Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
LeVar Burton wouldn't be happy with a few people, and my teachers would be rolling over in their graves. 😁

Isn't anyone really curious? No one breaks out a book? No wonder libraries are closing.
Sorry, I just HAD to get that stuff in there!
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Hiding in plain sight. Push this button when hooked to a trailer to turn off the annoying back up alarm. You’re welcome
CBF72824-B7E7-4F65-B1E7-023B620B4FAC.jpeg
I had to laugh - at myself - because I knew about it but every time I have something hanging out the back of the truck or a trailer on back I curse that damned noise.
You just made me laugh at myself. It's that - oh, xxxx moment where you realize the solution was but a button push away. You knew it, but when needed, you didn't.

Casique

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 HA Gladiator, 2011 FLHX, 2022 MDX
The reality is that most buyers usually know more than the salesperson that sold you the Jeep. My salesperson told me that my JT had cooled seats! I knew better.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
The reality is that most buyers usually know more than the salesperson that sold you the Jeep. My salesperson told me that my JT had cooled seats! I knew better.
Yes, a sad reality for sure. The guy at a nearby dealership contacted me again last week and said that because I wanted so many options it would take longer for them to build it.
I thought - really? That hasn't been the case for longer than I've been alive, not even in 1950, and especially now. Hasn't any sales person been through an auto maker plant? Have they not seen how the dashes are installed, fully assembled, from the side of the vehicle, all one piece? Doors are built with your options already on them, just waiting to drop into the body half of the hinge.

azmojave

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sarge Green Mojave
Occupation
Retired Trucker. Current Sawyer
I had to laugh - at myself - because I knew about it but every time I have something hanging out the back of the truck or a trailer on back I curse that damned noise.
You just made me laugh at myself. It's that - oh, xxxx moment where you realize the solution was but a button push away. You knew it, but when needed, you didn't.
When I took my trailer out the first time I was pulling my hair out. After being annoyed with it all day, and not having a signal to use the google machine, I broke down and pulled out the manual. It was getting dark around the campfire, so I couldn’t find what I was looking for and then one of my buddies sat down and asked what I was doing. He tells me there’s a button on the dash. Of course there is, duh! :headbang:

Sponsored

OP
OP
Garemlin

Garemlin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Nacho Willys Gladiator
So true. I've had a few sales guys tell me I know more about the vehicle than they do.

I remember doing a short stint in car sales back in the late 80s. I spent so much time researching and learning about the vehicles I sold. Of course this was way before people had the ability to research a vehicle on the internet and know everything about it before stepping into a dealer. Customers relied on your to know and show. That's what sold vehicles.

OHJeeper

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTR, '08 JKUX, '08 JKUS
Or drive in reverse faster than 5 MPH... parksense complains you're going too fast and shuts off. Happens to me every time I back down my driveway.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Or drive in reverse faster than 5 MPH... parksense complains you're going too fast and shuts off. Happens to me every time I back down my driveway.
Yes, and with a driveway over 120 feet long that is down-hill toward the garage, and my wife and I both back our Jeeps down into the garage - we get that almost daily. I'd forgotten about that tidbit.

Rahkmalla

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Gobi Manual Mojave
Build Thread
Link
That's piss-poor business
I agree with everything you've said. But I've worked with a lot of car salesmen of all age and experience levels. From new guy in the business on his 5th dealership in under 2 years to 35 years selling Fords at one dealership. Product knowledge is uniformly piss poor. The guys who took their time to learn the product are few and far between.

When I started selling Fords I told my sales manager I needed to drive one of every model and sit in and play with one of every trim we currently had on the lot for each model. This was a guy in his late 50s who started as a lot guy at 16 and became a salesmen at 18 and a moved up from there. He said "I've never met a salesperson who was so interested in wasting time getting to know the cars. Salesmen sell people, the cars sell themselves."

I'll never forget that turd of a boss. But he did hold the prevailing mindset, which is sad.

Sponsored

MisterPhoton

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Code Monkey
LeVar Burton wouldn't be happy with a few people, and my teachers would be rolling over in their graves. 😁

Isn't anyone really curious? No one breaks out a book? No wonder libraries are closing.
Sorry, I just HAD to get that stuff in there!
I guess I'm just a weirdo, because the day I ordered my Gladiator I downloaded the PDF manual and read through the whole thing.

And it still hasn't been built yet :LOL:

ZoMojave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTM (sold) '23 WL74
I agree with everything you've said. But I've worked with a lot of car salesmen of all age and experience levels. From new guy in the business on his 5th dealership in under 2 years to 35 years selling Fords at one dealership. Product knowledge is uniformly piss poor. The guys who took their time to learn the product are few and far between.

When I started selling Fords I told my sales manager I needed to drive one of every model and sit in and play with one of every trim we currently had on the lot for each model. This was a guy in his late 50s who started as a lot guy at 16 and became a salesmen at 18 and a moved up from there. He said "I've never met a salesperson who was so interested in wasting time getting to know the cars. Salesmen sell people, the cars sell themselves."

I'll never forget that turd of a boss. But he did hold the prevailing mindset, which is sad.
As a technician for a couple of GM dealerships for 30 years, I worked with some very interesting people. Including some sales personnel that were really pieces of work (and that is putting it nicely). Seemed that some were just there to draw their base and smoke cigarettes. They cared nothing about earning business let alone educating themselves on products that they were hired to sell.

Then on the other hand, we had the consummate sales professionals that took great pride in the day to day operations and completely shattered the stereotype of the typical "car salesman".

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I guess I'm just a weirdo, because the day I ordered my Gladiator I downloaded the PDF manual and read through the whole thing.

And it still hasn't been built yet :LOL:
When there's a question of "what's this thing", I pretty much know where it is in the "book".
Mine came with a hard copy I keep in the truck, but the PDF one is on my Google Drive so I can get to it from anywhere.
But then I spend a lot of my time while relaxing doing reading - tech manuals, TSBs, etc.
I rarely "sit down and read a good book" like a novel or whatever and I've often been asked when was the last time I read a book and what was it........... likely the title would be something like "Automotive transmission circuits and diagnosis" or maybe "1982 AMC Technical Service Manual".
But I do go cover to cover on each edition of Woodsmith magazine - great tips and projects in there.
Other books are typically something by Azimov, and I've read "Can You Tell What it is Yet", "I, Me, Mine", that sort of thing.

Dryfly24

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2016 Indian Springfield
Occupation
Retired and loving it
So true. I've had a few sales guys tell me I know more about the vehicle than they do.

I remember doing a short stint in car sales back in the late 80s. I spent so much time researching and learning about the vehicles I sold. Of course this was way before people had the ability to research a vehicle on the internet and know everything about it before stepping into a dealer. Customers relied on your to know and show. That's what sold vehicles.
I literally knew more than every single one I talked to and I talked to a lot of dealers before pulling the trigger. That’s not saying I know so much, it’s saying they know so little…
Sponsored