Things I don’t like about my new Gladiator

WildJD

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Santa Fe National Forest, Jemez Mountains, NM
Vehicle(s)
2020 GCM Gladiator JT Launch Edition, 2006 Wrangler TJ 4x4 4.0 Liter Straight 6 Golden Eagle, 2018 Cherokee 4x4 3.2 Liter V6 Latitude
Occupation
Mountain Wilderness Rancher/Horse Guide
Good stuff so far. I have to finish all the other posts, but

• With the op, I agree with everything, I was hoping there was a way to cut down on the constant correction needed when on the highway. Based on your comment I had no idea it was the same or worse than the jk.
  • Besides power rear glass, if you have the radio up, it rattles when open. Bugs the crap out of me and no I won’t turn it down :)
  • All four auto down and up windows would be nice.
To the op, I have not had any problems with the radio or sat cutting in out or rebooting. Also, the stock antenna not be sexy but it works really well, better then the stubby I got. With the stubby the FM stations that I could get before are now in and out.

And this is being really picky, I really love the truck except the highway drivability. I’m making more corrections than I do driving a motor home. That is my major gripe.
Sub woofer is booming right under little window... guess if it’s rattling it’s a testimonial to the bass power! Stuff a small piece rubber or foam (eraser, foam packing peanut, anything you can find) into window track... should solve rattle! ;{
Sponsored

RIPLER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2020 JLU, 2015 Jeep Renegade
My 15 min run to Autozone Saturday morning took over an hour, I'm going to start taking my wife's vehicle when I want to get home quickly. An old timer in a older Jeep pulled up, not sure what year I only saw the top, and wanted check out the Gladiator. Then a younger guy came over and started to BS, he was checking out everything, suspension, tires, shocks, hell he even had me pop the hood.

thefriar

First Name
R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Launch edition JT
Here's my growing list so far:
- Press up to go down in the menu, down to go up? Push up to downshift, pull down to upshift? What moron at FCA programmed this stuff?
Think about how a stick shift works? 1>2>1.... Down then back up....

Also, think about braking and shifting as you brake momentum comes forward and as you accelerate you get pushed back. I gather this is why the manual gates are the way they are. Or so the folks at HPDE days for track cars say...

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Think about how a stick shift works? 1>2>1.... Down then back up....

Also, think about braking and shifting as you brake momentum comes forward and as you accelerate you get pushed back. I gather this is why the manual gates are the way they are. Or so the folks at HPDE days for track cars say...
Right, but 2>3 isn't down. 4>5 isn't down either.

And I understand they do that in race cars because of the G-forces, but this isn't a race car. A consumer vehicle should be user friendly. This isn't intuitive OR user friendly.

Sponsored

RSK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator , 2016 Wrangler JK, 2015 Renegade
Occupation
Senior Director of Engineering & Facilities
I worked my tire PSI down from 44 (new from the dealer) to 35 cold to 37 PSI after they warm up. Much better IMO. My wife drives a JK and said she could tell the difference in steering too on the JT. I drove her JK for comparison and agree, the JT is still more flighty or drifts. She runs Nitto 33’s (35 PSI) and a 3.5” lift and said her JK actually drove better after the lift and larger tires were added.

As for the JT, after going down to 35 PSI I don’t find myself compensating nearly as much and can keep one hand comfortably on the wheel while on the highway or around town compared to both hands before the PSI change.

Maybe the fix is that we all need a lift kit!

Tropical36

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JKU, Ford F150
I haven't even seen one, as yet and already have a complaint. It's comes in the form of extreme sticker shock, but since I don't buy new, anyway, maybe I can get one from Enterprise sales, in a couple of years.
They have some nice low mileage, two year old JK's for sale now, so..............

Fcmalie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2021 Mojave
Build Thread
Link
Right, but 2>3 isn't down. 4>5 isn't down either.

And I understand they do that in race cars because of the G-forces, but this isn't a race car. A consumer vehicle should be user friendly. This isn't intuitive OR user friendly.
For you it isn't, for probably more than 50% of users the back to upshift has been the norm for majority of vehicles. It comes down to it's awkward for whichever one prefers the other way, and FCA is counting on you to be in the minority.

Adawg1203

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator LE
First time Jeep owner and took delivery of my Red LE this weekend. Here is my opinion of the gladiator from my 48 hour ownership. It's not comprehensive due to limited time with it.

1. Steering - ok I was afraid of this based on things I read. I test drove the JLUR last year and the first thing I noticed was its loose steering. I did not like it. The gladiator seems to be much better. However, on my highway drive home I did notice it likes to 'wander' full disclosure it was windy. But the steering corrections needed, to me, were definitely more than what I'm use to. I'm coming from an Audi which are excellent handling vehicles. Overall I dont have any gripes with the steering.

2. Height - The JTR is tall. I have to stretch before getting in because I have to lift my leg much much higher to avoid hitting my shin on the sill LOL. But nice road vision and presence. So not a gripe but coming from a low slung vehicle it's an adjustment.

3. Engine - this was another concern for me based on again, things I read. I feel the power is more than adequate. It's no turbo 4 Audi engine but then again it's a completely different vehicle. I was able to accelerate to 70 merging into highway traffic and felt comfortable and didn't feel I needed to dig deep into the engines power. I'm babying the engine as I'm still in 'break-in' mode so I assume things will only get better. Ok that whole engine start/stop thing can be annoying when in bumper to bumper traffic. Yes you can override. When at stop signs or traffic lights it isn't as annoying. I'll reserve judgment on engine smoothness since it's not broken in. Gearing seems fine but I need more time behind the wheel.

3. Interior - I find the inside fit and finish to be very well done. The screen is top notch. The clarity is easy on the eyes. Ok I have to get use to the window switch placement and it's kind of annoying that there isn't an auto 'up' feature. Seat adjustments although not powered (bummer) are easy and have a good amount of adjustments for comfortability. Also, cabin is quiet not sure if it's because of the headliners. Also there are no rattling components when hitting bumps.

Overall - I think jeep hit a homerun with the gladiator. The Rubicon is stiff but well behaved during normal driving. I see no issues with it being a daily driver for people. I didn't touch much on the electronics aka touch screen and all you can do through it. Spend an hour or some amount of time learning the ins and outs if you aren't already familiar with uconnect. Until the Gladiator becomes more popular early adopters should expect to get a lot of attention. I'm a low key individual so this does make me a bit uncomfortable.

Anyone on the fence about purchasing this truck rest assured you wont be disappointed.

As time goes by I'll update what I dont like but aside from a couple 'annoyances' there isn't much for me to report at this time. I dont tow anything so I'll have to leave that critique for others who do.

futzin'

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JTR, '15 Durango Citadel, '06 Suburban 2500 8L
Excellent post...Thank you

Sponsored

jbdean5342

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CJ-7
Here's a few of my thoughts...keep in mind, I'm a first-time Jeep owner so a few of these things were just unknown/unexpected. NONE of these items are a big deal, but I had been writing down a list of quirks that I expected to share on a thread popping up like this!
  • No power seats (I know, I know ;)) >>> I understand why, I just assumed they were available but having never really been in a Jeep before, I didn't know they weren't standard! I actually like that they're manual now that I've had a chance to get comfortable in it.
  • Satellite connectivity issues >>> I've had XM/Sirius radio in 3 vehicles now and for whatever reason, if I'm driving in an area of trees/foliage/hills, the stations cut out (I'm guessing it's due to there not being a 'sharkfin' style antenna that both of my other vehicles had). My other cars had coverage 99.9% of the time on all of these same roads I'm experiencing these new cut-outs and I'd say I have a few quick disruptions every time I drive to/from work (which is a 12-minute commute) to the point where I've said "WTF is going on with this connection?"
  • ESS is annoying >>> I attempt to make the ESS disable button the second button I push right after "Push to Start" - If I had the option, I'd purchase some aftermarket system that bypasses this button because it's definitely not something I've ever wanted/asked for.
  • The antenna seems like a very cheap afterthought
I just saw a module advertised that makes the ESS stay off after tuning engine off/on. I don't remember where I saw it, but it's out there..google it. It plugs in under the dash and doesn't affect any other function.

2004blackwrx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 wrx, 2005 xterra, 2014 durango, formerly 1998 wrangler
I only did a quick test drive and like it. I wish it had more power but then again its not a sports car. I own a 2014 durango and power is pretty good. Ialso never had issue with the touch screen so I imagine those would be close to same as jeep. I got jeep to 70 on highway. It seemed fine but was only a mile. I hope the truck drives ok or at least safely at these speeds.i like to commute at 70 or 80. My horrible xterra does it this better

Kredit

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 rubicon. 2018 track hawk 2015 f150 King ranch
I WISH it had AC seats. I got the heated for here when the Florida winter (40 degrees) comes with 0% chance of rain. I’ll be top and doors off all day.. but in the summer (or anytime other than winter) when I want the top off I’ll have no choice to BLAST that AC so I don’t flood my interior with seat. Haha.
Yes out in Arizona we think a/c seats are way better than heated seats sucks it’s not an option

fmusignac

First Name
Francis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, 2019 Slingshot SLR
1) No trailer hitch cover included, but we bought a new cherokee ~42k mspr recently and that did have it!
2) Antenna is not up to par with all the care for detail they put into everything.
3) Cannot lock oem bed cover!? That alone will make me have to get a different one.
4) I would have liked rain sensing windshield wipers.
5) Front camera should be standard

Everything else seems to be better than I expected. I thought this was going to be awesome but day one surpassed those expectations!