Sponsored

Tow package and Max tow package are NOT the same!

fun2drum

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Jeep does a poor job with specifying the tow capacities for the various models, power trains and option packages on their web site. The only numbers I can find for the Sport S is with a manual trans., 4000# or max tow (w/ auto - which is the only trans available) @7650#. Based on other threads in this forum and non-Jeep sources it appears that the tow capacity w/ an auto bumps up to 4500# but is that with or without the standard two package? I've also seen reference to a 6000# capacity for the S (maybe auto w/ standard tow) - really confusing or maybe it's just me :) ? There is no official tow capacity table from Jeep, at least that I can find? Maybe they are trying to get you to contact or visit a dealer to get actual spec. numbers? Does anyone have the official numbers?
The owners manual says a Sport S with tow package (not max tow) is 6,000 lbs. You can look at your specific Jeep on their website and it shows its towing capacity. Mine is over 6,400 lbs and it's a Sport S with regular towing package. More than plenty of towing for my needs, and it's funny because when I asked the dealer he told me 5,000 lbs. I have no idea where they pulled that number out of.
Sponsored

JTBurns

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Jeep does a poor job with specifying the tow capacities for the various models, power trains and option packages on their web site. The only numbers I can find for the Sport S is with a manual trans., 4000# or max tow (w/ auto - which is the only trans available) @7650#. Based on other threads in this forum and non-Jeep sources it appears that the tow capacity w/ an auto bumps up to 4500# but is that with or without the standard two package? I've also seen reference to a 6000# capacity for the S (maybe auto w/ standard tow) - really confusing or maybe it's just me :) ? There is no official tow capacity table from Jeep, at least that I can find? Maybe they are trying to get you to contact or visit a dealer to get actual spec. numbers? Does anyone have the official numbers?
This is listed in the Owner's manual:
Jeep Gladiator Tow package and Max tow package are NOT the same! 15999161051426724302653479508204

Sorry if you have to turn your phone, but clearly states Sport S Auto with tow package is 6000 lbs

Luxy60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Crosstrek
I've built and priced various config's on the web site and I couldn't find a corresponding tow capacity - but hey, my eyesight ain't so good.
This is listed in the Owner's manual:
15999161051426724302653479508204.jpg

Sorry if you have to turn your phone, but clearly states Sport S Auto with tow package is 6000 lbs
This is perfect - thanks! Why can't Jeep just include a similar tow capacity table - by model/ type on their web site and don't clutter it up with all the marketing BS!

Last edited:

JTBurns

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
No problem! I obsessed over this forum, the builder, and other resources for like 6 months before I finally bought, and agree a table like that somewhere on their website is not too much to ask. Like the OP I have a Sport S with the trailer tow package, it did come with the upgraded alternator, heavy duty engine cooling, and the class lV receiver hitch. It fits my needs but of you want to put 35" tires or bigger on your rig, get anything that has the 4:10 gear ratio. I recently put Rubicon takeoffs on mine and would not go bigger, because I can feel the truck working a little harder with them. I wouldn't say performance is really lost, just spending some more time in the lower gears, especially if pulling a bigger hill.

Another idea for the OP would be to possibly see what you could get for a trade to upgrade to a Max Tow model. Normally I would not recommend this, but I've seen a few posts where people have traded and got great value. You will probably still take a hit, but not sure if it's as bad as what it would cost trying to turn the one you bought into a Max Tow.

JkJT84

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S w Max Tow
Occupation
LEO
Vehicle Showcase
As someone who has pulled a trailer or two in my day, I can tell you I don’t like being anywhere near capacity when I’m towing. Add in no trailer brake controller and I just don’t know that I’d be comfortable trailering what the OP is trying to even with my Maxtow.

Sponsored

Luxy60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Crosstrek
As someone who has pulled a trailer or two in my day, I can tell you I don’t like being anywhere near capacity when I’m towing. Add in no trailer brake controller and I just don’t know that I’d be comfortable trailering what the OP is trying to even with my Maxtow.
Back to the original topic. If I were the OP, I would trade it for a 1/2 or 3/4 ton Ram w/ a V8 (vs. max tow), to pull that load with any regularity or for anything more than a very short distance. Even if it's under the GCWR, that engine will struggle.

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
I've built and priced various config's on the web site and I couldn't find a corresponding tow capacity - but hey, my eyesight ain't so good.

This is perfect - thanks! Why can't Jeep just include a similar tow capacity table - by model/ type on their web site and don't clutter it up with all the marketing BS!
When you buy the jeep they send you a yellow or green card updating the numbers

tysongladiator

First Name
Tyson
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Learner
Vehicle Showcase
This is not a huge problem ... You should be able to change the rear end gearing to 4.10 ... People do it all the time ... It will cost a few bucks but it wont break the bank ...
Yep. I saw on marketplace that a few people that upgraded their gears were selling their 4:10s for a couple hundred bucks. I also saw someone selling the high output alternator for $100. I almost bought it just to have an extra. Lol. And as for the cosmetic stuff? Eh, it's a jeep. Most people will change half that stuff anyway.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
The owners manual says a Sport S with tow package (not max tow) is 6,000 lbs. You can look at your specific Jeep on their website and it shows its towing capacity. Mine is over 6,400 lbs and it's a Sport S with regular towing package. More than plenty of towing for my needs, and it's funny because when I asked the dealer he told me 5,000 lbs. I have no idea where they pulled that number out of.
The only place to find the legal and engineered capabilities of a JT AS BUILT, in other words, with your options and so on, is on the door sticker.
If anything happens, that's what the insurance company and perhaps even law enforcement, will look at.
You can't go by that web site if you are referring to the mopar site you log in to....... that's had some at 8,000 or even a MINUS 1 (-1)
It's way off base on my towing, but fairly close on my payload. Others it isn't even close.

The door sticker is the legal say.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Yep. I saw on marketplace that a few people that upgraded their gears were selling their 4:10s for a couple hundred bucks. I also saw someone selling the high output alternator for $100. I almost bought it just to have an extra. Lol. And as for the cosmetic stuff? Eh, it's a jeep. Most people will change half that stuff anyway.
IF you are referring to the alternator for sale here for 100 - that's not the highest output. That's the one in the middle if I recall correctly. That's likely why it's still for sale.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
When you buy the jeep they send you a yellow or green card updating the numbers
HUH??
I don't recall getting any such thing, nor has anyone I have talked to about it........
The numbers plastered on the door frame are all I have and all that's legal unless you are saying Jeep is changing those.
I have no such thing for mine. The door sticker is god on my payload and towing.

fun2drum

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
The only place to find the legal and engineered capabilities of a JT AS BUILT, in other words, with your options and so on, is on the door sticker.
If anything happens, that's what the insurance company and perhaps even law enforcement, will look at.
You can't go by that web site if you are referring to the mopar site you log in to....... that's had some at 8,000 or even a MINUS 1 (-1)
It's way off base on my towing, but fairly close on my payload. Others it isn't even close.

The door sticker is the legal say.
I don't see any reference to towing capacity on my door sticker.

Where do you see that?

Angler3

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 gladiator
Okay, before some of you folks roast me for this post, please remember that not everyone is a motorhead and I’m learning as I go...but I figured others might learn from my mistake.
I recently purchased a Sport with what I thought was the Max tow package. I need to pull a John Deere 4066R with the appropriate trailer to tow it and one implement. I saw an ad for a Sport with the “tow package” and everything I wanted. I went to the dealer in Bennington, VT and talked to them the same day. I told them what I wanted to do with it and verified multiple times that it could do what I needed. I think I likely interchanged “max tow package” and “tow package” several times.
Long story short, I got the wrong truck and I’m sick to my stomach.
Make sure the window sticker says Max Tow Package and 4:10 gears or the truck doesn’t have Max Tow.
When I purchased my sport s max tow , the salesman seemed to be knowledgeable in the packages. He pointed out that the max tow has a small difference in the outer fender lip. I can take a pic later, and add it.

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
HUH??
I don't recall getting any such thing, nor has anyone I have talked to about it........
The numbers plastered on the door frame are all I have and all that's legal unless you are saying Jeep is changing those.
I have no such thing for mine. The door sticker is god on my payload and towing.
I will try to post a picture of it later today. The numbers were not different from what was stated on my max tow. I cant be certain but I believe it was dealing with the changes to the combined gross weight of vehicle and trailer/load allowed. Now Im curious to see, I vaguely recall my owners manual table having it at 12,500 and the card having it at 12,800. Should be home in a few hours, think I can find it easy enough

FWoggy

First Name
Fredric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
retired
When I bought my Sport S with Max Tow, I really had to do the research. I am pulling a 6k trailer with 600 tongue weight with no problems. The engine spins up pretty high when climbing but it gets the job done. The dealer wanted to sell me from their inventory, just tow package, and I had to explain to them what I wanted. Not all salesmen are up to speed on all the specs. They finally found one on a different lot in another city and brought it to me. I am more than satisfied.
IMO, get the truck you want instead of trying to modify your existing one.
Sponsored