find them to do will in all dry conditions, both on and off-road, wet conditions on-road, like rain and snow are good, too - all except muddy trails. The shallow tread packs up quickly and can be dangerous depending on conditions. The BFG A/Ts were no different in this regard.

Wear on both types was good, but the A/Ts did last longer, even with heavy off-road use in the rental fleet. I've had such good experiences with my Falkens that I probably wont run anything different (unless I get some magical sponsorship!). Depending on your off-road frequency, you will like the A/Ts and not miss the M/Ts.

On BFG A/Ts - the soft compound wears fast! Every set I've seen used around here gets ground down pretty quickly. People love them, but I would never pay my own money for them. Just my .02

Tuggernuts

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500
Occupation
Truck driver
I have 35”(33.9” in reality) KO2s. Other than the size thing I love them. They are good everywhere except mud. They are quiet on the highway and awesome in the snow.

3D83D4E3-9331-44F2-A3EC-52A8CDF8D02E.jpeg

Chief_jeep

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Ecodiesel
Occupation
Real Estate Agent
I’ve run many different ATs over the years and the Mickey Thompson Baja Boss AT has by far been the best. I wish they made it in a 40.
Sponsored