First Name
Pascual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20022 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Manager
Got to go to the dealer for a re flash and don't want to loose all the settings I have done with the taser mini. This thing seems to have only one way to do it. Loose everything. It's a real PITA to get any info from Z.
If I un marry it all the original factory settings will return and I will have wrong diff and tire size. Will that limp mode me?? I have a few miles to drive to the dealer.
Is it safe to just un marry it and leave it installed?? The plugs are a pain. The steering wheel button setting is just not fun. If I have to remove it and completely re do I might look for a different option.
Sponsored

PuddleJumper

First Name
Cortlund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23' JTM, 22' JTR, 22' F56S,
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Lockheed Martin ASW Test Technician
Vehicle Showcase
Got to go to the dealer for a re flash and don't want to loose all the settings I have done with the taser mini. This thing seems to have only one way to do it. Loose everything. It's a real PITA to get any info from Z.
If I un marry it all the original factory settings will return and I will have wrong diff and tire size. Will that limp mode me?? I have a few miles to drive to the dealer.
Is it safe to just un marry it and leave it installed?? The plugs are a pain. The steering wheel button setting is just not fun. If I have to remove it and completely re do I might look for a different option.
no unmarry will only turn off live settings. anything you set in performance, like tpms off/on, gearing, tire size, t-case ratio, psi setting, light config, etc. That all stays to whatever you set it at. baring the dealer doesn't reset it to stock themselves, which they can do and i would talk to them about it.

TRMFAM

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 392 Rubicon, 23 Gladiator 3.0, 23 RAM 2500
I may have read your reply incorrectly...my understanding is that when you unmarry your vehicle returns to the settings it had when you first plugged in the tazer. For example, if your Jeep is stock and you add the tazer, it copies the configuration it first saw when plugging in and when you unmarry it reloads that original stock configuration.

You can unplug the tazer and keep all the non-live settings you programmed...tire size, gears, etc. But the dealer can scan the modules and see the changes you made.

I leave my tazer plugged in and explained it is not a programmer but for tire / gears and they told me yea, we know...so no issues but ymmv.

I can not tell you if it will go into limp mode...but one sure way to find out! I assume you can test it and carry the tazer with you and if it does pull over reinstall and clear the codes. I agree the steering button interface is less than ideal and I am surprised there is not a bluetooth / phone app alternative by now? I keep thinking about trying the HP Tuners version and using a laptop...

Jeep Gladiator Tazer questions 1713389366480-fu

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator High Altitude - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
Get Jscan to make all your changes, then marry the Tazer to the truck. That way, when you unmarry it for service visits, you don't lose all your changes. If you don't use any of the Tazer Live features, Jscan is probably a better option for you.

There is an extension cable set available that plugs into the Security Gateway. It effectively moves the connectors below the edge of the dash, making access much easier. You can find it on Amazon for $30, or buy it direct from ZAutomotive.

OP
OP

JTGuy

First Name
Pascual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20022 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Manager
So when I un marry the taser for the dealer visit the computer will be set back to 33 inch tires and 4.10 diff gears?? Not even close to my 37s and 4,88s. Will that cause a problem?

Sponsored

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
So when I un marry the taser for the dealer visit the computer will be set back to 33 inch tires and 4.10 diff gears?? Not even close to my 37s and 4,88s. Will that cause a problem?
The speedometer, MPG, and shift points will all be off, but it shouldn't cause any damage. ZAutomotive recommends that it be unmarried for service visits. Many get by with just removing it. There should not be any issues, unless they do a computer flash. You can always do the unmarry in the parking lot before driving it up to the service area.

JTPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JT Rubicon
Occupation
Proto Shop Technician
It should not cause a problem to unmarry it just will not display the correct speed and the trans may not shift correctly, no harm. I do believe if you remove the tazer you need to plug the connectors back into the security gateway.

fourfa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTRD + ACCC
Build Thread
Link
I got JScan in addition to the Tazer, primarily to run the ABS pump during brake fluid changes.

But man is it convenient to permanently set the tire size with JScan so you don't have to face this problem, and have to constantly fight with the crummy programming interface on Tazer for routine stuff like this.

OP
OP

JTGuy

First Name
Pascual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20022 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Manager
The dealer will be doing a re flash. If the dealer does a flash for a smog recall with the Tazer un married but installed will it do damage ? I just want to thank Z Automotive for their great customer service and information,,, LOL

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The dealer will be doing a re flash. If the dealer does a flash for a smog recall with the Tazer un married but installed will it do damage ? I just want to thank Z Automotive for their great customer service and information,,, LOL
You need to unmarry it, remove it, and reconnect the cables to the Security Gateway. This is what the extension cable set is for. It moves the Security Gateway connectors below the edge of the dash so they are easy to reach. You cannot leave the Tazer connected, it interferes with the dealer equipment used for service. ZAutomotive recommends that the Tazer be unmarried and removed whenever it goes in for service, even if it is just an oil change.

Sponsored

G0merP

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 JTRD, 24 Wagoneer
Occupation
Air Force Firefighter
Oops, I got an oil change today and just left the tazer installed. I had no issues. Maybe next time I’ll unmarry.

ALT2870

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Freedom
Same, done a couple weeks ago and heard nothing from the dealer as I waited. Your mileage will vary probably though depending on the dealer and also what they are doing. Any computer stuff and I'd probably unplug it.

OP
OP

JTGuy

First Name
Pascual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20022 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Manager
My dealer has done a few free oil changes for me without touching the OBD port and I have no issues . I tape it up .
Perhaps a band aid plan would be.....
Un marry the Tazer and allow it to reset everything to factory settings.
Then use another system or Tazer to set everything to your new settings like gears and tires then go in and re marry the Tazer so it will think the new settings are the factory ones and remember them. Then when you un marry it the gears and setting s stay at the new values. The question becomes what will the dealer flash change . Is there a possible limp mode? I have yet to find anyone that really knows what can or will happen.

jeremy342

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
since there are 2 ways to tazer, i wonder if setting the (non live settings) the non live setting way, and then changing any of the live settings the live way will fix it.

i have only ever made the changes the live settings way, so when i unmarry i lose everything. havent tried doing split. i will next time i need to take it in for an oil change.

that would be nice, instead of having to go in and change LED settings

OP
OP

JTGuy

First Name
Pascual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20022 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Manager
It would be great if someone from Z Automotive would help us with these questions. Not even the people that sell them have a phone number for help. I would not buy this thing again if I knew the support was so bad.
Sponsored