Tazer mini question

jludave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sport Altitude
For all those that question whether to simply remove or unmarry the Tazer before taking the vehicle in for dealer service, this is directly from the Tazer instruction manual:

-The Tazer JL Mini should be Unmarried and removed before dealer service.

Oneshotlucky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys Gladiator
Occupation
Ops Manager
For all those that question whether to simply remove or unmarry the Tazer before taking the vehicle in for dealer service, this is directly from the Tazer instruction manual:

-The Tazer JL Mini should be Unmarried and removed before dealer service.
Got my first oil change coming up would you be able to tell me the process for unmarried the Tazer?

jeepin48

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Overland 3.0L
Occupation
Engineer
Got my first oil change coming up would you be able to tell me the process for unmarried the Tazer?
Download the manual for real instruction.

Its pretty simple to scroll through the menu then just hit "unmarry" and wait for it to go through the countdown.

Sponsored

abe57

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave
Occupation
retired
Vehicle Showcase
I just do not see the point of going though all that trouble to unmarry the thing and have to go back in and reset everything that you had programed ! If for just a oil change and tire rotation I really do not think it's going to matter . JMO2

Sarge502

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Thin Blue Line
Vehicle Showcase
No. You want to UNMARRY before taking it into the dealer.

If the dealer should happen to flash/update the vehicle for any reason, and you unmarry the Tazer after, you lose whatever the dealer just updated as the Tazer restores the previous configuration it saved.

Always unmarry before heading to the dealer.

Also, after unmarrying and re-marrying you will have to go back and make your setting changes. The unmarry restores the vehicle back to it's stock pre-Tazer settings.
I find this contridictory. There was a thread awhile back of people arguing about this for 7+ pages and still no definite answer.

yes I have heard to unmarry before a dealership visit. And I get it. From a liability standpoint Tazer is of course going to say you should do that.

However, hereā€™s my concern or issue. Letā€™s say youā€™ve done a major change to your vehicle like a regear for example. And you set your tazer accordingly to the upgraded gear ratio. Then letā€™s say you have a schedule dealer visit sometime after. Go ahead and unmarry your tazer and try and drive it to the dealer and let me know how that works out. That would really mess things up with different gears but your truck thinking itā€™s back to itā€™s original state. Or even if the dealer needed to drive it to test something out after youā€™ve done that.

I donā€™t think people really consider this before the spout off info. Just saying.

Sarge502

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Thin Blue Line
Vehicle Showcase
If you unmarry it with different gears, your going to possibly ruin them, at minimum your vehicle will light up like a tree and go into limp mode. There really is zero resason to unmarry unless you sell the vehicle and want to keep the tazer.
didnā€™t see this til after my post, but basically exactly what Iā€™ve said since the beginning.

ryanlsmith

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
didnā€™t see this til after my post, but basically exactly what Iā€™ve said since the beginning.
That's interesting because, and this is purely anecdotal, the shop that did my gears either didn't properly save/reboot the Tazer or didn't change the gear ratio at all and I didn't realize until I got home. It did seem to run through the gears insanely fast (like 8th by 40mph), but no codes/drivability issues beyond that.

Obviously not recommending this, but I'm surprised to hear how severe it should have been.

Sarge502

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Thin Blue Line
Vehicle Showcase
That's interesting because, and this is purely anecdotal, the shop that did my gears either didn't properly save/reboot the Tazer or didn't change the gear ratio at all and I didn't realize until I got home. It did seem to run through the gears insanely fast (like 8th by 40mph), but no codes/drivability issues beyond that.

Obviously not recommending this, but I'm surprised to hear how severe it should have been.
Yeah. Not sure exactly in your case since your gears had just been done right before. But when regearing there is a break in period afterwards. But regardless thatā€™s probably why it wasnā€™t running as should been right afterwards.

Sponsored

FLUndertaker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport, 1986 Jeep CJ7
I find this contridictory. There was a thread awhile back of people arguing about this for 7+ pages and still no definite answer.

yes I have heard to unmarry before a dealership visit. And I get it. From a liability standpoint Tazer is of course going to say you should do that.

However, hereā€™s my concern or issue. Letā€™s say youā€™ve done a major change to your vehicle like a regear for example. And you set your tazer accordingly to the upgraded gear ratio. Then letā€™s say you have a schedule dealer visit sometime after. Go ahead and unmarry your tazer and try and drive it to the dealer and let me know how that works out. That would really mess things up with different gears but your truck thinking itā€™s back to itā€™s original state. Or even if the dealer needed to drive it to test something out after youā€™ve done that.

I donā€™t think people really consider this before the spout off info. Just saying.
great points. With 37ā€™s and 5.13 gears the dealership is going to know something is up regardless. At some point itā€™s time to accept responsibility and stop trying to hide (lie)the fact that youā€™ve modified your vehicle.

exfil offroad

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator-Willys /18 Wrangler JLU-Rubicon

See prior posts on this threadā€¦ exactly the point. Itā€™s liability standpoint not a good idea if you changed gears. šŸ¤£

exfil offroad

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator-Willys /18 Wrangler JLU-Rubicon

Iā€™d say count the luck. And hopefully nothing shaved off in there, your diff fluid change may indicate otherwise. Hopefully thatā€™s not the case

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
Isn't the gear setting like the tire size, a change that stays in the truck computer? Or does unmarrying the Tazer undo all the changes that were made with it?
Wouldn't this be a reason to use AlfaOBD or Jscan to make such changes?

MJRSC

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JT Mojave
Occupation
Lawyer
I know this is a hot issue, and I am new but a thought:

Why not pull it, not unmarry. Save the potential tire size and gear issues.

Go to service.

Return home, pull in your driveway. Unmarry and remarry it so itā€™s now downloading the newest flash from the dealer assuming they did some flash or update at service which is the central concern here, I.e. that if you donā€™t unmarry, youā€™ll load an old version of the ECU flash.

Would this work or same problem?
Sponsored