Sponsored

Alans17

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
I learned about this on Facebook, but it looks like three people lost their lives yesterday when a Gladiator fell off Camp Bird Road near Ouray, CO. Such a tragic accident…

I don’t know many details, but for those not aware, this is the road that leads into the Imogene Pass trail from the Ouray side. It’s not at all technical or even particularly narrow when compared to other roads in the area, but the drop off is steep and far.

I traveled this very road last summer with my wife and two young daughters. It’s a sobering reminder that this pastime of ours can be as dangerous as it is exciting. Be careful out there, y’all.

Sponsored

Sponsored

Randonexplosion

First Name
Randon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon Diesel
Damn that is terrible. I just rode my Harley through the highway on Saturday.

Roklok

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Retired
My wife and I drove that road in 1976 in my IH Scout. beautiful area. You never know! My thoughts go out to their families.

willhonkforparts

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD & 2008 JKUR
Occupation
Self-loathing
That's terrible. I wonder if the driver had a medical emergency or if it was distraction that caused him to drive off the edge.

Sponsored

Ward

First Name
Ward
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Mojave
Occupation
retired
That's terrible. I wonder if the driver had a medical emergency or if it was distraction that caused him to drive off the edge.
The Durango newspaper is reporting that the driver was an employee of Colorado Western Jeep Rentals as a tour driver. Speculation abounds but facts are few. The Colorado SP has the area closed & is investigating. Prayers up for all.

OP
OP
Alans17

Alans17

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
They were traveling from Yankee Boy Basin towards Ouray so they would have had the outside lane, nearest the edge. There is no guardrail and of course you can’t see your passenger side tire placement. Could be a million reasons why it happened, though.

I’ve only been on that road once and it was in the other direction, but I could see it giving a false sense of security relative to other roads in the area.

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
I dont do anything cliff edge. If it's got a cliff edge I turn around and go back. My neighbor tells me proper offroading will have cliff edges. Ok, happy to not do 'proper' offroading.

Jeep Gladiator Three fatalities in Gladiator accident on Camp Bird Road near Ouray, CO nope
I feel ya there, I like a good shot of adrenaline but I also like being alive. Not passing judgement and the accident is tragic but I'd rather not go out like that.

NC_Overland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland
That’s a terrible story. My first thought is I hope they weren’t run off the road by inconsiderate idiots driving too fast in rental Jeeps. That’s what almost happened to me when I was there and seems to be a big issue.
Sponsored