First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 Jeep Wrangler, 12 Acura MDX, 23 Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Data Architect
My quest for a Glad started a few weeks ago and been tracking a couple of candidates using cargurus. Went for a test drive yesterday and arrived to find the "new price of $48,991" was done. I swear when I left to see it it was the $42,595. Anyway, crazy times. Not sure it if it was done during my test drive but it does not match the new normal in the used car market which saw a YoY decrease.

The numbers at $42K were good but at $49K it is a no go. Besides, who would be "happy" buying it when the price history shows a roller-coaster in its price history? Cargurus shows Gladiators are plentiful and sit for long periods of time w/o sale. The CARFAX site shows some units switching dealers after "X" days. Can't help but think they had a fish and jacked it while I was doing the test drive. That is a price increase of $6400 or 15% in less than a few days. :whew:

Jeep Gladiator The Joy of Buying Used Capture.PNG
Sponsored

Last edited:

kennyglm

First Name
kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 gladiator
i paid 62 for my 21 with 2000 miles on it . I feel i got a good deal on it because it has alot of mods done to it. The dealer started at 75 thousand and i let it sit there for 8 weeks till i saw it come down in price . I checked there website daily and the price was a roller coaster.
Jeep Gladiator The Joy of Buying Used 01436F6D-11A9-4A99-8AA6-5BFCBC8A36D3.JPG

jjs3845

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator Overland
Expect a call in a few days as long as you stay away. They need to hear crickets form you now. From that price history, they're looking to see how far you're willing to go. If you really want to play, when they come back (and I'm pretty sure they will) them you want 40K. They'll of course say no, but they'll be back.

Seen that game waaayyyy to many times. As long as you have patience, you will win almost every time (unless what you want is unreasonable but I do not think you're unreasonable)

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
My quest for a Glad started a few weeks ago and been tracking a couple of candidates using cargurus. Went for a test drive yesterday and arrived to find the "new price of $48,991" was done. I swear when I left to see it it was the $42,595. Anyway, crazy times. Not sure it if it was done during my test drive but it does not match the new normal in the used car market which saw a YoY decrease.

The numbers at $42K were good but at $49K it is a no go. Besides, who would be "happy" buying it when the price history shows a roller-coaster in its price history? Cargurus shows Gladiators are plentiful and sit for long periods of time w/o sale. The CARFAX site shows some units switching dealers after "X" days. Can't help but think they had a fish and jacked it while I was doing the test drive. That is a price increase of $6400 or 15% in less than a few days. :whew:

Let me guess, Sloane Toyota of Philly?

Sponsored

carmigo

First Name
Carmigo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
Occupation
We help sellers get multiple offer for their car in as little as one business day.

What a wild ride. Great job doing your homework before buying.

OP
OP
pepeborja

pepeborja

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Data Architect
Let me guess, Sloane Toyota of Philly?
Will not confirm or deny :clap: .

I went through the usual drivers license drill which to my understanding can give them an idea of your credit worthiness. I do not have proof as to when the price went up but the day before I checked ans saw it was up to $43K figuring that being asking they would go back to the lowest listed price of 41.5. Did the price go up when they saw my report, that I do not know, but to see a 15% price jump is a bit much considering the current market conditions. Plus, none of the other Jeeps I am following went up. 🤔

I found a youtube channel "Your Advocate Alliance" and got a good education on the entire process as well as market conditions and trends. Just in my area alone there are are over 47 Glads for sale in a 10 mile radius. So plenty of choices to be had. After watching that channel and visiting their website they can calculate for you the "Out The Door" price for the car you choose if paying asking, the important thing there is the disclosure of taxes and related fees. According to them the good times are over and prices have to come down to a "new normal" but the 80% increase we saw in 2 years is going down by about 1.5% a month so they say, hence the desire of dealers to sell overpriced inventory that is going down in price at that rate ans is costing floor space $.

What I learnt from them is to get the FAIR market value for the car using a few websites, multiply the value by .97 and then add taxes, license, registration, and doc fee. That becomes your MAX limit for an "out the door" deal. Doing so prepares you mentally to what you are willing to do by giving you the data and limit for the deal.

I have plenty of time and no immediate urge to buy. I will see how the dust settles on this one.

Capture.PNG

Last edited:
OP
OP
pepeborja

pepeborja

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Data Architect
Expect a call in a few days as long as you stay away. They need to hear crickets form you now. From that price history, they're looking to see how far you're willing to go. If you really want to play, when they come back (and I'm pretty sure they will) them you want 40K. They'll of course say no, but they'll be back.

Seen that game waaayyyy to many times. As long as you have patience, you will win almost every time (unless what you want is unreasonable but I do not think you're unreasonable)
You are correct. I am keeping an eye on the market and trying to be accommodating to price things accordingly while giving the dealer their due profit... they have to eat too.

What is disturbing is how the price went down steadily by almost $8K to January 7 and by the 10th it went back to where they started 54 days ago. Clearly they were OK with the low $41.5K price then but now the plan has changed for whatever reasons.

The "Good News" in this is that they killed my competition for that Jeep by pricing it above market. Don't have to worry much about someone snipping it like the first one I test drove and I was not fast to the trigger. I will sit back and keep monitoring the situation.

Sarge502

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Thin Blue Line
Vehicle Showcase
Bought mine used with barely 2k miles on it. Sat at 52k at the time, which in my area for a loaded Overland wasnt horrible. However, go it down to 47k then with taxes and fees right around 49K in the end which wasn't bad.

Only feature my Overland doesn't have is "adaptive" cruise control....just normal cruise control. Which I could care less. Every other feature or group package is equipped. So overall my experience was great.

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
And this is why I bought my truck from Gupton at 7% under invoice.

It was less than I could pick something up locally USED.

And let me tell you the Gupton deal was ZERO stress, ZERO hassle.

I sent them a build, he sent me a configurtion from the dealer tool. If it was what i wanted, I clicked on a link and left a deposit. 2 months later I flew in, they picked, me up at the airport. The numbers on the paperwork matched the numbers on the quote to the penny.

I signed and drove off happy.

Zero stress. REally. Zero.
Yes, getting a deal was great. But getting a deal and not having to fight for it was priceless.

Sponsored

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You are correct. I am keeping an eye on the market and trying to be accommodating to price things accordingly while giving the dealer their due profit... they have to eat too.

What is disturbing is how the price went down steadily by almost $8K to January 7 and by the 10th it went back to where they started 54 days ago. Clearly they were OK with the low $41.5K price then but now the plan has changed for whatever reasons.

The "Good News" in this is that they killed my competition for that Jeep by pricing it above market. Don't have to worry much about someone snipping it like the first one I test drove and I was not fast to the trigger. I will sit back and keep monitoring the situation.
Have you tried giving one of the discounting dealers a call. My truck stickered at 63 and I got it for 56.

I don't know what options the used ones had, but you should be able to buy a strippie for about 34k. Or a base rubicon for about 45k from one of teh discounting dealers.

Last edited:

Jrap

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Willys, 2019 Wrangler JL 2.0
Occupation
Banker
So if you're really interested in this one, why don't you explain to them their price a few days earlier and offer that, or something closer to it? As others said, you can get a good $6-8K off a new 2022. I got a 2022 Willys sticker for 54, bought for 47.

Orange01z28

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S
And this is why I bought my truck from Gupton at 7% under invoice.

It was less than I could pick something up locally USED.

And let me tell you the Gupton deal was ZERO stress, ZERO hassle.

I sent them a build, he sent me a configurtion from the dealer tool. If it was what i wanted, I clicked on a link and left a deposit. 2 months later I flew in, they picked, me up at the airport. The numbers on the paperwork matched the numbers on the quote to the penny.

I signed and drove off happy.

Zero stress. REally. Zero.
Yes, getting a deal was great. But getting a deal and not having to fight for it was priceless.
From all that i've heard about Gupton I will probably buy my next one from them

Coachcal

First Name
Aidan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Education
Man all of those prices sound crazy. Mine is up for sale for $40,000 if you want to drive it home from Texas! ;)

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
I paid $37,100 out the door for mine brand new in February if 2020. It was listed for $41,000 but I got $8,000 worth of rebates on it. I Got about $4,000 in mods on it. I was most recently offered $40000 for it at the dealership and it's got 64,000 miles on it.

PXL_20220601_213734217.MP.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited: