Tesla Cybertruck anyone?

DaveNH

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Sonata
Elon has said that the styling is a function of the stainless, which is hard to bend. And it's allegedly the same stainless that they'll use on the SpaceX Starship.

It almost seems as if he got a great deal on the stainless, but more than SpaceX could ever use, and created an excuse to use it on the truck. Play it off like it was intentional, knowing the automotive press and fans would buy in no matter what it looked like.

Or I'm just cynical.
Sponsored

giskard

First Name
Cameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 BMW i3s
I think it's more of a form following function thing. Jack Rickard has a YouTube video talking about this (beware it is long and rambling). I think the Cybertruck was designed the way it is to reduce production complexity and cost. The body/frame/exoskeleton is essentially flat sheets of steel that are scored, bent, and welded. Almost like a really big origami figure. No expensive stamping machines required. It also doesn't require paint, so goodbye expensive and not-very-environment-friendly paint booth. This is likely how they've kept the price target relatively low while keeping the specs and feature content competitive. And it is quite tough, too. A lot of people have mocked the reveal for the armor glass demo failure, but they did also hit the door with a sledgehammer twice with no visible damage.

Lou3.6

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep 2016 WK2 75th Anniversary edition
Occupation
retired Navy -- 1984 > 2004
Elon has said that the styling is a function of the stainless, which is hard to bend. And it's allegedly the same stainless that they'll use on the SpaceX Starship.

It almost seems as if he got a great deal on the stainless, but more than SpaceX could ever use, and created an excuse to use it on the truck. Play it off like it was intentional, knowing the automotive press and fans would buy in no matter what it looked like.

Or I'm just cynical.
Overactive Imagination Dave ? You a Scientist or "Math Cruncher" . . . :LOL: ? Kidding of course .

WakesurfVT

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, 2014 Centurion Enzo SV233
Occupation
Director of Inside Sales
This is important. This means something!

3CD5AD9F-4D72-4CD8-ABD9-7200294E957B.jpeg

Sponsored

Lou3.6

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep 2016 WK2 75th Anniversary edition
Occupation
retired Navy -- 1984 > 2004
This is important. This means something!

3CD5AD9F-4D72-4CD8-ABD9-7200294E957B.jpeg
mulder . . . MULDER ! Look, over on the table . . . this truly does "mean" something . . . what? I thinks me not, . . . no ashtray FULL of spent CIGS . :swear: :lipssealed:

Toycrusher2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Wow...Tesla isn’t trolling us. Here’s an actual Cybertruck being tested, looks to be Cali!
So how exactly does Tesla get a free pass on "testing" non-street legal vehicles on public roads? Are the cops too chicken to impound it? How come I don't get a free pass to drive around on the street in my own creations?

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
So how exactly does Tesla get a free pass on "testing" non-street legal vehicles on public roads? Are the cops too chicken to impound it? How come I don't get a free pass to drive around on the street in my own creations?
Special permit/waiver. Tesla has enough money to cover any amount of damage their test vehicle might cause.

trez63

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Launch Edition, 2018 Acura NSX, 2016 Range Rover Sport SVR, 2018 Land Rover Discovery, 2017 Kawasaki Z900
Been absent for a while and just seeing this TL;DR thread.
Did anyone mention that it's nearly impossible to reach over the front part of the bed in this design?
Much like all the model X this to me is a cool idea that in reality will absolutely suck.

Sponsored

giskard

First Name
Cameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 BMW i3s
Did anyone mention that it's nearly impossible to reach over the front part of the bed in this design?
Much like all the model X this to me is a cool idea that in reality will absolutely suck.
Yeah, I thought about that right away as I was watching the reveal event. One of the things I'm looking forward to with my Gladiator is being able to reach into the front of the bed to tie things down while standing flat footed on the ground. Not so much with those huge sails on the Cybertruck.

eternus

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sting-Gray Sport S Max Tow
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Manager
I've seen it mentioned a few times. It definitely is a thing to complain about, but there will be good and bad with everything. Perhaps the stuff you'd be putting in the back can now go IN that sail since it's a storage location as well as structural support.
have-you-noticed-that-the-tesla-cybertruck-has-sail-pillar-storages.jpg

Alternatively, the stuff you might be dropping over the side of the truck such as a cooler, maybe groceries? I dunno... I don't reach over the side of my truck for much... could go in the "engine bay" up front that is now storage as well.

WakesurfVT

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, 2014 Centurion Enzo SV233
Occupation
Director of Inside Sales
Another one spotted in the wild ;)

11A6CCBF-C1A6-4986-9ABC-3A7408D2FB46.jpeg