The one thing I wished I added - proximity key

swampy

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Willys Wheeler Wrangler, JT Sport S ordered
I missed it. Which package was this a part of? I got the one that had remote start and thought it included this but maybe I’m confused.
Sponsored

giskard

First Name
Cameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 BMW i3s
I missed it. Which package was this a part of? I got the one that had remote start and thought it included this but maybe I’m confused.
It's not part of a package. It's a separate option only available for Overland or Rubicon trims. It's called "Remote Proximity Keyless Entry" in the build and price tool.

swampy

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Willys Wheeler Wrangler, JT Sport S ordered
It's not part of a package. It's a separate option only available for Overland or Rubicon trims. It's called "Remote Proximity Keyless Entry" in the build and price tool.
Thanks. Shoot, I’ll just have the normal keyless entry that comes with the convenience group as I just have the sport s. Makes sense that I didn’t see that additional option then. Guess I’ll have to start it the old fashioned way. Ha, I say that but my JK is manual everything so it’ll feel high tech

Tacoman03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bright White JT Gladiator Rubicon; 2018 Range Rover Velar; 2017 Jaguar F Pace
Vehicle Showcase
I have it and rarely use it. I would not have ordered it had it not come on my JT. Only thing I'd have ordered would have been Tan seats vs black leather that came on mine.
Kinda would've liked the Bluetooth speaker too...….
Oh well, next time!

OP
OP
Lumberjack500

Lumberjack500

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Rubicon Departed: 1979 CJ5, 1995 XJ, 1997 TJ, 2010 JK
Wasn't even an option on my Sport S and I needed the Max tow so there was nothing I could do. I was bummed when I found out. I hate there fob, my last cars fob was a more comfortable shape in my pocket and not quite as big. The first day, I set off the alarm. I was at the other end of the house, and somehow bumped the button. My old one, the button was not set above the fob. It is so easy to push the buttons when they are in your pocket. And did I say it is big.
Also, does everyone's fob look like it is coming apart around the corner by the P in Jeep that doesn't have the keyring loop and along the edge under the Jeep name?
I just noticed mine looks like it’s separated. I took it apart and snapped it back but it still looks off

image.jpg

Sponsored

jsyn

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gobi Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Will the proximity lock still work with a normal key, or does it only come with a proximity sensor?

A lot of us who go off road somewhere tend to leave our keys hidden somewhere on the truck so we don't lose them and so they don't get wet while we're off mountain biking/running/hiking/camping/etc. Proximity Keys destroy all that, because no matter where you hide the key under the car, the doors won't lock because the key is still too close. I buy those combination Master Locks that are made to fit on a home's front door that realtors like to use, then lock it under my truck with a spare key in it. That way even if someone finds it, they still need the combination to open it, and unlike a magnet it won't fall off after a good bounce. I love the idea of a proximity key for a street-only car, but if I'm going out into the wilderness I don't want anything like it anywhere near my truck

ATLTiger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Black Jeep Gladiator Rubicon LE
I agree with the proximity but also highly recommend replacing the fob with a smaller one. My first upgrade to the Gladiator.

7EB01822-4C01-4587-8BBF-5714CBA5D036.jpeg
Is the AJT fob that much smaller than OEM? The picture on amazon shows them about the same size and the only benefit is the switch blade key won't constantly pop out.

upload_2019-8-12_14-19-30.png

MirMir

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee Altitude
First thing I added when ordering my Jeep. It is a must have since I always have my lil one in my arms and it makes its easy to unlock/lock the doors without having to put her down. Got spoiled with my GC with that option.

JT4me

First Name
ned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
WW.paddleboardorlando.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon soft top auto, 07 Sequoia, 02 F150
Occupation
small business owner
I was torn to get it or not, but I did opt for remote start. Hot summer in florida, I use that a lot more than I thought to get the ac cranking; it would be even better if I didn't have to unlock the door everytime. but like jsyn said, I like to stash my key on my jeep and that wont work with the proximity. I tried to order the steel bumper but it wasn't available .

Sponsored

Bobzdar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 1989 grand wagoneer
Will the proximity lock still work with a normal key, or does it only come with a proximity sensor?

A lot of us who go off road somewhere tend to leave our keys hidden somewhere on the truck so we don't lose them and so they don't get wet while we're off mountain biking/running/hiking/camping/etc. Proximity Keys destroy all that, because no matter where you hide the key under the car, the doors won't lock because the key is still too close. I buy those combination Master Locks that are made to fit on a home's front door that realtors like to use, then lock it under my truck with a spare key in it. That way even if someone finds it, they still need the combination to open it, and unlike a magnet it won't fall off after a good bounce. I love the idea of a proximity key for a street-only car, but if I'm going out into the wilderness I don't want anything like it anywhere near my truck
I think you're solving the wrong problem - get a waterproof pouch for your key and take it with you. Bonus is, since it's proximity, you don't have to take it out of the pouch or off your body when you get back to the car.

You can also get rf blocking boxes for your car if you have to leave it at the car...

That said, I have to take the key out of my pocket to engage the remote start anyway (unless I use my phone), so it doesn't save a whole lot. Ironically, it's more useful without remote start.

Metrius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 HellaYella JLU Rubicon
I didn't add it to my JL, because I have a soft top on most of the year, and it is pointless to lock the doors with a soft top. Not sure if I will order it when I buy a JT, as I might keep the hardtop on more.

relapsekg

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon; 2012 VW GTI ; 1999 S10 ZR2
Occupation
IT
I love the proximity key, I put the key in my laptop bag on my way to work, and don't have to touch it again.

beelzebot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2009 Mini Cooper S Convertible

Look for a Faraday bag on Amazon or wherever. I think I paid around $20 for one made in the USA by Mission Darkness. Gets used a lot and works perfectly.

Hemi

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Rubicon JK, 2020 Gladiator
i am very happy with my truck. However, my advice to anyone ordering, GET THE PROXIMITY KEY. That damn key fob is so big. I had the proximity on my last car and really miss it. I really thought I ordered it but sadly no. It’s kinda of ridiculous with push button start it’s not standard.
I thought the $500 was pricey, but now that I have my truck I wish I had it. It would be well worth the money to do away with the annoyance of unlocking and locking with the fob
Sponsored