Sponsored

Tazer JL Mini Brakes Locked Up Unintentionally Multiple Times

IamPro2A

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'95 YJ, '07 Ram, '16 JK, '21 Sport S Max Tow
Ya, nice assumption, but no.
I'm not Beta Testing, and I DO know what Beta testing is.
I did update since I was putting it in my new Diesel.
and I'm NOT bashing a damn thing, I am a Tazer fan.
But I am/have experienced a similar problem as the OP.
Sorry, I wasn't replying to you. If you go back and look, I was replying to the person who literally said:

" Not a glowing review of the Tazer Beta software. Yeesh."

And if these issues are happening in the most recent production release, hopefully everyone having them is contacting Z Automotive about it. The more info they have, hopefully the faster it can be addressed, because some of these problems can be dangerous.
Sponsored

mog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator Rubicon, '09 C4500 Kodiak
Occupation
Kodiak Buckaroo
OP
OP

BryantJT

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 TJ Rubicon, 2021 JT Rubicon
Occupation
Planner
Brake hold will not flash any warning lights and turns itself off automatically. In my case I was unable to move and there were multiple warning lights.

Ray Howrad

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S w/ Tow Package
Brake hold will not flash any warning lights and turns itself off automatically. In my case I was unable to move and there were multiple warning lights.
Are you certain? Mine flashes ABS and Brake continually until I press the gas, and it always unlocks. I sent a text to verify, but if feels like it's working as intended. The only thing is, I have the Tazer Lite and these upgrades and instructions manual are listed for the Tazer Mini. There's no manual for the Lite so maybe they work different. I'll update the thread when they answer.

OP
OP

BryantJT

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 TJ Rubicon, 2021 JT Rubicon
Occupation
Planner
I'm talking about the passive brake hold where you just mash the pedal at a stop. Mine basically got stuck in the rock crawl brake hold even though I didn't turn it on.

Sponsored

Ray Howrad

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm talking about the passive brake hold where you just mash the pedal at a stop. Mine basically got stuck in the rock crawl brake hold even though I didn't turn it on.
Mine flashes ABS and Brake in the passive brake hold. I wonder if that's normal. Sorry for the confusion.

hlan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubiconus Maximus
Another data point here, I just upgraded to 11.2.7 and now my ABS and brake flash until I step on the gas. I'm pretty sure I didn't enable the brake hold.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Beta releases are testing releases. The whole idea of a beta software release (any release, not just Tazer) is to get the software into a large and more diversified real world test setting. It's not uncommon for there to be a whole series of beta releases until all the bugs are found and addressed. That version then becomes a public release. Anyone running a beta test of anything, software, hardware, whatever, should expect possible, possibly serious issues. Your payment for that is you get to try out new features before the general public, and help guide the way the product works.

It's completely unfair to ding a product based on a beta release.

Now, if it's a production release, that's different. But even a new wide production release can often turn up some combination of hardware variations and user inputs that none of the beta testers tried that causes a problem. Fortunately it's a software issue. Revert back to the last known working release and wait for the issue to be addressed.
I've been involved in software beta testing for decades. At one point I got involved in alpha testing due to my record keeping and details provided.
I find it odd that people would use a beta like seems to be happening here. It's a beta. ONLY use it if you plan on testing it for the maker of the product. If you have critical driving to do and are worried about being stuck - then remove it from the system. Only use a beta product when you can afford to have malfunctions, even some serious ones. Document everything you do, all conditions at the time of the malfunction - that's how you beta test. You let the engineer know the exact conditions, the versions of firmware in your vehicle, if you've had an ABS or PCM update (for example, like some of us have had to resolve the brake controller issues) or if you are running original ABS code in your JT - example, you don't have a trailer brake controller so don't need any ABS flash. The engineer needs to know build dates, versions and revisions of things to do with your truck, etc.. because what's in MY JT will be different from what's in YOUR JT.
No one should be running beta anything unless they plan on actually testing for the engineer making the product. And if you do - expect trouble. Beta is TEST phase, they are saying "test this and let us know of problems" and they need enough info to recreate the issues or at least find commonality - why does Joe have troubles with his and Sam doesn't.........

Don't use beta stuff on mission critical equipment.
But like said - even release versions COULD have issues because of all of the possible combinations of equipment, flashes and updates to our trucks, equipment combinations, build dates - like why did someone with a truck made in February 2020 not have an issue while someone with the exact same equipment listing have issues with their truck made in December 2019? The software running in their ABS....... it was changed.
You need to let the product engineer know the details.
(I kept a spreadsheet here of build dates and equipment combinations when trying to run down the brake controller/ABS issues and found the build date connection)

hlan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubiconus Maximus
I don't think that 11.2.7 is a beta release.

Ray Howrad

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Another data point here, I just upgraded to 11.2.7 and now my ABS and brake flash until I step on the gas. I'm pretty sure I didn't enable the brake hold.
If you have Tazer Lite the programmer didn’t disable it and they told me to downgrade to the previous update, but I like the features so I’m keeping it. It allows me to also use homelink after the engine’s off, turns off license plate lights in reverse to reduce cam glare and a few other things.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
It allows me to also use homelink after the engine’s off......
That right there is a great feature. I KNOW why Jeep did what they did (prevents a person with less than noble intent from getting access to the door buttons with the roof off and the Jeep parked, etc.) but there are times........

pstallin

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JL
Occupation
engineering manager
I don't think that 11.2.7 is a beta release.
It is not a BETA release. There are no BETA versions available right now for Tazer JL. 11.2.7 is the latest full release version available on the website.

Tazer JL SW versions.JPG

pstallin

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JL
Occupation
engineering manager
I just upgraded over the weekend as well and am having the same issue.

Mine flashes ABS and Brake in the passive brake hold. I wonder if that's normal. Sorry for the confusion.
I contacted Tazer over the weekend and heard back from them on Monday. This is not normal expected performance. Their exact words were "It shouldn't do that". They advised me to unmarry the Tazer, doa full reboot, followed by 2 sleep cycles, then use the manual option and install version 11.2.5

Going to try that this weekend.

tampahoosier

First Name
Heath
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Diesel Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Cybersecurity - Cyber Intelligence
Vehicle Showcase
I upgraded to the newest 11.2.7 release yesterday as well and this afternoon I’m now seeing a similar scenario. FYI I do not have this new brake hold feature turned on. After being stopped at a light (maybe 10 seconds-ish?) I got a very quick flash of a screen message that says “Service Antilock Braking System”. Then the brake and ABS lights blinking, and will continue to until I release the brake and hit the gas.

A5F8A4FB-78BF-4819-9999-AB64AEEDF9FB.png