Sponsored

Tops! Canopy / covers / toppers / racks possibilities for Gladiator - Show me!

Tortooga Custom Works

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladator Launch Edition | 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
Okay, i'm flipping and flopping like a fish out of water on this, but what do you guys think about These two options?
  1. The decked setup which gives a few nice drawers so you can gain access to some stuff in those bins whenever you have more stuff on top of it. This is a cool idea but I feel like its wasting so much space by the wheel wells. Also if i'm going camping with the whole family, aint no way all of our crap will fit into these two drawers, so I still need some kind of soft/hard tonneau cover to have added dry storage.
  2. A Diamondback tonneau cover with their wide 8" deep bin in the front, plus possible side boxes, that flip out wheel arch box, or something custom made out of PLYWOOD. This provides more dry storage, can gain access to that 8" deep bin in the front whenever I need (like the decked setup, quick access to the drawers) OR remove the bin when you need even more bed space for bulky stuff like PLYWOOD , but have more room in the bed for camping stuff, can easily flip up and take off rear panel if I need to haul a few garbage cans, or take the whole top off with 4 bolts or so. Each panel is about 25-35 lbs, so 1 man can do it.
  • Oh and the diamondback would allow me to mount some kind of RTT rack on top or park an ATV on it, lol
I noticed yesterday after it was pouring that I really like the dry hauling ability of my VAN, and with a stock truck, i'll be losing that.
The decked is out for me - I think it's too limiting.

Is the diamond back cover removable? You've brought up a good point before about being able to use the whole bed...
What do you mean by flip out wheel arch boxes? Like the one available on the RAM?
Sponsored

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
The decked is out for me - I think it's too limiting.

Is the diamond back cover removable? You've brought up a good point before about being able to use the whole bed...
What do you mean by flip out wheel arch boxes? Like the one available on the RAM?
The diamondback panels tilt to the middle and then can be pulled out easily, but the middle section would have to be unbolted to be fully removed.

Something like this for the swingout. https://www.amazon.com/UnderCover-S...ocphy=9019181&hvtargid=pla-385724587435&psc=1

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
The diamondback panels tilt to the middle and then can be pulled out easily, but the middle section would have to be unbolted to be fully removed.

Something like this for the swingout. https://www.amazon.com/UnderCover-S...ocphy=9019181&hvtargid=pla-385724587435&psc=1
The swingox MIGHT work, the jt has narrow 49" tailgate, so the wheel arch area is recessed a bit, but this looks to have multiple mounting holes on the front of the box.

81MDbLHa-FL._SL1500_.jpg

BUT it might eliminate the plywood rating......

Last edited:

msujedi

First Name
Jed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S, 2014 Durango, 2020 Ibis Ripley
Vehicle Showcase
Okay, i'm flipping and flopping like a fish out of water on this, but what do you guys think about These two options?
  1. The decked setup which gives a few nice drawers so you can gain access to some stuff in those bins whenever you have more stuff on top of it. This is a cool idea but I feel like its wasting so much space by the wheel wells. Also if i'm going camping with the whole family, aint no way all of our crap will fit into these two drawers, so I still need some kind of soft/hard tonneau cover to have added dry storage.
  2. A Diamondback tonneau cover with their wide 8" deep bin in the front, plus possible side boxes, that flip out wheel arch box, or something custom made out of PLYWOOD. This provides more dry storage, can gain access to that 8" deep bin in the front whenever I need (like the decked setup, quick access to the drawers) OR remove the bin when you need even more bed space for bulky stuff like PLYWOOD , but have more room in the bed for camping stuff, can easily flip up and take off rear panel if I need to haul a few garbage cans, or take the whole top off with 4 bolts or so. Each panel is about 25-35 lbs, so 1 man can do it.
  • Oh and the diamondback would allow me to mount some kind of RTT rack on top or park an ATV on it, lol
I noticed yesterday after it was pouring that I really like the dry hauling ability of my VAN, and with a stock truck, i'll be losing that.
So, no bed rack for you now? If you're not limited by having to fit a cover under a bed rack, the sky is the limit!

I agree that the decked set up is really nice ... for a customer in a specific niche. But, it's limiting for others. The diamondback seems fine, but there are a ton of covers that flip, slide, or roll out of the way more easily. Do you need the strength it provides in order to put heavy items directly on it?

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So, no bed rack for you now? If you're not limited by having to fit a cover under a bed rack, the sky is the limit!

I agree that the decked set up is really nice ... for a customer in a specific niche. But, it's limiting for others. The diamondback seems fine, but there are a ton of covers that flip, slide, or roll out of the way more easily. Do you need the strength it provides in order to put heavy items directly on it?
Well i'm really not sure about having a bed rack or not. They do make a standard weight cover where you can't put an ATV on it as well.

I do have an ATV that would be nice to just throw on the cover during hunting trips, but its not necessary most of the time, or a requirement even.

I should probably just wait and actually see how much stuff you can fit under a 5' bed with tonneau cover. (i'll fancy a temporary PLYWOOD cover to see what all i can haul under there.

Sponsored

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
@steffen707 look before you buy... It is totally individualist to the individuals. The more I look at Jeep's the more unique adds I see. You might find six sperate dealios that make it perfect for you. Then again, you might call on 2015er wisdom, and buy a 2 door long bed so you have room for all the adds... Wa wa. Hey, look where I'm headed!

6a00d83451b3c669e2017744795466970d-800wi.jpg

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@steffen707 look before you buy... It is totally individualist to the individuals. The more I look at Jeep's the more unique adds I see. You might find six sperate dealios that make it perfect for you. Then again, you might call on 2015er wisdom, and buy a 2 door long bed so you have room for all the adds... Wa wa. Hey, look where I'm headed!

6a00d83451b3c669e2017744795466970d-800wi.jpg
That's an awesome topper!, Awesome Jeep too!
Thanks for the advice......Just getting antsy, not all of us already have Gladiators in our driveway, lol

Sponsored

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
That's an awesome topper!, Awesome Jeep too!
Thanks for the advice......Just getting antsy, not all of us already have Gladiators in our driveway, lol
Looks like a soft top?! So I'm going to have to go period correct which is probably a decade out so anything from early sixties to early seventies. Keep you posted. As for the itch, it can never be scratched. I just want to drive my Jeep all day ...mechanic might have it back soon... Man I am excited and it's not even a completed project. Just drivable. Lmao. Easily gratified? I gues

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BOOOO,
"
Hello steffen707,

We have no info on the 2020 Jeep Gladiator at this time. They have not released any info on what will be built first for the 2020 Gladiator.

Thank You

A.R.E

Lou3.6

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep 2016 WK2 75th Anniversary edition
Occupation
retired Navy -- 1984 > 2004
Disappointing A.R.E. is "taking their sweet-time on this, but they are, now, part of a bigger Conglomerate, so their "money" perhaps gets "divied-up" differently for R&D . . . ? I'm hoping SnugTop comes out with a short 5ft version of their OutBack CAP with the 2 swing out doors !
Someone also needs to come out with a Taller Tonneau Cover - one with about an added 4" to the sides, so that those of us thinking about slide out trays and 12v Fridges will have enough ROOM to FIT and not be "vertically challenged" ! At only 171/2" max., that doesn't leave many Fridge Choices for JT Bed Installation - forget it altogether with a slide !
I find it interesting that over the past year . . . we went from jezz-the-cost, it's too expensive; to (now) geez, what can I do/add to "micro-manage" the Bed dynamics so that I don't wind up totally Limiting my uses for IT ! ? The JT juggernaut-conundrum ! So, I've decided to KISS it completely (the Bed), thus afford me the utmost flexibility - even though I don't require it . Not like some who are obsessed with being able to carry tons of plywood, :blush: :angel: :LOL:, My only requirement is to be able to CAMP & carry my fly fishing gear, perhaps an inflatable raft .
Next visit to the dealer & I'm gonna crawl up in the bed and see if I can "comfortably" lay flat, corner to corner (sleep) . I do realize I won't be able to stretch out (at 6ft) . . . ah the sacrifices we'd make just to have a JT ! ? :CWL:. IF it don't work, step 2 - one of the many mid height bed racks and a RTT . NO drawer system - to much wasted space, and not enough space left over (vertically) . That Taller tonneau cover needs to fit along with the Rack System - only a few of these combos are available (for now) and they are $$$ ! And they are all FLAT covers, for now . Hoping things open up by years end/early 2020 . If not, the JLU is my (obvious other jeep) option - gotta be a Jeep !
Not concerned about Towing massive amounts of crap I don't need/want - just my smaller Drift boat/trailer (~1200lbs.max) . We shall see what we shall see, when the time comes to make the Final-Decision & place an order (Sport S) . . . JT or JLU ! ? I'm guessing that IF I hold out for some new intel and years end shows up, . . . then I can wait through the Winter ('19/'20) and place the order in say, February 2020 ! ? Who knows, maybe Recon Green will make a new showing (different name?) - I'd LOVE that . . . my '16 G.C. color . OK, done, no really that's all folks ! ;) :like:

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DiamondBack Tonneau covers has it's DiamondBack HD, for the Gladiator, available for order. $1729
It can carry 1600lbs. I'm getting this for my Gladiator.

https://diamondbackcovers.com/products/diamondback-hd-jeep?variant=28294731169891
damnit, they told me like 2 days ago it wouldn't be ready until next month........., i know i know, i shouldn't be mad its coming out sooner, just mad you found out before me, lmao. So no discount on this thing, same price as all others.
Sponsored