Sponsored

Tops! Canopy / covers / toppers / racks possibilities for Gladiator - Show me!

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
maybe an auto customs place... not sure if you have those around you. Actually - it may even be worth asking leitner... maybe they know someone who could do it? I'm talking about leitner like we're friends... :lipssealed:
Maybe I cN convince them to design it, they'd have all the measurements, and I'm not the only one that would want one.

Tortooga Custom Works

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladator Launch Edition | 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
Maybe I cN convince them to design it, they'd have all the measurements, and I'm not the only one that would want one.
it doesn't hurt to ask leitner, I think they'd get interest from other truck owners too, not just the gladiator. So basically a canvas cover for their active cargo system that would insulate everything from the elements - but is easily removable... maybe even, the way @Bobs85Reny described it, where it's multiple pieces. So you could run with just the top cover, but have the sides off, or rolled up...

Here's the render @Bobs85Reny did...
gladiatorcagerack2-jpg.jpg

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
it doesn't hurt to ask leitner, I think they'd get interest from other truck owners too, not just the gladiator. So basically a canvas cover for their active cargo system that would insulate everything from the elements - but is easily removable... maybe even, the way @Bobs85Reny described it, where it's multiple pieces. So you could run with just the top cover, but have the sides off, or rolled up...

Here's the render @Bobs85Reny did...
gladiatorcagerack2-jpg.jpg
This was good for a rectangular box.

I'm thinking this kind of thing for leitner,
Rear view of one panel
IMG_1630_large.jpg

leitner rear.png

birdseye of whole assembly:
Yellow dashes are some kind of velcrow to allow for rollup. 3 red panels stiched together at teal seams, blue panels are double ended zippered to red panel on green line so you can unzip from tailgate back to cab to use vertical space of bed fully, or unzip the two diagonals of one side then you can roll up just the one side, or unzip one side all the way off if you like.

I want to stitch in heavy duty magnets into the green lines so that they stick to the leitner steel tubes.
leitner birdseye.png

Last edited:

Sponsored

Tortooga Custom Works

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladator Launch Edition | 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
This was good for a rectangular box.

I'm thinking this kind of thing for leitner,
Rear view of one panel
IMG_1630_large.jpg

leitner rear.png

birdseye of whole assembly:

Yellow dashes are some kind of velcrow to allow for rollup. 3 red panels stiched together at teal seams, blue panels are double ended zippered to red panel so you can unzip from tailgate back to cap to use vertical space of bed fully, or unzip the two diagonals of one side then you can roll up just the one side, or unzip one side all the way off if you like.

I want to stitch in heavy duty magnets into the green lines so that they stick to the leitner steel tubes on the corners..
View attachment 15587
Right... I understand. In my head I mean more the concept of making something out of canvas that would fit the shape.
That made me think of "custom tents" - if you google that there are a few companies that come up. Really that's all it is, some kind of weather treated canvas with zippers and plastic... I'm obviously oversimplifying lol

Alternatively - and I'm just dreaming here - perhaps it's possible to make a custom rack with the 80/20 stuff - and maybe, just maybe, they have "removable" panels, or doors...

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That made me think of "custom tents" - if you google that there are a few companies that come up. Really that's all it is, some kind of weather treated canvas with zippers and plastic... I'm obviously oversimplifying lol
that's a good idea!

Sponsored

Mitten2Mountains

First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 JKU
And this one's apparently for a JT!
ROFL.. :LOL:
no.. i don't sell anything.
just some truck i spotted on day at the Walgreen's by my work.
i bet if you call the number on the truck.. the guy can tell ya about it....

but if i did sell something... it would make sure the fit and finish execution was much better.
:rock:

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
If I don't make this myself, who do I ask to make this? An apohlsterer, seamstress? Never needed a custom fabric thing created.
Do you live near a lake or ocean?
There may be a marine upholsterer who could fabricate it for you.

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Do you live near a lake or ocean?
There may be a marine upholsterer who could fabricate it for you.
PLEASE, I live next to the GREAT LAKES? Ever heard of them?

J/K

Thanks for the suggestion.

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Okay, i'm flipping and flopping like a fish out of water on this, but what do you guys think about These two options?
  1. The decked setup which gives a few nice drawers so you can gain access to some stuff in those bins whenever you have more stuff on top of it. This is a cool idea but I feel like its wasting so much space by the wheel wells. Also if i'm going camping with the whole family, aint no way all of our crap will fit into these two drawers, so I still need some kind of soft/hard tonneau cover to have added dry storage.
  2. A Diamondback tonneau cover with their wide 8" deep bin in the front, plus possible side boxes, that flip out wheel arch box, or something custom made out of PLYWOOD. This provides more dry storage, can gain access to that 8" deep bin in the front whenever I need (like the decked setup, quick access to the drawers) OR remove the bin when you need even more bed space for bulky stuff like PLYWOOD , but have more room in the bed for camping stuff, can easily flip up and take off rear panel if I need to haul a few garbage cans, or take the whole top off with 4 bolts or so. Each panel is about 25-35 lbs, so 1 man can do it.
  • Oh and the diamondback would allow me to mount some kind of RTT rack on top or park an ATV on it, lol
I noticed yesterday after it was pouring that I really like the dry hauling ability of my VAN, and with a stock truck, i'll be losing that.
Sponsored