First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURD & 22 JTRD
Occupation
Bum
Calif considers it a truck and unless you have a full time camper installed your license plates and fees are calculates as a commercial vehicle like a pickup truck or a semi
Sponsored

Geoarch

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
swxrflab.net
Vehicle(s)
2024 JTR, Bright White AT; 2022 JTR MT (traded)
Occupation
geoarchaeologist (retired)

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
For me a "truck" has a body on frame construction. That means Gladiator, Tacoma, Frontier, Ranger ect. are "mid size trucks" Sure some guys distinguish a truck as full size and then there are even some others that believe a "truck" actually starts at 3/4 and above. Again, if it has a bed and frame it is a truck. A Honda Ridgeline, Subaru Baja, and Hyundai Santa Cruz are not trucks. Yes, they have a bed but that is the only truck like feature. They basically are more like a modern El Camino or Ranchero which are traditionally modeled after cars. The first generation El Camino was an Impala with a bed, later a Chevelle, lastly off a Caprice. I am less of a Ford guy but Ranchero was first based off the car called a Falcon..point is based off a car.
That has never been the definition ever - it's opinion, but not based in fact or history. Frame has nothing to do with it.

vehicle designed to carry freight or goods or to perform special services such as fire fighting

Cornell says - non-passenger automobile which has a passenger compartment and an open cargo area .

FormerToyotaGuy

First Name
Acen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Legislative
That has never been the definition ever - it's opinion, but not based in fact or history. Frame has nothing to do with it.

vehicle designed to carry freight or goods or to perform special services such as fire fighting

Cornell says - non-passenger automobile which has a passenger compartment and an open cargo area .
"That has never been the definition ever -it's opinion" ....RIGHT so my opening statement states "For me a truck" Pretty much says opinion.

BajaTym

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 JTR, Bright White
Occupation
IT Professional; Retired Military
These discussions are awesome. I’m too lazy to read all the posts, so I’ll just go ahead and make the assumption someone else has already made this point, but just in case they haven’t…

(1) According to the Oxford English Dictionary, a car is defined as, “a four-wheeled road vehicle that is powered by an engine and is able to carry a small number of people.”

So of course the Gladiator is a “car”. But what “type” of car? compact pickup truck, it’s simple.

(2) The one thing I would argue, with few exceptions, is that the Gladiator is NOT a “rig”. Those few exceptions are the pickup trucks that meet this Definition, “an apparatus, device, or piece of equipment designed for a particular purpose.”

😁👍

Sponsored

Rocksalt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport
the wrangler is not a car.. so how the hell is a gladiator a car?

Pleease.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Mercedes CLK350, 2016 Lexus GX460, 2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL-AWD
For me a "truck" has a body on frame construction. That means Gladiator, Tacoma, Frontier, Ranger ect. are "mid size trucks" Sure some guys distinguish a truck as full size and then there are even some others that believe a "truck" actually starts at 3/4 and above. Again, if it has a bed and frame it is a truck. A Honda Ridgeline, Subaru Baja, and Hyundai Santa Cruz are not trucks. Yes, they have a bed but that is the only truck like feature. They basically are more like a modern El Camino or Ranchero which are traditionally modeled after cars. The first generation El Camino was an Impala with a bed, later a Chevelle, lastly off a Caprice. I am less of a Ford guy but Ranchero was first based off the car called a Falcon..point is based off a car.
To me it's more about functionality than the structure that enables the functions. Frame or not, the Ridgeline has payload capacity near 1500# and 4x8 sheet goods lie flat on the bed floor - that's a truck.

homerun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 XJ, 2004 Ford Ranger, 2013 Subaru Impreza, 1996 HD Springer Softtail, past jeep 1995 YJ

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
cars are cars, SUVs are SUVs trucks are trucks
Most things called suv by marketing people are really all wheel drive station wagons that get hung up on small road kill. Joke to call most "SUVs" a suv. And many states license them as station wagons. Jeep never called the original Cherokee a suv.

Chunky White

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Industrial Electrician
Most things called suv by marketing people are really all wheel drive station wagons that get hung up on small road kill. Joke to call most "SUVs" a suv. And many states license them as station wagons. Jeep never called the original Cherokee a suv.
My Grandmother always thought it was weird that I drove a station wagon/ Grand Cherokee. When my sister bought an Explorer she asked when station wagons became popular for young people.

Most people have called my Gladiator a Jeep and not a truck or anything else. I call it the same thing but consider it a truck

Rocksalt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport
gladiator is kicensed as a truck in Illinois. maybe not in Iowa.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
gladiator is kicensed as a truck in Illinois. maybe not in Iowa.
Yes, Gladiator is. But for the jokes called SUVs.....those are stationwagons. JT is a truck with a bed and registered as a truck in IA. In fact my Chevy truck plates transferred from my Silverado to my jt back in 2019.
Sponsored