Sponsored

The Jeep Gladiator IS a CAR!!

DMoney

First Name
Dillon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Mitsubishi Montero Sport w/ 1.5 inch lift.
Occupation
Freight-liner Diesel Technician
Next Explorer is allegedly returning to BOF.
Like @Jeepers! Said it will be a crossover, but it is switching back to a RWD biased AWD system instead of the FWD biased AWD system.
Sponsored

The Acme Company

First Name
jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator LE 2018 JLUR
So as an former Louisiana car dealer it amazed me that all Jeep vehicles were considered cars. A J-10 or 3/4 ton J20 could get a car license plate— which was cheaper than registering a truck. A Ranchero or El Camino was considered a truck and had to be licensed as such. Made absolutely no sense to me!

Zilla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
My favorite car is my Jeep.

SuburbanGP88

First Name
Willy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Retired
I paid for it. I'll call it a car or truck or whatever else I want. Tomorrow I might name it "Christie" or "Angelica" if I want.

Angler3

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 gladiator
When I pull into a nyc garage, they charge me extra and tell me it’s because the gladiator is a truck...

Sponsored

TYJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
I think the word “car” and “vehicle” have been synonymous for a long time. Whether that’s grammatically right or wrong it’s now standardized American English vernacular for better or worse.

TrainMan

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Chevy Silverado, 2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S.
No. A Jeep could be considered an SUV, but imo the Gladiator is a truck. Especially since Pennsylvania gave me a Class 2 truck decal for the windshield.

Last edited:

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Iowa:
Gladiator = pickup truck.
They are licensed as such. In fact, I still run my 2011 Silverado license plate on it because as long as you replace a vehicle you trade or sell within 90 days, you run the same license plate and the fee simply transfers forward although they'll ADD to that since it's newer and more expensive.
Grand Cherokee, Cherokee, etc. = station wagon.
But trust me - most station wagon registrations or licenses won't cost nearly as much! They are listed on the title and registration as "4 door station wagon".

Interesting as the Grand Cherokee as a 200 pound HIGHER towing capability than the Gladiator Overland.

Higher_Ground

First Name
J. T.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Sport S
I find myself calling it a car pretty often, as in "stop playing around and get in the car!"

Looking it up, "car" has been around the English language longer than the internal combustion engine. If it has wheels and moves people around, you can probably get away with calling it a car.

Now as for "truck" that refers to anything carrying goods, even if it's just a frame with wheels (ex. hand truck).

Interestingly enough no mention of a bed. I tried looking up "pickup" but didn't get the results I was hoping for. I thought "sedan" might get me somewhere and sure enough that refers back to the good old "chair in a box carried on poles by 2-4 people". We've come a long way from walking.

Dqban

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator overland
Occupation
APRN
In the United States, the word "car" has evolved to mean a form of personal transportation with four wheels that is allowed to drive on public roads and typically requires an operators license. It is much like the word "band-Aid" refering to all small sticky bandages.
If the bartender ask for the keys to your car, he's not going to tell you "never mind" when you hand him the keys to your truck.

Sponsored

SuburbanGP88

First Name
Willy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Retired
A car is a generic term for the 4 wheel powered conveyance and trucks or convertibles or sedans or SUV are subclasses within the car realm.

homerun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 XJ, 2004 Ford Ranger, 2013 Subaru Impreza, 1996 HD Springer Softtail, past jeep 1995 YJ
"What we have here is a failure to communicate..." -Cool Hand Luke 1967

The Jeep Gladiator Is the Most Reliable Car Consumer Reports Has Tested
Replies30Views5,556

icon10.png
Jeep Gladiator is the 2020 North American Truck of the Year
Replies13Views2,594
nice I love learning the original origins of stuff. I would have attributed “What we have here is a failure to communicate..." to Axle Rose, civil war, use your illusion II, 1991. Thanks for the education.

The one I find myself correcting people the most on is “Regulators Mount Up” Charlie Sheen in Young Guns not Warren G.

Can you tell I grew up in the 90s? LOL

PanhandleChuck

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTM
Occupation
U.S. Marine Corps (Ret)
I think its more a north or south soda or pop thing. And others call all soda’s coke. Some call all four wheel passenger automobiles a car. It’s has nothing to with it’s classification or actual name. 🤷🏻‍♂️ Mine is the best of both worlds, a Jeep and a truck!

XJADDICTION

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT SS Max Tow, 2005 WK Hemi, 2013 Mustang GT
Occupation
Surgical CSFA
You forgot the frame. It musnt be unibody, thats why pickups like a baja aren't a truck.
But ya I pretty much call anything with 4 wheels, a frame, a engine and 4x4 a truck. Even suvs like suburbans.
To me if it has a bed and fits the other requirements then it is a pickup truck but if it doesn't have a bed (SUVs) it is a SUV truck.
So what do you call an MJ (Jeep Comanche) ?

Half unibody and half frame? 🤔
Sponsored