First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Retired Fire & EMS Dispatcher
Wife asked today why I got my new hitch skid powder-coated Fire Engine Red, I told her hopefully it'll be seen rather than hit!
Sponsored

Klutch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Jeep Comanche, 2000 Jeep Cherokee
Like I tried to say - it's where YOU live. It's different here and other areas. So bottom line - you don't call the police, some others may be well off to do so.
"It depends". USNews did research before publishing their article - their suggestion - call, the quote I posted from "Ed" - a retired cop - says it all. "It depends on where you live".

Your cops won't give a rip - others will, or may. What's the worst that happens - you waste a free phone call.
Thankfully, Colorado Springs isn't the whole country.
Oh, I wasn't disagreeing with you. I just like to tell stories. :)

sunrise089

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Higher Ed
Pontiac with no license plate was a pretty worrying way to start even before the other guy started driving :)

Nothing like a solid piece of steel. I had the HD, diamond plate pattern painted steel one on the back of the work Econoline. I stopped for the red light and he did not. A light scratch on mine. His Caddy grille, and radiator was toast but he tried to drive away. Nope. He was a lawyer, prior DUI, in his wife's Cadillac with his girlfriend and mixed drinks spilled. Justice served. Best wreck I ever had.
Man I didn't know Bobby Petrino was a lawyer too!

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon Gladiator, Toyota Prius, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Network Security
IL - You can leave the hitch on the rear of a motor vehicle if it does not extend more than four inches beyond the bumper. Any hitch that extends beyond this must be removed.

Here is where someone asked a newspaper columnist a question as he'd been hearing people "say they heard that............" and this was their response -
ANSWER: As far as I can tell, there’s no law in Washington or any other state that specifically requires removing a ball trailer hitch when not in use.

Other than the law in IL, I've found no state requiring removal unless it obstructs the view of the rear plate.
Thats really good to know. Growing up in one state, living in one of the most open states now, but on the boarder of a way overreaching state has me so confused. In SC if it drives and you pay taxes you are pretty much good. NC has inspections and some nit picky laws I am always afraid for getting pulled over on since I probably am across the boarder half the time I drive.

Sponsored

redrider

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1 truck 5 motorcycles
I have this smitty bilt beaver tail sitting i my hitch... It works as a step, and beefy enough to use as a recovery point. it's a little incentive to keep ones distance, i hope.
Jeep Gladiator To the guy that backed into my tow hook… lmao 00D67CF5-CC97-466E-8B5E-E5A851A08E4B
Now there's a fancy shin-grabber!

Sponsored

mojocho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I have this smitty bilt beaver tail sitting i my hitch... It works as a step, and beefy enough to use as a recovery point. it's a little incentive to keep ones distance, i hope.
Jeep Gladiator To the guy that backed into my tow hook… lmao 00D67CF5-CC97-466E-8B5E-E5A851A08E4B
I have the exact same thing. Great step and recovery point, but it's a great deterrent as well!

Jason Oliver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator Mohave, '18 Jeep Renegade Trail Hawk
Occupation
Approaching Retirement
Less than 3000miles on it at Costco, no note, but obliged to steal my .50cal antenna as well. Inspiration for a little change.
More information on this, if you please! Inquiring minds want to know!

869 KPH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Hot Dog Vendor
More information on this, if you please! Inquiring minds want to know!
This thing looks like it would just wreck your rear quarter panels if it got dinged enough to rotate or move at all.

OVERLORD

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
A stop sign in my area, on a road that merges smoothly into the main road, both are almost parallel.

Some kid in a Sentra tailgating me the entire way.

I stopped at the stop sign, he didn't stop.

Rear ended me.

As I got out, he was backing up and sped off.

About to give chase.

Looked at the trailer hitch.

Anti-freeze dripping, an aluminum line hanging from the hitch, looked like an A/C condenser line, bumper sprayed with some kind of oil.

Zero damage to the hitch or the truck.

A trail of fluids on the path he chose to take.

Tempted to follow, but thought better of it.

He's now in much worse shape than I am.

Girlfriend asked how can I smile at this.

There is justice in the world.
Sponsored