Reaction score
Website
www.trailrax.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
What’s a typical install plus parts cost for the the 4.88s?

Well since we are not a shop that does installs and all that I cannot give you a quote from ourselves. I highly recommend a professional to do this install. We are currently located in the SOCAL area and our best known offroad shop near us is Rebel Off Road. We plan to be using them for the install on our Gladiator. They charge a flat $1599 plus tax service. That is gears and all plus a 500 mile check up and oil change on the gears.

In my past experience as long as you are looking at about $1500-2000 for front and rear gears, that should be expected. It is quite labor some and to get it just right requires taking the whole assembly in and out of the axle many times.
Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I paid $2100 complete with new fluid at my Jeep dealership where I bought it. That was with the Mopar 488 gears.
If my local Jeep dealership will do it for that price, with the Mopar 4.88's and it still be under warranty (because of factory parts, and dealership install), then I might go that route.

d k

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
what rpms are you at 70mph? Are you in 8th?

I'm getting around 18 mixed with 35s on stock max tow 4.10 gears. I understand everyone wants to feel good about the gear change but 4.10 to 4.88 is not a very big jump. If you have 3.73 then yes a bigger change. I would go 5.13 or 5.38 without hesitation if you have a larger than 35" tire.

eckerya

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
I paid $2100 complete with new fluid at my Jeep dealership where I bought it. That was with the Mopar 488 gears.
Since they are Mopar 4.88s does it keep warranty intact then?

wvyankee2

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT Rubicon
Occupation
Refinery Operator
Vehicle Showcase
Yes according to the dealership. 2 weeks after took it back for a leaking pinion seal change. No charge.

Sponsored

TrailRax

First Name
TrailRax
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.trailrax.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
@TrailRax before you commit, try RWK in Yorba Linda. All they do is gear installs.
I got a previous Jeep done for 900otd with no issues.

we actually ran out of time on getting out JT all ready before we move to Utah. Looks like we will have a shop in Utah be taking care of the regear. They are way cheaper in Utah.

Mallai

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S 2019 KTM 1290 R 2018 KTM 300 XC-W
I did 4.88’s and it’s the only way to go
What are you towing there? Can I tow an Airstream Basecamp 20 (4500 lb) with my 8 speed and 3.87 gears?

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR
Occupation
Retired
It is Mopar warranty not Jeep. I think I've read from some JL posters dealers other than original dealer do not have to do warranty work on Mopar but you might want to get it in writing from dealer.

Jlosso

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep gladiator overland
Occupation
Finance
Well since we are not a shop that does installs and all that I cannot give you a quote from ourselves. I highly recommend a professional to do this install. We are currently located in the SOCAL area and our best known offroad shop near us is Rebel Off Road. We plan to be using them for the install on our Gladiator. They charge a flat $1599 plus tax service. That is gears and all plus a 500 mile check up and oil change on the gears.

In my past experience as long as you are looking at about $1500-2000 for front and rear gears, that should be expected. It is quite labor some and to get it just right requires taking the whole assembly in and out of the axle many times.
Hey bud where is SoCal is the shop located?? Can you send me the contact info please.
Thanks

Sponsored

RidinDirty

First Name
DJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
So, the debate, at least for me, is settled

I watched all the videos. Scrubbed all the forums. Checked all the pricing too.

Like a lot of us, My JTR rides on 37 mud terrains on a mopar lift. For everyone who says the 4.10s are fine with this kind of set up, you are right. You can get down the road just fine, no surging, reasonable power. Its also true that doing so comes with a lot of gear hunting on the highway. But its seriously not an issue, you’ll just spDend a lot of time in 6th going down the road.

But, as decent as the 4.10s are with allowing you to get down the road, the 4.88’s are a game changer, and its not even close.

Elite Offroad here in Birmingham did a great job dropping in some Dana Spicer 4.88 gears and master install kit on my JTR this week. We used a Superchips Flashcal to dial it in. This thing will never be a hellcat in terms of pep but it moved itself with way more ease with the new rings. Very peppy, and more importantly, super smooth at part throttle. The jeep also uses all its gears and settles in to 8th without bogging. It shows off the strengths of this 8 speed well, up hill downshifts arehandled crisply and the engine never lags or bogs.

All of us have different driving styles. But for me, on the highway running 70 on flat ground i could achieve 20mpg running 2100 rpms. Pic below confirms what I saw.

We’ll put it on a trail after the break in period but I am expecting greater control off road and also less need for 4 lo on average trails here in the southeast. Hope these notes help any who are trying to make a decision. Zero regrets here, its really a no brainer and highly recommend.

D6500408-81E6-477F-B1BC-216A43660D87.jpeg
Thanks for the info. I'm considering going straight to 37 and was kinda wondering about gearing with the new 8 speed. I'd rather pay the extra and get it done right the first time.

Geekjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator sport s
I would triple check price. parts alone are almost 1100 and most places charge 400 an axle. then you have fluids, etc. Ive never seen a place under 2000 for a gladiator since the parts are so pricey. Mine were a lot more but shop time is expensive in south FL

camodog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I need the 4.88s here in the rockys. 37’s and the weight/drag of my camper are taking a toll. Now if I just had the extra cash...

wvyankee2

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT Rubicon
Occupation
Refinery Operator
Vehicle Showcase
I need the 4.88s here in the rockys. 37’s and the weight/drag of my camper are taking a toll. Now if I just had the extra cash...
I have 4.88's and 35's pulling a camper in WV. If I had 37's and were pulling a camper in the Rockies. I'd go 5.13's. Just my 2cents.

Bbannongmu

First Name
JTR.Spartacus
Threads
Reaction score
Website
m.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Certified Emergency Manager
Vehicle Showcase
I'm getting around 18 mixed with 35s on stock max tow 4.10 gears. I understand everyone wants to feel good about the gear change but 4.10 to 4.88 is not a very big jump. If you have 3.73 then yes a bigger change. I would go 5.13 or 5.38 without hesitation if you have a larger than 35" tire.
4.10 to 4.88 is a ~ 19% reduction in gearing. that seems pretty significant to me but no reason 4.10 won’t work reasonably well with 35s absent terrain/altitude issues. Yes it is a bigger ~31% reduction from 3.73 to 4.88.
Sponsored