Tesla Cybertruck anyone?

GalacticWarthog

First Name
Galactic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
I'm pleasantly surprised by this thread, as a veteran of Jeep forums on the internet (and on USENET) since the 90's there is typically little tolerance for anything new from the hardcore Jeep crowd. How things have changed. This is great IMHO. Didn't even see that much bitching about the lack of solid axles!

But heck, just to add my opinion in, as a former owner of two Teslas (Model S in 2013 and Model X in 2016), I have to say the Teslas are getting uglier and uglier. The Model X I sold earlier this year was by far the worst vehicle I ever had the misfortune of owning. I had even signed up for the 3 but after my experience with terrible quality in both the S and the X, and the constantly deteriorating customer service, I canceled and got my deposit back. This Cybertruck is the fugliest Tesla yet.

That said, my first few months of ownership of my Model S in 2013 (which was at that time the top of the line P85+) was by far my most enjoyable new car ever, that was before it started to have all kinds of issues. My current Gladiator Rubicon is actually my second most enjoyable new vehicle of all time, so that is saying something. So I certainly applaud those who are willing to take the risk on this most laughable, absurd and grotesque snakeoil offering from Elon, but I am going to settle on a different electric truck in the future. As I did with electric SUVs: I currently own a fabulously reliable and luxurious (albeit boring) Audi e-tron, and have signed on for the Porsche Taycan. My days of throwing money away in Elon's direction are long gone. But I love the polarizing nature of it, and it can only lead to better electric truck offerings from real manufacturers.
Sponsored

Fcmalie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2021 Mojave
Build Thread
Link

Towing and offroad range are the obstacles that Tesla, Rivian, and Bolinger are going to have to struggle with. TFLTrucks tested a model X with a couple different trailers and it cut the range by almost 2/3s.

Toycrusher2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
There is no solution on the horizon for this problem. You can triple the battery size to regain the original range... but then the recharge time is 3x as long

Sponsored

Lou3.6

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep 2016 WK2 75th Anniversary edition
Occupation
retired Navy -- 1984 > 2004
I skimmed through page one . . . skipped to page 10 and decided to throw my 2Cents in the pot . Not me either !
Well, IF I were a resident on Mars or the Moon - this one (of 3 so far) would make a nice "Rover" ! BUT, not on EARTH; not till we have sufficient Public Access to Charging - Including those of us who do not own homes (apartment dwellers, with & without garages). The Tow Factors are also a Conundrum . . . soon as you add more range, your adding more weight (more batteries) so your right back to "Square One," range issues & tow capacity ! I LIKE where these Companies Visionaries are headed - trying to do their part in Saving what's left of OUR Breathable Environment - THANK YOU - but my worst fear is that it is "to little to late" ?! The Other Elephant in the room NO ONE wants to Acknowledge is the WASTE DISPOSAL / Recycle PROBLEMS and the associated TOXIC Dranage into the underground WATER ! ! Sure would be FANTASTIC if the only Waste byproduct going into that were WATER ! ! Hint hint . . . Hydrogen Fuel Cell Tech. ! So,
What Ever Happened to The HYDROGEN FUEL CELL technology - you know with the only by product being WATER out the tailpipe ? ? Are the Japanese the only ones doing anything in that regard these days ? We're gonna regret the day we retired the 1 horse power HORSE or the 2 or 4 or more HORSE "powered" WAGONS on "Back Then" ! Don't fret, gonna go Full Circle on this IF we've got any plans on Surviving our Worst Discretions ! ? But by then WE will all be dead, so . . . what ? Who Cares ? Hope we're not ALL that Flippant, after all, it's OUR Children's Futures at stake ! so, Happy Thanks, enjoy your Turkey & Ham . . . Free Range Organic or Hormone injected Variant ? Ah, we've come so far . . . . . . . ? :headbang:

TrailHiker

First Name
Denny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator JT Sport S, Black 1946 CJ 2A
These issues will eventually be solved. The gas buggy was at the same point when Ford introduced his first horseless carriage, the Model T, lousy range, scarce availability of fuel, and it would never replace the horse drawn wagon...
Cheers

jurfie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Granite Crystal Metallic JKR; 2016 Daytona Grey Audi A5 Competition Package
I currently own a fabulously reliable and luxurious (albeit boring) Audi e-tron...
If I was going to buy all-electric, it would be an e-tron (maybe even the Sportback, cargo-capacity be damned!) or better yet, the e-tron GT when it comes out.

Either of those would complement a new JT nicely. :rock:

%2Fc4%2Fe4%2F73d9cfdc41afa07bdf878407df64%2F2020-audi-e-tron-sportback-european-model-shown-6371.jpg

2019-audi-e-tron-gt-concept.jpg

WakesurfVT

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, 2014 Centurion Enzo SV233
Occupation
Director of Inside Sales
Wow...Tesla isn’t trolling us. Here’s an actual Cybertruck being tested, looks to be Cali!

jurfie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Granite Crystal Metallic JKR; 2016 Daytona Grey Audi A5 Competition Package

Sponsored

giskard

First Name
Cameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 BMW i3s
I skimmed through page one . . . skipped to page 10 and decided to throw my 2Cents in the pot . Not me either !
Well, IF I were a resident on Mars or the Moon - this one (of 3 so far) would make a nice "Rover" ! BUT, not on EARTH; not till we have sufficient Public Access to Charging - Including those of us who do not own homes (apartment dwellers, with & without garages). The Tow Factors are also a Conundrum . . . soon as you add more range, your adding more weight (more batteries) so your right back to "Square One," range issues & tow capacity ! I LIKE where these Companies Visionaries are headed - trying to do their part in Saving what's left of OUR Breathable Environment - THANK YOU - but my worst fear is that it is "to little to late" ?! The Other Elephant in the room NO ONE wants to Acknowledge is the WASTE DISPOSAL / Recycle PROBLEMS and the associated TOXIC Dranage into the underground WATER ! ! Sure would be FANTASTIC if the only Waste byproduct going into that were WATER ! ! Hint hint . . . Hydrogen Fuel Cell Tech. ! So,
What Ever Happened to The HYDROGEN FUEL CELL technology - you know with the only by product being WATER out the tailpipe ? ? Are the Japanese the only ones doing anything in that regard these days ? We're gonna regret the day we retired the 1 horse power HORSE or the 2 or 4 or more HORSE "powered" WAGONS on "Back Then" ! Don't fret, gonna go Full Circle on this IF we've got any plans on Surviving our Worst Discretions ! ? But by then WE will all be dead, so . . . what ? Who Cares ? Hope we're not ALL that Flippant, after all, it's OUR Children's Futures at stake ! so, Happy Thanks, enjoy your Turkey & Ham . . . Free Range Organic or Hormone injected Variant ? Ah, we've come so far . . . . . . . ? :headbang:
Fuel cells have a whole host of challenges of their own. It takes a ton of energy to produce, store, and transfer hydrogen. That’s fine if you have an abundance of clean energy, but you will get far more miles out of that energy in a battery electric. Not to mention there is virtually no infrastructure out there for it and they are still very expensive to produce. Hydrogen fuel cells have their place, but I don’t see them overtaking batteries any time soon.

Also, it’s not accurate that no one is talking about what happens to EV batteries beyond their usefulness in a car. Several automakers have talked about using them for stationary grid storage or recycling them to recover materials (particularly the cobalt which is the hardest to come by responsibly). The idea that Tesla and other automakers have no plan here and expect them to be chucked into landfills is kind of ridiculous.

giskard

First Name
Cameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 BMW i3s
That thing is huge.
It’s almost identical length, width, and height to a crew cab F150. I would like to see them come out with a mid size version, that’s for sure.

jurfie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It’s almost identical length, width, and height to a crew cab F150. I would like to see them come out with a mid size version, that’s for sure.
Looks a couple feet longer to me. Not arguing; I suppose the shape makes it look bigger as well.

Tesla-Cybertruck-vs-Ford-F150-1.jpg

Lou3.6

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep 2016 WK2 75th Anniversary edition
Occupation
retired Navy -- 1984 > 2004
Fuel cells have a whole host of challenges of their own. It takes a ton of energy to produce, store, and transfer hydrogen. That’s fine if you have an abundance of clean energy, but you will get far more miles out of that energy in a battery electric. Not to mention there is virtually no infrastructure out there for it and they are still very expensive to produce. Hydrogen fuel cells have their place, but I don’t see them overtaking batteries any time soon.

Also, it’s not accurate that no one is talking about what happens to EV batteries beyond their usefulness in a car. Several automakers have talked about using them for stationary grid storage or recycling them to recover materials (particularly the cobalt which is the hardest to come by responsibly). The idea that Tesla and other automakers have no plan here and expect them to be chucked into landfills is kind of ridiculous.
Your absolutely correct . . . I was half heartedly "chocking the chicken" when I mentioned "NO ONE" - no one as in "we the people" who buy these products, not the Mega conglomerates who produce them . The talk has not been going on all that long . . . so I read . . . and up till when Legislation is passed &/or implemented to get them to "do the right thing" the wrong things tend to take place . . . just ask the Frackers or the oil companies or the mining operations or . . . the list is shamefully near endless ! Actually asking them would get you no where . Human nature . . . ugh ! See, you got me ranting . . . but it's what I do best when I'm > :ontheloo: ;)
Sponsored