Sponsored

TFL got a JTR Eco Diesel... 1st video review.

AEsco48

First Name
AndresE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Mech Engineer/MBA/Entrepreneur
TFL got a JTR Eco Diesel... 1st video review.

Video comments are interesting...

Sponsored

bgenlvtex

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
I drove diesel trucks from 1986 to 2016 and have no interest at all in having another, particularly in a "mid size" truck with passenger car haul/tow ratings..

The premium they ask for these things, combined with multi generational design flaws in the engines and emissions controls , all only serve to steel my resolve on the diesel matter.

I hope it works out good for the guys who buy them, but I'm not going to be one of them.

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 Scrambler, 1969 Wagoneer, 2022 JTR Ecodiesel
I drove diesel trucks from 1986 to 2016 and have no interest at all in having another, particularly in a "mid size" truck with passenger car haul/tow ratings..
Yet here you are in the Diesel section... :angel:

Josephus

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTDR for Dad. 03' TJ daughter. 07'JKLR to son.
Occupation
IT dude, electrician, and a few other things ;)
Vehicle Showcase
I saw this video yesterday, and I love it.
I think the reason the cargo rating is low is the Mud Tires have a lower speed and load rating than standard AT.
I started sending emails to Jeep back in 2006 begging for a diesel Wrangler, got my hopes up. Bought a 4 cylinder and 6 cylinder CRD Liberty and Grand Cherokee (2005 and 2008).
Loved both of them.
Now I am praying and lining up the finances required to do the JTDR +2” Mopar lift & 8/125k warranty.
I can see a 2015 Livin Lite 28BHS hooked-up and hauling From FL to Moab for Easter... 2022.

ssteve

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
camaro, audi Q, cj2a, ram
There's been several claims that jeep has told people its a heat issue that causes them to reduce payload. Not enough space for the cooling needed with such a small engine compartment.

I saw this video yesterday, and I love it.
I think the reason the cargo rating is low is the Mud Tires have a lower speed and load rating than standard AT.
I started sending emails to Jeep back in 2006 begging for a diesel Wrangler, got my hopes up. Bought a 4 cylinder and 6 cylinder CRD Liberty and Grand Cherokee (2005 and 2008).
Loved both of them.
Now I am praying and lining up the finances required to do the JTDR +2” Mopar lift & 8/125k warranty.
I can see a 2015 Livin Lite 28BHS hooked-up and hauling From FL to Moab for Easter... 2022.

Sponsored

CrazyCooter

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.overlandvehicledynamics.com
Vehicle(s)
1991 JEEP YJ, 2021 JTR Ecodiesel
Occupation
Specialty Off Road Shop Owner
I'll be looking forward to their tow test on the Ike.

I really want a Gladiator, but that 3.6 just doesn't do it for me and no plans that were aware of for the Hemi.

Last edited:

ssteve

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'll be looking forward to their tow test on the Ike.

I really want a Gladiator, but that 3.6 just doesn't do it for me ad no plans that were aware of for the Hemi.
Completely with you there. Without the diesel option I would never have purchased a gladiator.It’s a shame there’s not many motor options in these truck but given the space and epa restraints its understandable.

CrazyCooter

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Completely with you there. Without the diesel option I would never have purchased a gladiator.It’s a shame there’s not many motor options in these truck but given the space and epa restraints its understandable.
I've been saying since the first time I drove a JK.......Just put a 4.7 in the Wrangler and I'd probably buy one even though the 4.7 isn't a great engine either.

ssteve

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've been saying since the first time I drove a JK.......Just put a 4.7 in the Wrangler and I'd probably buy one even though the 4.7 isn't a great engine either.
Yeah. The pentastar is unacceptable imo. The 8spd is great and makes up for a lot of its lack of power but if I’m driving a mid size vehicle I either want some power or a lot better fuel mileage. I always wanted a willys pickup with a 4bt diesel so the gladiator with the ecodiesel is my modern alternative. Hopefully it’s reliable. If not I’ll buy a trx next year and keep using my cj2a as a hunting rig.

Etoimos

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Website
adventuresofetoimos.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR , 2012 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase
There's been several claims that jeep has told people its a heat issue that causes them to reduce payload. Not enough space for the cooling needed with such a small engine compartment.
I'm thinking this might change with the next major update to the JT when they can add the functional hood that allowed them to do the 392 Wrangler. I can see them saving this for the inevitable mid-sized offroad truck towing war.

Sponsored

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Hydro Blue Max Tow
The reliability and much lower cost of the Pentastar over the Eco diesel IMO far outweigh any of the perceived advantages of the diesel.

CrazyCooter

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
The reliability and much lower cost of the Pentastar over the Eco diesel IMO far outweigh any of the perceived advantages of the diesel.
No doubt.....I dont "want" an ecodiesel, but I definitely can't tolerate driving it with the 3.6. I really want a decent sized V8! Don't care if it gets 10-14 mpg

ssteve

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There's no perception when it comes to power. If you do the math its not a lot more for a whole lot more usable power. $21 per ft lbs of tq difference. If you do 37's on both your talking about getting 12mpg on the gasser and still over 20mpg with the diesel. You can narrow that gap with gearing the gasser but then your into it a couple grand and basically cutting 50% of your "perceived" advantage in buying the minivan motor. Ill take a diesel over a supercharged pentestar and at that point the diesel is cheaper.

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 Scrambler, 1969 Wagoneer, 2022 JTR Ecodiesel
No doubt.....I dont "want" an ecodiesel, but I definitely can't tolerate driving it with the 3.6. I really want a decent sized V8! Don't care if it gets 10-14 mpg
Agreed. Jeep can't bring on the 3.6L replacement soon enough. I hope they build the I-6 turbo, but haven't heard anything about that in many months. I could see Jeep waiting until the Bronco debuts which will trounce the current V6, then counter-punching with the I-6 with 15-20% more hp/tq.

CrazyCooter

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
There's no perception when it comes to power. If you do the math its not a lot more for a whole lot more usable power. $21 per ft lbs of tq difference. If you do 37's on both your talking about getting 12mpg on the gasser and still over 20mpg with the diesel. You can narrow that gap with gearing the gasser but then your into it a couple grand and basically cutting 50% of your "perceived" advantage in buying the minivan motor. Ill take a diesel over a supercharged pentestar and at that point the diesel is cheaper.
Cost has almost nothing to do with the decision for me. I can gear it for free since I have take out gears on the shelf..... I have also re-geared all of the Jeep platforms over the past 30 years......you don't get any power back, its just more usable in the range of cruise speeds.

I've been building on a JT for a client so I have a fair amount of seat time......enough to know as soon as I hit the hills with a trailer I'm not going to be happy.

Simple test......When the ecodiesel tows up the Ike 2 mins faster with a 6k trailer than the gasser.......Thats a big difference. Hard thing is they towed a 7650 trailer with the gas JT as a test of max tow? The diesel will only probably be 6000, its max rating? Won't be apples to apples. The Ram ecodiesel did pretty well at 12k gcwr, so I have to assume the JT will too.
Sponsored