The Philistine thread - non-lifted Gladiators and not likely to be, either

BDK

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Recalibrate even for that small of a tire change and it will adjust your shift points and your mileage will come back at least that was my experience when I moved to 285/70/17 generals , it was only an inch recalibration but it went back to handling 8th gear just like stock
I didn't check my mileage really before switching, but I too also took my standard overland wheels and tires off and put on JTR takeoffs. I currently get 17 MPG. You think that a re calibration is needed and would improve mileage?

Dumb question...what actually is the re-calibration activity? Is it something a dealer does?

Thanks
Sponsored

mtpilatus

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sting Gray Gladiator Rubicon
$200 for the rubi take offs. Got JKS disconnects. Adding a Terraflex spacer to the front to negate the tiny bit of rubbing I get while flexed. Running a 33 mud tire. I'll take my Philistine comments.

tempImageSY7IOL.png
Awesome. Used to watch Rat Patrol all the time.

Br4hm4

First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT OE, 2016 Polaris Slingshot, 2012 Kia Sportage, 2018 Nissan LEAF
Occupation
Linux Engineer
Recalibrate even for that small of a tire change and it will adjust your shift points and your mileage will come back at least that was my experience when I moved to 285/70/17 generals , it was only an inch recalibration but it went back to handling 8th gear just like stock
The numbers I spouted off were after using my Tazer to recalibrate. I didn't notice any real difference before and after calibrating. I just think that running 3.73s and adding 100 lbs of rotational mass really doesn't do any favors for the overland.

DocMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S, 2001 Audi TT Roadster, 1930 Model A Hot Rod, 1973 VW Square Back
Occupation
Education
I have not done the spacer yet. Tomorrow. My steering wheel was a bit off from the new box. So it's good now.

With the Rubi spring and Teraflex (1 or 1.5)spacer did you have to do any geometry correction to the front suspension, this is the rout I am now going

Sponsored

DocMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S, 2001 Audi TT Roadster, 1930 Model A Hot Rod, 1973 VW Square Back
Occupation
Education
Same, plus altitude for us. I get better shifting after the taser.

The numbers I spouted off were after using my Tazer to recalibrate. I didn't notice any real difference before and after calibrating. I just think that running 3.73s and adding 100 lbs of rotational mass really doesn't do any favors for the overland.

jcarbs

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator, 2021 Tahoe
Front end level and will never go any higher. Now that supercharger idea mentioned above is on my to do list :)
20210303_134325.jpg
My son-in-law recommended those wheels to me, said that retro look would look awesome. Now seeing them on your JT, I have to agree. Looks really good.

Punknhead

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Rubicon shocks and front springs, and a 3/4 inch front spacer are all that I will do to lift my MaxTow. Basically just leveled it. I run Rubicon takeoff wheels/tires everyday but switch to these 37’s on stock wheels for light trails.
A29CE2E9-C4BF-48D5-A615-40FB1779467F.jpeg

Lucky1

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 gladiator max tow - 2011 honda odyssey
Jeep Gladiator The Philistine thread - non-lifted Gladiators and not likely to be, either 20210512_104718

Installed Rubicon shocks in back left the max tow springs. Rubicon shocks, springs and 1.5" teraflex level up front and i am about 1/4" rake from what i can tell. Steering wheel is off center to the right slightly. Took about 2 hours to accomplish the front end.

Fast Eddie

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator 2021/Toyota 4 Runner 2013
Occupation
Small Business Owner
I did 27 years in the Navy so freedom could be the foundation of all decisions to be made. If you want to keep the stock tires, then by God, let it be. You are still a Jeep owner and I will give you the wave. I went with 35 and a 2 inch lift and have found them to look cool/great/tough but a bit of a drag at times forcing a downshift with a standard tranny at highway speeds and going up hills. It is a give and take. When those wear out will drop to 33 and perhaps address the above mentioned issue which is not a deal breaker but I would rather not deal with.
Be safe out there. Cheers fm fm Williamsburg, VA.

Sponsored

DocMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Education
I was soo close to going retro with mine. White steelies and white letter tires..

My son-in-law recommended those wheels to me, said that retro look would look awesome. Now seeing them on your JT, I have to agree. Looks really good.

twbranch

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Metrologist
Jeep Gladiator The Philistine thread - non-lifted Gladiators and not likely to be, either 20210512_104718

Installed Rubicon shocks in back left the max tow springs. Rubicon shocks, springs and 1.5" teraflex level up front and i am about 1/4" rake from what i can tell. Steering wheel is off center to the right slightly. Took about 2 hours to accomplish the front end.
When you have a load or towing something like a camper (if you do any of that stuff) does it pull the rear end down any? I want to level my Gladiator but I am afraid towing my camper will pull the rear end down too far and look like those fools with the carolina squat.

Punknhead

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
When you have a load or towing something like a camper (if you do any of that stuff) does it pull the rear end down any? I want to level my Gladiator but I am afraid towing my camper will pull the rear end down too far and look like those fools with the carolina squat.
I pull a 5500 lb camper and the sag is not bad—and zero with a weight distributing hitch.

Lucky1

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 gladiator max tow - 2011 honda odyssey
I can't answer that for you. I currently have nothing to tow. I would assume it would some, but as punknhead said with the distribution hitch it should stay level.

mep4wd

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Software Consultant, Retired
It's all about how you plan to use your Jeep. Best to carefully sort all that out BEFORE you make your final model selection. I think it's fair to say that the vast majority of Rubicon models never get close to being driven in places that they are designed to handle. Most Jeep owners would be shocked to see where you can take a dead stock Jeep, if you are a reasonably skilled driver with a good spotter.
Sponsored