Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
It's Friday and I've got a terrible idea floating around in my head, would like to know y'alls thoughts. Short version below.

To long; Didn't Read:
Return to stock built up Sport and trade for Rubicon.
OR
Swap Sport axles for UD44/Currie axles. (Or build up Sport axles)
OR
Don't be an idiot and keep the Jeep as it sits.

Title says it all. I'm coming up on about 1.5 years with my Sport. While I love my truck, I'm kind of feeling the itch to upgrade to a better set up. I keep eyeing the Rubicon's like the dude from the distracted boyfriend meme 😅 .

Jeep Gladiator Thinking of trading my Sport for a Rubicon 1668819107965

The full story.

When I first bought my Jeep, I figured that I would be happy with the Sport as my initial plans were more suited for some mild fire roads/over-landing type of off-roading, with my Jeep being my daily driver. I got VERY lucky with my initial purchase as I found a nicely equipped Sport (basically a overland without leather) with everything that I wanted done (at the time). Paid about 2k less (42k after TTL) than other similarly equipped trucks, and it came with a winch, steel bumper, side steps, 2.5 inch lift and 35 inch tires as a bonus.

Jeep Gladiator Thinking of trading my Sport for a Rubicon 64727197322__7EE62B02-2C4E-4F22-837B-034A81EC1D8B

This is my first truck that has had 4 wheel drive, so I finally got to do some proper 4 wheeling with some of my local 4x4 clubs.

And the Jeep bug bit me HARD.

This is some of the most fun I've had with a vehicle in my life, I'm always looking around for 4x4 events that I can go to, I get to enjoy some of the most beautiful scenery, and I get to hang out with some awesome people. It's been a blast. I also got to enjoy my other favorite past time, wrenching, especially with how deep the aftermarket is.

This is where I messed up, I didn't think I would go as crazy with the MOD's as I did. This is how my truck sits only a year and a half later after several trail rides. I never expected to build it up to this point, but I didn't think I would get as deep into this hobby as I did. (I'm on 37's now btw). With the exception of the motor, trans, and some body panels, I've basically touched every bolt on this thing.

Jeep Gladiator Thinking of trading my Sport for a Rubicon IMG_5409.JPG

Now I'm at the point where I want lockers. I haven't NEEDED lockers, but after hanging out with the Rubicon crowd, I'm getting a little bit of Jeep envy. And I would feel more confident in tackling some of the tougher obstacle's that I've decided to bypass before. I would also be getting the 4:1 transfer case and stronger axles. There would be other benefits that I would like to get out of it, like the nicer interior bits, leather seats, 8.4 radio upgrade, and other things the Rubi's get. Something like this.

Jeep Gladiator Thinking of trading my Sport for a Rubicon 1668816496732

It would take me about 2-3 weekends to return to stock, and then I could take my time swapping my parts onto the Rubicon once I trade in my truck.

The good:
  • My truck is PAID OFF. (Music to my ears).
  • It's built. I haven't needed lockers yet, they would have made some things easier, but they're a want.
  • I have most of my stock parts (I would have to source a plastic front bumper)
  • I did most of the labor myself, minus gears ($900). Minimal losses money wise, the time isn't a big deal as I enjoy wrenching. Power tools definitely helped.
  • I can (mostly) return to stock. The Tazer would have to go with the truck because of the re-gear (4.88). I have access to a cheap set of sport wheels with 35's if it dosen't drive right on a set of 33's that I have sitting in the shed that I would be willing to part with.
The Bad:
  • I would be selling my first Jeep. I feel guilty, it's such a nice truck! And it will always hold a special place in my heart because it was my first Jeep. (This is the biggest hold up).
  • I would have a loan again, about 15k. KBB says the truck is worth 35k, although I see these trucks listed for 46k by dealers all day. But trying to sell private party for 40 would be a major PITA. I've found a few Rubicons that I like for around 46k (would be a small road trip) with the same millage I have, so ~50 after TTL.
  • Rates suck now, best I've gotten is 4.6 %. I could just pay it off early like the last truck, but the point still stands. I usually finance for 6 years, but I try to pay them off around the 2 year mark.
  • I have to put the truck back together again, lots of hours, although I don't mind it. But those are still weekend I would have to spend wrenching instead of doing other things.
  • I'm SOL with some parts and would have to buy them again or sell them. I wouldn't have a use for my APEX links, and MAYBE my front and rear bumpers if the new truck has the steel front (I would keep it, fits better in the garage) so they would get sold. I would have to re-purchase my gears ($2000, although now I could go to 5.13's), a new programmer, and re-do the bed liner (can't exactly take it off).
  • Trading a truck that has (so far) been rock solid, for another that I have no history with. A minor concern, but still a possibility that I could get a lemon.
  • Not the best financial decision trading in a perfectly good truck for the same one with better options, although if we all wanted a financially responsible pick-up truck(?), we would all have stock Honda Ridgelines. Or a Prius.
The alternative:
  • Keep my Sport, which I still love, have no truck payment, wheel it, maybe break it, and just swap for a UD44 or Curie axle with lockers when the day comes. From what I've seen, these axles run around the 10k mark, but they're stronger that the Rubicon. Or Rubicon take off axles if I see a good deal. Dropping 10k for axles is a big ouch! vs a 3 year finance of 15k for a whole new truck that comes with more stuff.
  • Just build the Sport axles, they're worth upgrading? (I'm not sure about this part).
  • Or just leave the truck alone, lockers are over rated and you don't need them. (I'm open minded)
What are y'alls thoughts? I'm feeling a bit crazy and may need some sense beaten into my skull.

Update: 11/26/2022

Just wanted to say thanks to the great advice you all have given me throughout this whole thread, it's been eye opening to say the least! I never expected this thread to get as active as it did! I've decided to hold onto the truck for about 2 more years until the inventory gets better and interest rates cool off a bit (and see if we're getting a mid cycle refresh too). When I get to that milestone, I'll start looking at the Rubicons if Stelly decides to give them a few more upgrades.

Gonna wheel the truck as much as I can in the meantime, and enjoy what I've put into it.

Cheers!
Sponsored

Last edited:

Camaroboi13

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
87 XJ Pioneer, 17 WK2 3.6, 18 JLU 3.6, 22 JTOD 3.0
Occupation
LEO - Life in Chino
Guys have been doing difficult trails long before lockers were even a thing. Enjoy your ride.

OP
OP
Zero_Accel

Zero_Accel

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Guys have been doing difficult trails long before lockers were even a thing. Enjoy your ride.
That's where I've been at for the most part regarding the lockers, I've been going on trails and for the most part haven't had too many points where I needed the lockers.

The only real problem I've had is at a few event's (Chile Challenge in NM this year being one of them), the trail leaders gave my truck a lower rating and wouldn't let me hit some of the higher rated stuff.

Even with the lift, disconnects, and 37's, I was getting rated at a 5 and wouldn't be let onto the 6 or 7 rated trails I wanted to try out. Because the event organizers required lockers for those.

I thought they were being a bit too cautious/strict.

Camaroboi13

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
87 XJ Pioneer, 17 WK2 3.6, 18 JLU 3.6, 22 JTOD 3.0
Occupation
LEO - Life in Chino
Sounds like an event I wouldn’t be interested in.
I suppose where you live makes a huge difference, here in Southern California there’s a trail around every corner so I can pick and choose what trails I’d like to take without someone picking them for me.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Zero_Accel

Zero_Accel

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Sounds like an event I wouldn’t be interested in.
I suppose where you live makes a huge difference, here in Southern California there’s a trail around every corner so I can pick and choose what trails I’d like to take without someone picking them for me.
I feel ya, I like the events because you can meet some really nice people on the trail, there's a larger group so it's usually safer, and I can try some new trails that I may not have known about.

The no lockers = no go restriction took some of the air out of my sails last time. Especially when I had done the very same trails earlier in the year with family members, and had no problems.

Shopshirt

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Gladiator
IMHO...If your truck is paid for and you want that stuff do lockers, leather, and a radio. You'd you'd spend a lot less than $15k doing those upgrades to your awesomely modded truck. $15k in loan debt is a lot more over the life of the loan for a different hood, radio, leather, and a stickers.

Katzkins: $1500 installed
Factory Rubi lockers and Harness (parts only) I think is around $2000
Radio should be a simple upgrade.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Zero_Accel

Zero_Accel

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Wheel till you get tow truck stuck. Then add elockers for a lot lot less than 15k. You have an investment beyond money and 10 years from now you will be upset you sold your first jeep. You wont miss it if you dont sell it
That's the biggest thing, I do love this truck, and I would feel guilty about parting with it, especially with all the memories I've made and work put in. And it hasn't even been 2 years!

I'm just leaning towards the axle upgrade since I can also get stronger knuckles and thicker tubes that should hold up to 37's a bit better, kind of feel like I'm pushing my luck on the Sport axles, don't want to break out in the middle of nowhere if I can help it.

Last edited:

bleda2002

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Firecracker Red
Get dstrac or fusion axles. Don't waste money on a d44, at least go to 60s if you are going to spend 5k you might as well spend 6 and go to 1 tons.

If your truck is paid off you can refinance against it from the local credit union for fairly low interest rates still, and just use the money to really build the truck if that's what you want to do.

ScottBeach

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator sport s
Occupation
Engineer
Everyone needs the bad stuck story. Walking back 2 miles to get cell service after trying to winch out losing 1/2 a day. Then you are convinced the new axles are worth it.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Zero_Accel

Zero_Accel

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Wheel till you get tow truck stuck. Then add elockers for a lot lot less than 15k. You have an investment beyond money and 10 years from now you will be upset you sold your first jeep. You wont miss it if you dont sell it
One thing I forgot to mention, the funny thing about regretting selling the first Jeep, my old man was in a similar boat. He already had a 2015 JKU Hard Rock when they announced the JT, and really wanted one. But he didn't want two Jeeps, and didn't want to part ways with HIS first Jeep.

Jeep Gladiator Thinking of trading my Sport for a Rubicon IMG_5478.JPG

His solution was when my sister was looking for her first Jeep, he sold it to her for a steep discount, and bought his Gator JTR (part of the reason I'm looking at the Rubicons now).

Jeep Gladiator Thinking of trading my Sport for a Rubicon IMG_5508.JPG

Now he gets to see his old truck when she visits, it stayed in the family, and my sister takes great care of it and will NEVER sell it because it was both her first Jeep, and Dad's old Jeep.

Jeep Gladiator Thinking of trading my Sport for a Rubicon 20221014_114823

Win win win for them, my old man has always found clever solutions to problems like this. Maybe I can sell the truck to my brother in a few years lol.

Last edited:

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Many will say, and have said, just add lockers. I say drive a rubicon with the 4:1 transfer case and off road plus. Then make your decision. It’s truly night and day on rocks. Plus you can likely trade your sport and get much closer to the new one than the cost of lockers and gears. And to address the “lockers aren’t necessary” viewpoint, I’ve personally been on several obstacles where they absolutely were. Meaning the rigs without them didn’t make it up those obstacles. It doesn’t happen often, but those obstacles exist without question. Your Jeep though. And its a very nice one.

Vanishing Point

First Name
Ernest
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Physician
If your goal is to try and tackle tough obstacles and generally do 4 wheel drivey stuff then the lockers sound like the way to go. Personally I get attached to vehicles and if that time comes I'd just add the axles with lockers to my truck. I just couldn't trade it for another JT. Your truck is beautiful. I couldn't see parting with it. But since I use my truck to just explore and pull people out of ditches in snowstorms I probably won't ever need lockers. Doesn't mean I might not still get them though. 😅🤣

joeym7

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mojave, 2003 Cadalac STS
Occupation
Retired
You might be looking at this upside down...What exactly is your Sport (preventing, or making it difficult) for you to do out in the "wild" that would require you to get a Rubicon???

Chocolyle

First Name
Lyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTR Sarge Green MT
Occupation
Technical Sales / Security
My JTR is my first Jeep as well. My plan was a sport, didn't need X Y and Z that the Rubicon had. Either way I was ordering one because of the manual trans, they didn't exist or were as rare as seeing a unicorn. My hold back to ordering was how well the manual shifted. Test drove a 2 door manual, terrible ride, test drove an auto JT, wonderful ride.

A dealer north of me got in a base sport with the manual, drove it, liked it talked to the wife. I questioned the manual locks and windows, then driving an 87 LandCruiser, I would be "fine" with that. She said, think about it, order what you really want. Waited.

Started looking again months later and stopped at a dealer to do serious shopping for price, test drove a loaded JTR, but auto. Wow, the small thing difference of the Rubicon versus the Sport models so I priced out the Rubicon versus the Sport, same options, it was only 5-6K more, over the planned life for me of 10 years, having lockers, gearing basicly it is the Ready-to-Race version of the JT's, stupid not to.

Haven't looked back, hasn't let me down on any trails so far. Even at stock height, though last weekend realy showed the need for a lift. There was no way we would have made it through the trails we did in VT without the lockers. The 4.10 gears, 4-Lo leave it in 3rd gear and it just goes like a tractor on up. It impresses me every time we go!
Sponsored