The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.

Steve Rollin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave, 2017 LX570, 2015 MB wagon
Things I don't like:
Auto start stop.
Way underpowered. Worse with 37s of course but man I work the transmission over keeping the revs up. Jeep has to fix this to keep up. Not generally a turbo fan but they are way behind the competition.
Windshield cracks too easily. Whether it's the geometry or construction, I cracked at 800 miles.
Window switches. I've driven a few BMWs too but center switches are just counterintuitive imho.
No dead pedal. Inexcusable. Such a pita to install.

Things I like / love:
Looks bad ass. People come up and ask me questions all the time. Way more than happened with many of my much nicer cars I've driven. Makes up for all of the above when I walk out and look at it and smile.
Ability to stuff 37's from the factory. Sold me on the mojave to be honest.
Road manners for a jeep are miles above my JK. Don't mind long trips at all. Much more stable at highway speeds.
Eight speed transmission is huge improvement over my JK as well.
Interior is much improved versus JK. Not modern fancy but love the functionality of the knobs for volume and AC. And the nav screen is very easy and intuitive to me as well.
Backup camera. Seriously such good resolution.
Modularity. I can't work on anything but will try a lot of projects on my jeep. Don't really touch my other cars.
Gas mileage. I'm happy to get 15 in my jeep with 37s and 4.10 gears. I was getting 10 mpg in my JK 2 door. Factor in regular unleaded and I think the MPG isn't that bad to be honest.
Everything offroad. I don't push my jeep at all but when I do anything in mud or at the ranch it reminds me of just how capable it is.
Sponsored

OP
OP
AstroZombie

AstroZombie

First Name
Arthur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon, '04 Tacoma PreRunner
Occupation
Tech Support
I like how pressing the Siri button on the steering wheel lowers the AC fan speed so you can more easily give commands to Siri.

Itā€™s the little touches like that which amaze me!

Then thereā€™s crap like the gas burping issue and the flacky stereo that just make me say ā€œWTF Jeep!ā€ @JeepCares knows what Iā€™m talking about.
Whatā€™s the gas burp?

OP
OP
AstroZombie

AstroZombie

First Name
Arthur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Tech Support
Things I don't like:
Auto start stop.
Way underpowered. Worse with 37s of course but man I work the transmission over keeping the revs up. Jeep has to fix this to keep up. Not generally a turbo fan but they are way behind the competition.
Windshield cracks too easily. Whether it's the geometry or construction, I cracked at 800 miles.
Window switches. I've driven a few BMWs too but center switches are just counterintuitive imho.

Things I like / love:
Looks bad ass. People come up and ask me questions all the time. Way more than happened with many of my much nicer cars I've driven. Makes up for all of the above when I walk out and look at it and smile.
Ability to stuff 37's from the factory. Sold me on the mojave to be honest.
Road manners for a jeep are miles above my JK. Don't mind long trips at all. Much more stable at highway speeds.
Eight speed transmission is huge improvement over my JK as well.
Interior is much improved versus JK. Not modern fancy but love the functionality of the knobs for volume and AC. And the nav screen is very easy and intuitive to me as well.
Backup camera. Seriously such good resolution.
Modularity. I can't work on anything but will try a lot of projects on my jeep. Don't really touch my other cars.
Gas mileage. I'm happy to get 15 in my jeep with 37s and 4.10 gears. I was getting 10 mpg in my JK 2 door. Factor in regular unleaded and I think the MPG isn't that bad to be honest.
Everything offroad. I don't push my jeep at all but when I do anything in mud or at the ranch it reminds me of just how capable it is.
Very well said. I love the resolution on the backup camera and yes, they are extremely BADASS!! Very user friendly indeed. As much as the little things we mention here they are mostly personal preferences, thatā€™s great. Itā€™s nice to see lots of us have the same opinions about the stupid crap.
I donā€™t think Iā€™ll ever get to know all the extra fancy off-road stuff they added but I sure am going to try.

foo.c

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR, 2021 Corvette
The manual mode on the 8AT (for me anyway) is bass ackwards from what Iā€™m used to. It should be forward to upshift & backward to downshift. Disabling ESS every time I start it is a minor annoyance.

Pretty much love everything else.
It's correct how it is. It's from racing. When you are threshold breaking it's much easier to push forward than pull back. So downshift is push, upshift is pull.

Sponsored

OP
OP
AstroZombie

AstroZombie

First Name
Arthur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Tech Support
Hahaha. I found it after I searched. Crazy. Have not had it. The electric steering issue is something I cannot get used to though. Wanders like Iā€™m on 48ā€ tires.

Munkey Boy

First Name
matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda CX-3, '79 CJ5, '21 JT Sport S manual.
Occupation
Camp Maintenance
Don't likes:

Carpet. These OFF ROAD TRUCKS need an option of a complete weatherproof floor liner, like Armorlite's, for those of us that feel a vacuum is a home appliance only. And on a side note there, some beater seat covers or an option for just some weatherproof butt rests.

Raised mounting lugs for the tray under the rear seats. With the above complaint, Jeep's decision to mount the lugs on welded extensions make for those of us with a dog have to look at those as a bad decision. Anyone looking to delete the rear seats also have the seat hooks to contend with. Why not make these points bolt on instead?

Pinch seam under the cab. I luckily found Rubi rock rail take-offs for $35/pair but see them less of protection and more of a cover for that unfinished look.

Reverse. Manual tranny here and the reverse is way too tall. I'm adventurous, but going that fast in reverse or looking retarded as I stall is not fun. Getting used to it though. Reverse that is, not looking retarded. šŸ˜• Additionally, I'd trade that second overdrive of sixth for a granny instead. Even with the 3.73, this thing would crawl anywhere and redline at 3 MPH. Yes, please!

COLORS. It's such a niche market anyways and they charge $245 for everything other than white. Why the hell not make EVERY color available to order? Gator, HELL YES! Gobi, YES! White, HELL no! The rest, meh. Although I do find the Granite Crystal to be better than I expected, I'm pleased.

Only real complaints, everything else amounts to the most fun ride I've ever had. EVER!

Midnight Rider

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sport S, RIP.
Occupation
Senior Construction Inspector
Vehicle Showcase
It's correct how it is. It's from racing. When you are threshold breaking it's much easier to push forward than pull back. So downshift is push, upshift is pull.
I did not know that, thanks for the info. I come from many years of Toyota ownership so thatā€™s what Iā€™m used to. First Jeep, I learn something every time Iā€™m on here.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
This is the case with any vehicle. What do you all think is good bad and tolerable but could be better?

I'd like to start with the wiper switch. WTF? you push it up to quick wipe. Pull it back to spray. Most wiper handles you would push down to turn on, nope you have to twist the :surprised: tip. Just a small annoyance LOL.

What are the little things you all love or love to hate?
Twist to turn wipers on is common. In fact the more you turn, the more frequent the wipe until you turn far enough and it's on, then turn more and it's high speed.
It's been that way on our last several vehicles.
But normally "mist" is down, not up like JT and pull is wash/spray so that's correct.
Everything matched my Chevy exactly EXCEPT the push UP to single-cycle it. Our other Jeeps and the Chevy was down to single-cycle it.
So for wipers, the only difference I see is up for single-cycle.

The manual mode on the 8AT (for me anyway) is bass ackwards from what Iā€™m used to. It should be forward to upshift & backward to downshift.
Yes - unless you put in a reverse pattern valve body, mine have always been shove the shifter forward for an upshift, pull back to downshift "up/forward, down/backward"
My ratchet shifter was exactly that way. Pull it all the way back for low, then when you want to upshift you smacked the shifter forward - then smacked it forward again for the next upshift. It was literally a ratchet shift. The shifter always returned after you smacked it forward to upshift.

Not a fan of drive by wire.
This isn't. It's a mechanical connection. That's why it can't self-park, etc. You can actually turn the wheels with the engine off.

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Hydro Blue Max Tow
I like the interior, stereo is good, sounds great to me, seats are very comfortable, heated steering wheel and seats work very well, oil changes couldnā€™t be much easier.
The only thing I really donā€™t like is the manual sliding rear window, really needs to be powered.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Piece of cake to install. A single nut. Takes 30 seconds. It took me longer to open the box and pull the parts out than to install it - but then I agree on the automatics it should be there like the WJ floor was. My Chevy had the same problem - no place to put your foot.

That's not how the performance ratchet shifter was in my car (built by the prior owner for racing) - smack it forward to upshift, then it returned, smack it forward again and it shifted up again.
But then one usually puts in a reverse pattern valve body for hardcore racing.

Auto start stop.
Get used to it - it's an industry thing and WILL be more common by 2024/2025. In fact I think I heard that Chevy had plans to put it in everything.

Keep the ac or the heater in it doesnā€™t shut off. šŸ¤£
Wrong. It does. I have my AC on in auto mode and even when it's 95 out, ESS works. If yours doesn't shut off, scroll to page 7 of your display and find out why.

I wish the buttons behind the steering wheel that control the radio, left side controls which station right side does the volume, were switched. I dont change the station much but the volume yes. With my left arm doing most of the driving and resting on the window opening it would be more user friendly, for me.
Thats about it.
Right=volume, left=station is typical and normal. My Chevy was that way.
Been that way on every Grand Cherokee we've ever had which had the steering wheel controls.

Len

First Name
Len
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I love the fact that my lights come on when I turn my windshield wipers on. I wish the back window in the hardtop could be opened like all the other windows...with a switch. I actually wish they made the truck bed a standard depth, mean, I like the fact that I can reach into it from over the the side and grab anything out of it but it's too sallow to carry a large ice chest and close my tonneau cover.
But all said, I wouldn't trade my JTR for anything else. I absolutely love my truck!!

Last edited:

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Then thereā€™s crap like the gas burping issue and the flacky stereo that just make me say ā€œWTF Jeep!ā€ @JeepCares knows what Iā€™m talking about.

Mine has only done the "gas burp" thing one time in 21 months of ownership and 18,000 miles.

The infotainment is not a Jeep thing - check out the JDPowers report posted elsewhere in the forums - it's industry-wide. One of the biggest complaints of all. So it's not "WTF Jeep" - it's either the industry can't keep up with auto-makers demands, or........... Last I knew, Jeep bought the radios........
Anyway, it's a complaint across the industry - flaky "infotainment" systems so I wonder if the auto industry is pushing so hard the industry making the systems just can't keep up?

Len

First Name
Len
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Don't likes:

Carpet. These OFF ROAD TRUCKS need an option of a complete weatherproof floor liner, like Armorlite's, for those of us that feel a vacuum is a home appliance only. And on a side note there, some beater seat covers or an option for just some weatherproof butt rests.

Raised mounting lugs for the tray under the rear seats. With the above complaint, Jeep's decision to mount the lugs on welded extensions make for those of us with a dog have to look at those as a bad decision. Anyone looking to delete the rear seats also have the seat hooks to contend with. Why not make these points bolt on instead?

Pinch seam under the cab. I luckily found Rubi rock rail take-offs for $35/pair but see them less of protection and more of a cover for that unfinished look.

Reverse. Manual tranny here and the reverse is way too tall. I'm adventurous, but going that fast in reverse or looking retarded as I stall is not fun. Getting used to it though. Reverse that is, not looking retarded. šŸ˜• Additionally, I'd trade that second overdrive of sixth for a granny instead. Even with the 3.73, this thing would crawl anywhere and redline at 3 MPH. Yes, please!

COLORS. It's such a niche market anyways and they charge $245 for everything other than white. Why the hell not make EVERY color available to order? Gator, HELL YES! Gobi, YES! White, HELL no! The rest, meh. Although I do find the Granite Crystal to be better than I expected, I'm pleased.

Only real complaints, everything else amounts to the most fun ride I've ever had. EVER!
I keep my carpets in my attic, solved that problem šŸ˜‚ and my 2020 is Gator free of charge. Didn't have to pay one cent extra for it. But, I do agree every color just be free of charge. Seems ridiculous that you pay so much for a vehicle and then charge you to paint it. WTF!!

foo.c

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR, 2021 Corvette
That's not how the performance ratchet shifter was in my car (built by the prior owner for racing) - smack it forward to upshift, then it returned, smack it forward again and it shifted up again.
But then one usually puts in a reverse pattern valve body for hardcore racing.
Yeah, that's just the normal gear select pattern for an auto.

In race cars these are sequential manual gearboxes. Kinda like a motorcycle transmission.
Sponsored