Sponsored

The Joy of Buying Used

Blitzinger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Wait til Spring. I feel like the correction for car prices has only just begin. you’re going to see a lot of these online used car buying companies go bankrupt because they paid crazy prices for used vehicles that will plummet in value.
Sponsored

Jteakus

First Name
Teakus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURD, 2022 JTRD
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I had good luck with Koons as well. I saved $7K from buying at my local dealer. That includes paying $1,100 shipping to my home which I could have avoided had I told them I wanted courtesy shipping. Nine miles on it and speced like I wanted. Cheaper interest rate on a new one if you are financing too. Doesn't hurt to check.

jeventures

First Name
JonEric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Business
If you don’t need the truck right away I would wait. My opinion is that there will be a larger excess supply in another 60 days and dealers will start facing reality. They are already paying lower prices at auction I believe.

AmishMike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon, 56 Coronet, 65 Dune Buggy,
Occupation
Whipping boy
Seriously consider traveling to buy. There are great deals all over the country. Use a search engine like cars.com. I have bought out of state a few times and the travel was cheaper than local price plus you get the experience.
Either way get what you want don’t settle. Nothing is worse than getting a good deal on something that you don’t like.
Also financing new is cheaper than used.

Andy29847

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Wrangler Rubicon, 2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
It doesn't matter what they ask. It only matters what you pay. If you were happy at 42K and the truck looked good, you can make an offer. My last few negotiations have ended up in a "what would you pay" scenario. I always have a number ready and give it to them. There is always a couple of attempts to "up" my offer before they say OK. I like to limit my talks to out the door prices. The durn Gumbys will add a charge for their kid's school tuition if you let them.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Minty JL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 XC90 - 23 JTM - 19 JLUR - 04 355 ZQ8
Occupation
USA(R), DoD Field Ops Engineer
I wanted a Gecko green Mojave. I had found some..............but I was not going to pay $57-65k for a used truck. SO I ordered my '23 JTM and had it in about 2 months.

1) Better interest rates new
2) New warranty
3) cheaper a used truck paid $51k out the door

jjs3845

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator Overland
You are correct. I am keeping an eye on the market and trying to be accommodating to price things accordingly while giving the dealer their due profit... they have to eat too.

What is disturbing is how the price went down steadily by almost $8K to January 7 and by the 10th it went back to where they started 54 days ago. Clearly they were OK with the low $41.5K price then but now the plan has changed for whatever reasons.

The "Good News" in this is that they killed my competition for that Jeep by pricing it above market. Don't have to worry much about someone snipping it like the first one I test drove and I was not fast to the trigger. I will sit back and keep monitoring the situation.
I have learned that even if someone buys this and you miss it, there's a hundred more where that came from. As long as you're not in an urgent need, you can get a god deal.

This may sound stupid (and it probably is) but when I go to buy a new vehicle, I'm prepared to say "no" at least 2 times, and wait up to 2 weeks before tossing the deal. I've had it where I've said no to the salesman twice and wrote the sale off after a week of silence. Then they call with the price I want.

I get it and fully agree they have to eat too - but in your situation where they jack up the price 7K conveniently after you show interest is just the game and seeing how bad you want it and how far you'll go. That's when I suit up.

OP
OP
pepeborja

pepeborja

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 Jeep Wrangler, 12 Acura MDX, 23 Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Data Architect
This may sound stupid (and it probably is) but when I go to buy a new vehicle, I'm prepared to say "no" at least 2 times, and wait up to 2 weeks before tossing the deal. I've had it where I've said no to the salesman twice and wrote the sale off after a week of silence. Then they call with the price I want.
Buying a used car is always a thrill, but manageable if one prepares for it. Enter Youtube, carfax, and cargurs

The youtube channel I have been learning from Your Advocate Alliance (YAA) has an old timer that spent his whole life in the car business. He says expect 5 NOs from a customer before you get a YES. So you are right up there with him.

The other thing they call for is OUT THE DOOR (OTD) price, which in essence puts them on notice that A) the customer is playing ball, done his homework, and is a buyer, and B) they have to work the numbers to meet the customer's OTD. The OTD is your offer + tax + registration + license + doc fees. Nothing else. They actually sell merch with the "Out The Door" and "if it is taxable, it is negotiable" slogans, so that is how much the OTD means to them 😁

According to him, the customer must do his homework and prepare the OTD before setting foot at the dealer. If it is a go (after test drive) then the customer gives the salesperson the OTD. Customer must expect the the back/forth to take place but the customer must be prepared to say NO until they make the numbers match the OTD or there is no deal. He says it may take 5 NOs to get the YES.

Carfax is valuable for two reasons: It has the window sticker price for Jeep/Ram products(MSRP and options) and has the service history (dealer visits and what kind, oil changes or electrical problems?). Cargurus has the price history and number of days on the current lot and other lots.

Nowadays there is no excuse to walk into a dealership unprepared when buying used. It is not what price one pays for the car, it is how one arrives at that price. It is easy today to do the research and make a fair offer using the OTD strategy.

Good hunting.

OP
OP
pepeborja

pepeborja

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 Jeep Wrangler, 12 Acura MDX, 23 Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Data Architect
Seriously consider traveling to buy. There are great deals all over the country. Use a search engine like cars.com. I have bought out of state a few times and the travel was cheaper than local price plus you get the experience.
Either way get what you want don’t settle. Nothing is worse than getting a good deal on something that you don’t like.
Also financing new is cheaper than used.
I am working backwards from the desired outcome and that determines the strategy to achieve the desired outcome which is to get as much rig (i.e., goodies) as I can for $45~$46K "out the door". Preferably a used Rubicon/Mojave city queen with under 30K miles and a good carfax history.

The carfax history is relevant as it shows the types of "visits" the rig made to the dealer, so things like "electrical system check" or "replaced PCM module" can be flags. I have seen some history reports that show nothing but oil changes and inspections and some that show a couple of "electrical" visits followed by a "for sale" sign.

My carfax reserach shows prices are set by the year, model, and miles... the options do not seem to have much impact. CARFAX reports show the Window Sticker for Jeep/Ram products and thus it is easy to compare Jeeps in terms of Asking price vs MSRP vs options on candidate Jeeps.

My objective can only be met in the used market and requires waiting for the right Jeep to come by. The market is also working in buyer's favor as wholesale prices are coming down with retail lagging but they will catch up as they need to turn inventory in order to get customer butts in the Finance office. Margin on sale is one thing, but the Finance office is also a great revenue generator and that office needs customers on a chair. Best to sell 100 cars a month than 50. That is 100% more customers in the Finance office generating revenue from all kinds of products an services.

Sponsored

John_81583

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Accountant
i paid 62 for my 21 with 2000 miles on it . I feel i got a good deal on it because it has alot of mods done to it. The dealer started at 75 thousand and i let it sit there for 8 weeks till i saw it come down in price . I checked there website daily and the price was a roller coaster.
Jeep Gladiator The Joy of Buying Used IMG_5962
love the stance with the wheels and tires, hella sharp looking!

AstroZombie

First Name
Arthur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon, '04 Tacoma PreRunner
Occupation
Tech Support
Mine stickered for like 62 i think but we got it for 58 and it had less than 7 miles on it (most from my test drive.) i dont even know why i test drove it. I would have bought it sight unseen HAHAHAHAHAHA

AstroZombie

First Name
Arthur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon, '04 Tacoma PreRunner
Occupation
Tech Support
I read the post as "The Joy of BEING Used", and I'm like "well there was that gal from Cleveland...."

Indeed, the 73' J4600 was bought used, with no regrets.

Jeep Gladiator The Joy of Buying Used IMG_5962
Love these trucks!!!

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT sports S Max Tow
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
When we got my wifes JLU, and recently my mothers ridgline RTL, I followed the same process I often do. GO WEST. I started to look close to home and found the prices all similar and dealers that wouldn't budge. So I started to move west, away from the shore line. Once you are willing to travel to get a vehicle it opens up a lot more options. On my wifes JLU i saved nearly $6,000 for the exact same model and similar miles. For my mothers ridgeline we found the one she wanted then convinced the dealership to go get it for us by offering $600 cash for the transport costs. Most dealers are charging a "market adjustment" which is an absolute no go for me. So after a bit of back and forth we paid %1 under invoice and had them bring it to us.

Dealers need your business, dont forget that.

Maybe give looking in land a try and see what you can find. If its the right vehicle it can easily be a cheap flight, and a decent first drive home, away from being yours.

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I am working backwards from the desired outcome and that determines the strategy to achieve the desired outcome which is to get as much rig (i.e., goodies) as I can for $45~$46K "out the door". Preferably a used Rubicon/Mojave city queen with under 30K miles and a good carfax history.

The carfax history is relevant as it shows the types of "visits" the rig made to the dealer, so things like "electrical system check" or "replaced PCM module" can be flags. I have seen some history reports that show nothing but oil changes and inspections and some that show a couple of "electrical" visits followed by a "for sale" sign.

My carfax reserach shows prices are set by the year, model, and miles... the options do not seem to have much impact. CARFAX reports show the Window Sticker for Jeep/Ram products and thus it is easy to compare Jeeps in terms of Asking price vs MSRP vs options on candidate Jeeps.

My objective can only be met in the used market and requires waiting for the right Jeep to come by. The market is also working in buyer's favor as wholesale prices are coming down with retail lagging but they will catch up as they need to turn inventory in order to get customer butts in the Finance office. Margin on sale is one thing, but the Finance office is also a great revenue generator and that office needs customers on a chair. Best to sell 100 cars a month than 50. That is 100% more customers in the Finance office generating revenue from all kinds of products an services.
You might want to work backwards from 46K and see what MSRP that will get you new from a discounting dealer.

46k at Gupton means 45,5 ish with their doc fee.

45,500 sell price is going to be 50 ish for a MSRP.

That will get you a stripped Mojave or Rubicon or an optioned up sport.

One questison. I noticed that the 2023 Rubicon and Mojave are about $2k more than the end of year 2022s.

Is that pure price increase, or did they increase the standard eqipment at all??
Sponsored