First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Electrical foreman
The OP by his own admission, is not doing an extensive amount of offroading. Never any rock crawling. Wide(r) tires are really only better when and where flotation is needed. Offroad deep sand/snow and watery mud holes. Wide(r) tires are are just not practical for a daily driver. Even worse on mentioned wet/snow road conditions. Lane groove wandering too even.
Ultra high horsepower drag cars? Stability has nothing to do with their use of wide tires, Iā€™m sure.
The ā€œwagon wheelā€ video clip is ā€œfor entertainment purposes only.ā€
Seemingly found the wide tire guy.
šŸ˜„
Wide tires have better dry traction all things being equal, especially on the street. Thus the drag racing example. They run tiny narrow tires on the steer axle, it's not stability it's traction. Tens of thousands of truck/Jeep owners daily on 315s or wider, how is it not practical? I haven't bought a tire for a Jeep or truck narrower than that in 20 years. The wife daily drove her JLUR on 38x13.50s for 60k miles. The xr package comes with a 315/70r17. I'm sure most of those owners daily drive them as most can't afford a $50k+ weekend toy?
Sponsored

Last edited:

MojaveMags

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Those look great...those are 315s or 11.5?
I put the 11.5's Toyo AT III's on a few months ago. Have about a 2k miles on them so far. No complaints. Great ride and traction in all conditions. I think they are the perfect fit. Not too big/ wide and not too small.
Jeep Gladiator Torn Between 315/70R17 or 35x11.5x17 PXL_20230910_213425887~2
Jeep Gladiator Torn Between 315/70R17 or 35x11.5x17 PXL_20230915_124526594~2
Jeep Gladiator Torn Between 315/70R17 or 35x11.5x17 PXL_20230909_172041257
Jeep Gladiator Torn Between 315/70R17 or 35x11.5x17 PXL_20230915_124535833

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
You need to state to people on this forum that your Toyo RTs if 3.5 years old are a discontinued tire. The NEW completely redesigned ā€œRT Trailā€ has actually been received quite well in their short barely over a year existence. The ā€œoldā€ RT trails were not well received. Only time will truly tell how they perform and that data will not become available for awhile. Theyā€™re too new for someone to make a biased judgement as you have done.
I believe I DID state they were 3.5 years old.

Go rant and rave at someone else.

peterpilot379

First Name
Star
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜21 Mojave Gladiator
Occupation
Pirate
I love a skinny tire. Currently running Nitto Trail Grapplers 35x11.50R17. Considering 10.5s on my next set.

Sponsored

OffAxis2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
25th. Anniversary Ducati Monster 1200 #188/500
Occupation
Company car hauling truck driver 26 years 2024.
Wide tires have better dry traction all things being equal, especially on the street. Thus the drag racing example. They run tiny narrow tires on the steer axle, it's not stability it's traction. Tens of thousands of truck/Jeep owners daily on 315s or wider, how is it not practical? I haven't bought a tire for a Jeep or truck narrower than that in 20 years. The wife daily drive her JLUR on 38x13.50s for 60k miles. The xr package comes with a 315/70r17. I'm sure most of those owners daily drive them as most can't afford a $50k+ weekend toy?
Nowhere was it implied that a lot A LOT of people do not daily drive them. Maybe you do not experience much rainfall, snow, etc. where you are, but other than the mentioned adverse weather and off-road conditions conditions, a narrow(er) tire is absolutely more practical for everyday onroad use. Siping matters too. Fck a mud terrain.

We all like something different and a lot of timesā€¦ fashion over function prevails.

I simply addressed the OPā€™s occasional offroad use and daily driving mention. I do not bring up high horsepower vehicles and/or weekend warrior toys.

With all that being said, I personally will never ever even consider anything wider than either my 10.5ā€ wide R/Ts (which I certainly do not prefer over) for the warmer weather and/or my 10ā€ wide A/Ts (much preferred generally) for the colder weather months, butā€¦ that is me.

I chose to stick with the vehicleā€™s design intended purpose theme of high(er) speed offroad desert/dune running. Not putzing around and slowly crawling up rocks, which is also fine, for those who choose. I myself also daily mine 30 miles one way, 2/3 country/county roads and 1/3 freeway.
I like that I can drive 80mph plus without an issue. Itā€™s actually as smooth as I prefer and expect it to be.

Good day from this narrow tire type.
šŸ™ƒ

IMG_3197.jpeg

There is a quick mention here about not running 12.5ā€ wide on his daily, but heyā€¦
Wisconsin (oh & science).

Apparentlyā€¦ this one is good too, but I made my choice(s) for me, via the previous.

Last edited:

Wheelin98TJ

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Bean Counter
Nowhere was it implied that a lot A LOT of people do not daily drive them. Maybe you do not experience much rainfall, snow, etc. where you are, but other than the mentioned adverse weather and off-road conditions conditions, a narrow(er) tire is absolutely more practical for everyday onroad use. Siping matters too. Fck a mud terrain.

We all like something different and a lot of timesā€¦ fashion over function prevails.

I simply addressed the OPā€™s occasional offroad use and daily driving mention. I do not bring up high horsepower vehicles and/or weekend warrior toys.

With all that being said, I personally will never ever even consider anything wider than either my 10.5ā€ wide R/Ts (which I certainly do not prefer over) for the warmer weather and/or my 10ā€ wide A/T (much preferred) for the colder weather months, butā€¦ that is me.

I chose to stick with the vehicleā€™s design intended purpose theme of high(er) speed offroad desert/dune running. Not putzing around and slowly crawling up rocks, which is also fine, for those who choose.

šŸ™ƒ

Jeep Gladiator Torn Between 315/70R17 or 35x11.5x17 IMG_3197

There is a quick mention here about not running 12.5ā€ wide on his daily, but heyā€¦ Wisconsin.

Apparentlyā€¦ this one is good too, but I made my choice(s) for me, via the previous.
Iā€™m in Michigan, we have crap roads and all that weather you mentioned. My girlfriend drives my Gladiator with 12.50 wide tires and she doesnā€™t complain about it. If there was an issue, you can bet sheā€™d be bitching.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Fiat 124 Spider, 2023 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I find 315mm/12.5" wide tires completely unnecessary 99% of the time.

They stick out past the fenders, constantly throwing rain, mud and rocks onto the sides of the Jeep and, all things being equal, they kill the ride quality and the MPG of your Jeep.

After having tried a dozen different tire specs and configurations over the years, I now refrain from going wider than 285mm/11.5" wide on these vehicles.

Good luck in your search.

OffAxis2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Iā€™m in Michigan, we have crap roads and all that weather you mentioned. My girlfriend drives my Gladiator with 12.50 wide tires and she doesnā€™t complain about it. If there was an issue, you can bet sheā€™d be bitching.
Assuming you did not bother with the videos beforehandā€¦

Look. I said what I said (to the OP) and Iā€™m not going to debate everyone.
Again: everyone likes something different. While some are content, there could be room for improvement.

The science matters. Iā€™m not changing my mind.

For year round onroad driving in snow and suchā€¦ narrow are absolutely better. Overall, better fuel economy (Lol!), less wear and tear, etc. & etc.

I guarantee in the couple of ā€œSnowmageddonsā€ we have had here in Michigan, you can find me in the far left freeway lane, braking trail, maintaining the speed limit, avoiding all the white-knucklers and smiling the whole time doing so.
This is my first Jeep, by far not my first 4x4 pickup style vehicle and with its narrow tires, I am thoroughly impressed with its winter driving capability and overallā€¦ 100% satisfied with my choices.

Good day to you as well.

Last edited:

Verdemota

First Name
Raymundo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Ford Service Advisor
Here my jeep in stock wheels and 35x11.5 nittos. It disnt rub at all without a lift but I added a mopar lift with bilstein shocks. Jeep still feels peppy and mpgs didnā€™t suffer that much. Used to have a sport on 35x12.5 and 18 ā€¦. That thing was sluggish

IMG_6619.jpeg

Sponsored

Wheelin98TJ

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Bean Counter

Again: everyone likes something different. While some are content, there could be room for improvement.

For year round onroad driving in snow and suchā€¦ narrow are absolutely better. Overall, better fuel economy (Lol!), less wear and tear, etc. & etc.

I guarantee in the couple of ā€œSnowmageddonsā€ we have had here in Michigan, you can find me in the far left freeway lane, braking trail, maintaining the speed limit, avoiding all the white-knucklers and smiling the whole time doing so.
This is my first Jeep, by far not my first 4x4 pickup style vehicle and with its narrow tires, I am thoroughly impressed with its winter driving capability and overallā€¦ 100% satisfied with my choices.

Good day to you as well.
I donā€™t need to watch videos to hear the science and theories. Iā€™m 46 years old and have been around Jeeps and trucks my entire life. Iā€™ve been on forums for 25+ years and this topic is nothing new. My opinion is the difference between 11.50 and 12.50 isnā€™t marginal enough to matter.

If youā€™re in the left land and Iā€™m behind you, please merge to the right. šŸ˜

OffAxis2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
If youā€™re in the left land and Iā€™m behind you, please merge to the right. šŸ˜
Wellā€¦ itā€™s is not an age or experience competition, but 1 thing is for sureā€¦ we Michiganders sure are opinionated and stubborn AF too.

šŸ˜„

OP
OP

amadeus303

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 HBP JT Overland 6MT, 2023 BW JT Mojave

Good day to you as well.
Fwiw, you completely understand where I'm coming from and my specific use case. It's much appreciated. My preferences and needs just 10 years ago when my family was much younger were very different. I spend most of my days "wheeling" to soccer games, track meets, and dance competitions...so I only get to "play" once in awhile. The 11.5s seem to fit that bill.

OP
OP

amadeus303

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 HBP JT Overland 6MT, 2023 BW JT Mojave
This Mojave is the first automatic I've ever owned...and my wife is pumped because she finally gets to drive one of my rigs in the 27 years we've been together. I've tried to teach her a stick on several occasions, and she's just not interested in really learning, lol.

I guess we'll see if her butt dyno notices any of these changes as they happen, haha.

Last edited:

Zachanadandy

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Electrical foreman

With all that being said, I personally will never ever even consider anything wider than either my 10.5ā€ wide R/Ts (which I certainly do not prefer over) for the warmer weather and/or my 10ā€ wide A/Ts (much preferred generally) for the colder weather months, butā€¦ that is me.

I chose to stick with the vehicleā€™s design intended purpose theme of high(er) speed offroad desert/dune running. Not putzing around and slowly crawling up rocks, which is also fine, for those who choose. I myself also daily mine 30 miles one way, 2/3 country/county roads and 1/3 freeway.
I like that I can drive 80mph plus without an issue. Itā€™s actually as smooth as I prefer and expect it to be.

šŸ™ƒ

IMG_3197.jpeg

There is a quick mention here about not running 12.5ā€ wide on his daily, but heyā€¦
Wisconsin (oh & science).

Now you're implying we can't run at speed on road or in the dirt because our tires are wide? Out west where I've spent my whole life wheeling and driving freeways with speed limits that start with an 8x and you'll get passed by a semi pulling triples if you're under 80mph, they work just fine. The only place I find all terrains outperform off road is ice. On road the difference is negligible. It's been proven over and over in back to back testing on the same vehicle that even deep snow and sand an MT will have more traction. My mojave was road tripped 500miles to the mojave desert with the cruise control set at 85mph and hit 70+ in the dirt when we got there, all before it hit 1500 miles on the odometer. The 37x12.50 MTs have no problem with either. I agree with the statement that the difference between an 11.5 and a 12.5 is marginal. Some act like we are out here running 19.50" wide iroks, it really isn't that big a deal. If my jeep was a daily I'd still run an Mt for the times I needed it off road. The benefits outweigh the drawbacks in my opinion.
Sponsored

Last edited: