JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant

Bobzdar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 1989 grand wagoneer
Not gonna lie, if the Defender was out before the Gladiator I might be driving one of those around instead. Really like what they've done with it.

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 Scrambler, 1969 Wagoneer, 2022 JTR Ecodiesel
Sorry it looks like a 4x4 Ford Flex to me :lipssealed:

OP
OP
smlobx

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I agree and it’s more of a mall crawler than anything else...
I'm sorry but I have never considered their vehicles "attractive" and this one is more like something my sister in law might buy (fitting the luxury mall-crawler image).
Sorry, just would never have one in my driveway. Not the least bit appealing in my eyes, the lines aren't there - and yeah, I had to look again, but the lines are very similar to the Flex (which frankly I considered ugly but hey, that's just my OPINION).
And like already said - it's not a truck.

Bobzdar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I mean, I don't really care about the looks, not that I think it's particularly bad (or good), more the capability. It has higher payload and towing than the gladiator, more powerful engine standard and all the off road goodies, including better approach and departure. Factory roof rack and winch. I did a build at similar cost to what I paid for my Rubicon and it was very comparable in capability. No bed, which is a bit of a bummer, but could easily tow whatever I wanted to bring (or put it on the roof). Big thing is no removable roof.

Not that I'm particularly unhappy with my gladiator, quite the opposite, even though it's sitting at the dealer waiting for a new transmission right now. Depending in how long that takes (apparently they have no spare transmissions) I may tell them to keep it and go get a defender.

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link
I mean, I don't really care about the looks, not that I think it's particularly bad (or good), more the capability. It has higher payload and towing than the gladiator, more powerful engine standard and all the off road goodies, including better approach and departure. Factory roof rack and winch. I did a build at similar cost to what I paid for my Rubicon and it was very comparable in capability. No bed, which is a bit of a bummer, but could easily tow whatever I wanted to bring (or put it on the roof). Big thing is no removable roof.

Not that I'm particularly unhappy with my gladiator, quite the opposite, even though it's sitting at the dealer waiting for a new transmission right now. Depending in how long that takes (apparently they have no spare transmissions) I may tell them to keep it and go get a defender.
It is a unibody - ugh..... nice hp rating.... liked the way it crossed the water.... Wheels and Tires look small... Range Rover look is a minus.... Which tranny went out on your Gladiator - auto tranny or manual tranny ? What were the symptoms ?

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase

My question, too - automatic? These are among the best rated transmission out there for vehicles like this, they just don't normally have problems.

As far as payload - so, why would a better payload for a fully enclosed "SUV" be good? I know the Overland is the red-headed step child of these things with the modest payload and such, but with max tow, even the Rubicon, well, to be better than those you'd have to be way up there and there's simply not the space to use a payload over about 1500 pounds! It would take loading THREE 1971 AMC 401 V8 engines to get to that point or closer to home - three Jeep 4.0 I-6s - is there space for that?
IMHO, there's simply not the volume inside to handle 1500 pounds, likely not even 1200 pounds - but then an overweight driver and overweight wife could take it part way there, I guess.
So at least to me, an SUV that has payload that beats the Gladiator has wasted their effort. Towing, heck yeah - but even my wife's '18 Grand Cherokee beats a a JT Overland by a couple hundred pounds. But I if you like luxury, that thing of hers is the cat's meow (for the old folks out there)

Bobzdar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It is a unibody - ugh..... nice hp rating.... liked the way it crossed the water.... Wheels and Tires look small... Range Rover look is a minus.... Which tranny went out on your Gladiator - auto tranny or manual tranny ? What were the symptoms ?
Auto - started shiftiing rough, then shifts started getting slow, would take some gas to get it to engage gear initially, and eventually it went into failsafe (stuck in 4th) on the way to the dealer for the driveshaft recall. They called fca and they didn't ask any questions, just said replace it, and apparently I'm twelfth in line for a new trans. He said it sounded like a known issue given they immediately said to replace it without asking any questions and that large of a backlog. Might not have it back until Christmas.

Sponsored

Bobzdar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My question, too - automatic? These are among the best rated transmission out there for vehicles like this, they just don't normally have problems.

As far as payload - so, why would a better payload for a fully enclosed "SUV" be good? I know the Overland is the red-headed step child of these things with the modest payload and such, but with max tow, even the Rubicon, well, to be better than those you'd have to be way up there and there's simply not the space to use a payload over about 1500 pounds! It would take loading THREE 1971 AMC 401 V8 engines to get to that point or closer to home - three Jeep 4.0 I-6s - is there space for that?
IMHO, there's simply not the volume inside to handle 1500 pounds, likely not even 1200 pounds - but then an overweight driver and overweight wife could take it part way there, I guess.
So at least to me, an SUV that has payload that beats the Gladiator has wasted their effort. Towing, heck yeah - but even my wife's '18 Grand Cherokee beats a a JT Overland by a couple hundred pounds. But I if you like luxury, that thing of hers is the cat's meow (for the old folks out there)
It's not difficult to exceed the payload on a rubi at 1200lbs - 4 adults in it and you're already at 700-800lbs. That said, I'm not hurting for payload, just observing that the defender exceeds it and with the roof rack rated at 400lbs, add 4 adults and more gear in the back, you could easily be at 1500-1600lbs.

MarineHawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Looks like it has front and rear independent suspension, which likely means no lockers. I would not have bought my Rubi Gladiator if it had not had, at least, rear lockers and solid rear axle. It also has the same for the front. It also has appx 20" wheels and skinny tires that would be broken with the first rock contact. Based on the pics, it can play in the bud and water, but it would suffer where I go on rocky trails. Also its cargo volume (rather than payload), which is what matters to me, is far short of the Gladiator.

Bobzdar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Looks like it has front and rear independent suspension, which likely means no lockers. I would not have bought my Rubi Gladiator if it had not had, at least, rear lockers and solid rear axle. It also has the same for the front. It also has appx 20" wheels and skinny tires that would be broken with the first rock contact. Based on the pics, it can play in the bud and water, but it would suffer where I go on rocky trails. Also its cargo volume (rather than payload), which is what matters to me, is far short of the Gladiator.
It has rear locker (not sure about front, but has terrain control which can fully brake a front wheel if needed). Enclosed cargo volume is lower assuming covered bed in the gladiator, but the roof can hold a lot. It has steelies, I think 18", for those that are serious. The other rims are options. I think you can also get at tires, but not mts, but honestly that's a super easy retrofit.

MarineHawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I've personally seen lockers on an independent suspension break. Much weaker than on a solid axle. Independent suspension also = far less articulation.

Bobzdar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've personally seen lockers on an independent suspension break. Much weaker than on a solid axle. Independent suspension also = far less articulation.
And I've broken a solid axle without even having a locker, doesn't really mean anything.

Independent suspension is better in most every other condition than rocks, but if rocks are what you mostly do, then it's a compromise. I do all kinds, so more concerned with other aspects. Lockers are important, payload etc.
Sponsored