ALVagabond

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR "Praetorian"
How do you like it?
Like i said above, I've had no problems. I've used it for tire size and some other settings. I didn't want something that I had to leave plugged in and don't care about the Tazer's live functions, so JSCAN seemed like the obvious choice for me.

IamPro2A

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'95 YJ, '07 Ram, '16 JK, '21 Sport S Max Tow
Jscan License is $20 per vehicle
The Bluetooth OBD2 start at $32 on Amazon
12+8 bypass cable is $18 on Amazon
Total is $70 vs the $329 Tazer mini so $259 difference not sure where you got your numbers from.
If I remember right, the developer of Jscan is not in the US, and the license fee fluctuates based on the value of the US dollar vs their local currency. I may have also been pricing a multi vehicle license, since we have multiple vehicles it would work on.
As far as the adapter price,as I stated above, according to Jscan's website, there are only two OBD2 adapters THEY recommend for the JT Gladiator. The cheaper of those 2 is currently about $60.

Jeep Gladiator TAZER MINI vs JSCAN 1659275128392

You can buy an OBD2 adapter for $10 on Amazon, and it will read codes just fine (I know, I already had one of those), but it won't work with Jscan. So I bought one they recommended. I bought the better one ($140), because that was the only one also recommended by AlfaOBD, which does a lot more than Jscan. I think I paid $22 for the recommended bypass cable at the time. I ended up going with AlfaOBD over Jscan ($50 but it does more and has unlimited vins) but even at $24 for a single license, I'd be in for over $185 for Jscan vs the $300 I paid for my Tazer.

I'm not knocking any of the options. I think most of us, especially the repeat owners, buy Jeeps because of the wide range of options to customize and personalize. What is best for one person might not be best for the other. But going back to the original post, there are a ton of things the tazer option can that Jscan can't. There are things both can do, but tazer can do simpler. It's up to each person what that's worth to them.

samd1351

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Mustang GT PP, 21 Gladiator?
Occupation
PLS
Which one is easier to use? I don't want to have to jump through a bunch of hoops, or wire a bunch of things. I just want to change my tire size, and maybe, my lights from halogen to led, and that's about it. So which one is easier to use?

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
Which one is easier to use? I don't want to have to jump through a bunch of hoops, or wire a bunch of things. I just want to change my tire size, and maybe, my lights from halogen to led, and that's about it. So which one is easier to use?
I'd use jscan for that stuff. For the changes you want to make, a tazer is way overkill, more complicated, and more expensive. I have both. Tazer is awesome for the live features. For changes, use jscan. It's easier, and it's permanent, without the marrying/unmarrying thing.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Like Chad said - for less money, for sheer simplicity, for simple changes, jscan works and it's got diagnostic capabilities if you should ever need that in the future.
The two things you mentioned, piece of cake - set 'em and move on. No need to leave anything in place.

DesertRated

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Mojave
Can the Jscan enable the cargo camera when installing the Zautomotive front camera?

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Can the Jscan enable the cargo camera when installing the Zautomotive front camera?
Should be able to - it can access settings to enable or disable ....

IamPro2A

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JScan would be easier and cheaper for just that.
Or AlfaOBD; $20 more and slightly harder to use, but not locked to a VIN. So once you own it, you could make changes like you mentioned for anyone else with a late model FCA vehicle. I try to pay it forward and have a standing offer to do that for other local Jeepers.

Teqsand

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURD & 22 JTRD
Occupation
Bum
I did all the cheep options with Jscan (with the exception of the stupid expensive extention cable).. Jscan did disable my start stop, and the diagnostic function showed there was a problem that jeep dealer couldn't find that led to a buyback.....

BTW, how do you upgrade a tazer? Jscan upgrades are a download

Sponsored

XraytecH

First Name
Bernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport
Occupation
Xraytech
Vehicle Showcase
I'm running a TAZER simply because that's what most folks were recommending. Still using it today. The only time I used the Jscan app was to activate my Proximity Locks.

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They are both easy to use. JScan will be MUCH MUCH less money and will actually work better for you. So its the easy choice. Let me explain why.

I have a Tazer and love it. But I appreciate a whole bunch of live functions.

I'm currently using it to set the tires from 33 to 35. When I go into the dealer, I have to unmarry the Tazer and that resets the wheel size to stock. Then when I get it back from the dealer I have to go back in and reset wheel size.

I don't really mind because I'm basically resetting a bunch of live settings also and I've got a checklist that I go through so it takes me literally 90 seconds.

But if you just want to change tire size and light type with JScan, you do it once, unplug the unit and never think about it again. Its essentially permanent.

I'm speculating, but if the dealer ever updates any firmware, it may revert back, but then you just switch it and you are done. But then again, this may not even be the case.

For me live functions are what sold the Tazer. Off the top of my head, the ones that bring me the most value are:

1) multi blink rear center light
2) passenger side seat heater on remote start
3) easy access to locker
4) Garage door opener after ignition off
5) enable hood alarm
6) Backup cam while moving forwards
7) shuts off license plate lights when backing at night so the view through the camera isn't washed out
8)Turn on bed lights and reverse lights with key fob.

If none of this matters to you Jscan is an easy choice.

JScan is cheap enough that I'm actually thinking of trying to find someone with the setup, then I'll buy a license and use their Jscan to change my tire size. Then I wan't have to ever screw with it again.

IamPro2A

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BTW, if you want to use the Tazer + Jscan or AlfaOBD, make the software changes before you marry the Tazer. When you unmarry it, it just reverts back to whatever settings where there before it was married.

IamPro2A

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JScan is cheap enough that I'm actually thinking of trying to find someone with the setup, then I'll buy a license and use their Jscan to change my tire size. Then I wan't have to ever screw with it again.
Or just find someone with the AlphaOBD setup, and then you don't even need to buy a Jscan license, since AlfaOBD is unlimited VINs.
Sponsored