First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Law
Has anybody seen the throttle body recall for 21-22 gladiators. It says it effects the throttle position sensor and can cause a check engine light that will cap your speed at 25. Has anybody ever had this experience? I’ve never seen it
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Has anybody seen the throttle body recall for 21-22 gladiators. It says it effects the throttle position sensor and can cause a check engine light that will cap your speed at 25. Has anybody ever had this experience? I’ve never seen it
No recalls posted. There's a TSB about lack of power, potentially being in limp mode
(maybe that's what you mean about 25 mph? But a CEL doesn't cap anything in itself)

If it's that one, engineering is looking into it. (Or was as of March of this year)
If it has become a recall, it's not been posted. Possibly it's a RTT - and those get called "Recalls".

OP
OP
Brahmajoe

Brahmajoe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Law
No recalls posted. There's a TSB about lack of power, potentially being in limp mode
(maybe that's what you mean about 25 mph? But a CEL doesn't cap anything in itself)

If it's that one, engineering is looking into it. (Or was as of March of this year)
If it has become a recall, it's not been posted. Possibly it's a RTT - and those get called "Recalls".
Yea it’s a “Customer Service Recall”

C8AD5D10-F955-466F-A298-320B0BB7F29C.png

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
That does closely match the TSB description even though the TSB calls it limp mode - this is aimed directly at customers so they won't use limp mode, they'll just say it's going to limit your speed.

Apparently they have found the issue and are contacting those with the impacted VIN directly.
I'd bet it's an RTT.

Symptom/Vehicle Issue: The customer’s complaint may include a MIL or check
engine lamp-on condition. The customer may also complain of a lack of power (vehicle
potentially in limp-mode). Upon further investigation, a fault code for P2100 -
ELECTRONIC THROTTLE CONTROL MOTOR CIRCUIT along with other fault codes
may be set in the PCM.

Customer Complaint/Technician Observation:
Check for any additional codes that accompany the P2100.

If P2101, P2110, and/or P2118 are also present, follow the published diagnostic
service procedure for P2100.

If none of the faults mentioned above (P2101, P2110, P2118) are present with the
P2100, clear the P2100 and test drive vehicle for 10 minutes.

 If the P2100 does not reset, return the vehicle to the customer.

 If the P2100 reappears during test drive, follow the published diagnostic service
procedure for the fault.

Engineering is investigating an issue for an intermittent P2100

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

jay21mojave

First Name
J. T.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave Gladiator 2013 JKU Sport '09 Patriot
Occupation
Sales Acct Mgr - OEM Wholesale DLR Group
Mine was in the 32,000 group and I had it performed today.. I never experienced this in 10,000 miles. Have a great dealership took about an hour from arrival to exit..Gotta get in line to get in the shop.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
Brahmajoe

Brahmajoe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Law
This appears to be brand new and for specific 21/22 JTs.

I wonder if the dealerships that have had issues after a PCM flash have read the TSB associated with that one? Or if they are simply panicking and not looking into it....
Yea I saw that, that’s why I’m holding off

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Yea I saw that, that’s why I’m holding off
IF and this is a relatively BIG IF, if the dealers are flashing and the PCM "bricks" so to speak, and we don't really know other than things don't work and it will no longer start - if this is related to the TSB about a Jeep not starting after a flash of the PCM - I wonder if they are panicking, freaking out and simply saying well, the flash trashed it and now we have to order a new one and start over, or, are they even trying - are they reading the TSBs and looking at the one that say if after a flash, things don't work, this may be the error and here's how to fix it.
My experience, and my opinion based on observation and experience is - it's possible that they are simply accepting that the flash destroyed it and are not even bothering to see if there's a fix for it. Are they looking for messages or codes, or simply saying crap, now the flash has ruined it.
I think that all-too-often they assume because similar has happened in the past and there was no way to get around it, it took a new one.

I think if this sort of thing happened to me, I'd ask - have you looked at TSB number xxxyyyzzz and tried this? Are you SURE it's trashed?

Is it pure coincidence that some people have talked about a PCM being trashed due to a flash when it was ultra-rare in the past, but now we are seeing it now and then - at the same time a TSB comes out with possible fix.
Is it possible that Jeep has seen a steep rise in PCMs being replaced, looked into hey, what's going on here, and discovered they are not really trashed in many cases?
I think too many dealers just aren't curious, don't have the time, or are too swamped, whatever, to put any real time into digging and diagnosing. Oops, it's broken, we'll order a new part.
Is it really?? Or are you really not at all curious?

Sponsored

Panthers65

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NA
Occupation
Account Manager
Had an appointment yesterday for my oil change and the recall popped up the day before, so I went ahead and had them do it. It's just a reporgram/flash, they did it while they were changing my oil, I didn't notice any difference in the way it drove on the way home. From what I saw it was causing some Jeeps to lose power on the interstate, which I never had a problem with before.

Luckily I had already unmarried my tazer the night before, I'll put it back on today sometime.

Ward

First Name
Ward
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Mojave
Occupation
retired
This has me concerned as I have a late '21 Mojave with the GPEC5 PCM. I purchased it slightly used with 1K mileage & am wondering if/how I might ascertain if this notification applies to my JT. Anybody have information on the vin# range or dates of manufacture?

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Had an appointment yesterday for my oil change and the recall popped up the day before, so I went ahead and had them do it. It's just a reporgram/flash, they did it while they were changing my oil, I didn't notice any difference in the way it drove on the way home. From what I saw it was causing some Jeeps to lose power on the interstate, which I never had a problem with before.

Luckily I had already unmarried my tazer the night before, I'll put it back on today sometime.
You shouldn't notice any difference at all unless you had the problem. It doesn't do anything but prevent the problem from what I've seen - and it doesn't appear to be widespread but it would be frustrating has @#$%!# if it did happen while in the middle of traffic on a busy interstate.

Dennis K

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Website
fineartamerica.com
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator, Gecko Sport S with Mack's Toe
Occupation
Ret
Just got home from a 900 mile trip to see this pop up in the groups. Glad I didn't have an issue with it...
App wants you to call in for an appointment instead of letting you schedule through the app.
Sure am loving this JT on a trip though...

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
It appears to not be common. Can't say I've heard of it until the OP posted here and I found a TSB dating back to March saying they were looking into it.

It's not a huge number, not recall-worthy, but they want to get it addressed.
Sponsored