Sponsored

Terra Acoustics Front Soundstage (Speaker upgrade)

ttn333

First Name
Tuan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
So, I've been into home theater for 20+ years so believe me, I went into this knowing no car stereo can actually sound good, and ALSO tempered with the fact that I knew their claims of an actual "soundstage" in an environment as terrible as a car interior was BS (although my Audi S5's Bang & Olufsen system was genuinely amazing and to this day makes me want to spend the rest of my life tracing VAG electronics with a multimeter just to get that stereo back). But, I figured for $250 and a quick bolt in it's not a big loss. I'm also NOT a basshead and I like clean, clear, crisp highs, so I figured the separate tweeter HAD to be better. And, while obviously not that wonderful B&O system, I do think the Alpine system is pretty darn good.

The difference was not striking. I don't suspect a QC issue, it wasn't THAT bad. But, oddly, the stock Alpine speakers actually delivered cleaner highs than the Terra separates. I was really surprised at that. If I had to put it into words, I would say the Terra highs sounded more like slapping a sheet of tinfoil with a spoon. Not overwhelmingly, but there is just this...jangle that the stock speakers don't have.

It was actually subtle enough that I swapped back and forth a few times, and since Terra refused to take them back, I figured WTF, I paid for them, I'll just leave them in and try to forget about it.

Bottom line, Alpine is better than the Terra, not so much better that it's a huge issue but I definitely wish I hadn't spent that $250. They are NOT an upgrade. Do NOT spend the money.

And DON'T listen to what Terra says about a break-in period, like I did. If you decide to spend the money anyway, and you come to the same realization that I did, take them out and ask for a refund right away. Don't leave them in there for a "break-in" period.
It's funny how differently we all hear and appreciate audio. I suspect a lot of us who upgrade our car stereo have a history with audio. I had low expectations with the TA but was pleasantly surprised by the very apparent improvement in the sound. Also surprisingly for me, it was the midrange and upper midrange that stood out to me. I'm not comparing this to my home theater system. That wouldn't come close. But just the difference between TA and stock Alpine. Just like in my previously life, some people just don't like the sound of a speaker while others do. Maybe try rolling some other speakers into the dash and see if you like them better. I'm sure you can sell these pretty quickly.
Sponsored

ttn333

First Name
Tuan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none

Curt Oz

First Name
Curt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Retired

Dougstdig

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JTRD - '08 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4
I've been on their waiting list for I can tell you how long. Occasionally, I'll receive a teazer update email, but nothing. HORRIBLE way of doing business. No warm and fuzzies on if there's an issue that they'll stand behind them or have the ability to stand behind them.

JL Audio is becoming much more attractive...and they're made in USA.

Sponsored

Burghardphotography

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '65 MBZ 220s, '66 Riviera GS, '72 F-250
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Finding the will to live
I've been on their waiting list for I can tell you how long. Occasionally, I'll receive a teazer update email, but nothing. HORRIBLE way of doing business. No warm and fuzzies on if there's an issue that they'll stand behind them or have the ability to stand behind them.

JL Audio is becoming much more attractive...and they're made in USA.
i just so happen to know a guy who has a set he dislikes and can’t return, y’all should talk!

AKDrifter

First Name
Judah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
I don't have the Alpine stereo in mine and just the 7" radio. I found these a huge improvement over the base speakers. I got on the waitlist in September, got my link to purchase right after Thanksgiving and received them before Christmas. I have no regrets on buying them. It does suck it takes months to be able to buy them though. If anyone really didn't like theirs they'd be able to sell them quickly for sure.

JTGuy

First Name
Pascual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20022 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Manager
Well my TA speakers are on the way. Looks like a bunch of mixed reviews here. If they are better I'll post it and if not I will return them.

FreedomWV

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator Freedom Edition High Velocity
Occupation
Business
Well my TA speakers are on the way. Looks like a bunch of mixed reviews here. If they are better I'll post it and if not I will return them.
I have them and they were a nice upgrade.

Sponsored

Average Oregonian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR

Trauma PA

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Willys, 2021 Audi Q3
Occupation
Trauma Surgery Physician Assistant
How were the TA speakers? Were you impressed enough to keep them?

TheSolarWizard

First Name
Memphis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3.0 JT
Occupation
Solar & EV infrastructure
Anyone have this and the rockhard4x4 front cage? Wondering how that bar will impact sound

JTGuy

First Name
Pascual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20022 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Manager
I am keeping the Terra front speakers but I am not impressed with them.

Great Offender

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S - MT