Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Hello,

I am a new member on this forum. I spent almost a full day reading various & re-gearing threads and all its comments before posting this question.

I have a rather heavy 2020 Rubicon Launch Edition with 315/70 Toyo AT3s on stock wheels and stock height.

I am equipped with full Metal Cloak roof rack, Metal Cloak bed rack, Warn 12S winch on the front, Yakima Top Water Fishing Rod Box, Thule Awning, Yakima 7 gal. Road Shower on the roof rack; iKamper Skycamp 3.0 mini and accessories like shovel and axe on the bed rack; along with WaterPORT 4 gal. water tank inside the bed rail full time.

I live in Alabama but am taking camping trips all over the U.S. at least a once per month for a week. I also take fishing/boating trips to various lakes and beaches in Alabama, Florida, and Mississippi at least twice per month.

I towed a small Robalo Center Console boat about 3000# on above set up with stock 33s and stock 4.10 gears without any problems (at least in my point of view).

Just signed up and made the down payment for the 2024 Yamaha FSH 255 Sport H. It's dry weight on the trailer is 6,025 lbs but with 111 gal. fuel capacity and fresh water; I am pushing very close to 7000# max tow rate.

The boat won't arrive at my local dealership until late January or early February.

What can I upgrade to enhance my future towing experience with above set up?

I scheduled for a re-gearing with 4.88 Yukon gears. The shop recommended 4.56 as I mentioned I would never go bigger than 35s on this JT but I felt like 4.88 was a better choice after multiple reads on this forum. Please, correct me if I am wrong. I am also considering 5.13 but some stated that this gear is weaker compared to 4.88 due to smaller size and missing tooth?!

First question should have been if it was even OK for me to tow that heavy of a boat with stock JT with no performance upgrades.

What other mods (other than gears) do you guys recommend for this heavy towing?

Thank you for your time and inputs in advance.
I agree with everyone whoā€™s said this is way too much. You need a 1/2 ton truck minimum. Iā€™ve had boats that heavy. Iā€™d never tow one with even a stock max tow gladiator, unless it was a few miles in town max.
Sponsored

OP
OP

PrimeYC

First Name
Prime
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon LE
Occupation
Military
And no - I'd not do it.
You never want to tow at or too close to the rated towing ability of any vehicle anyway.
Thanks for your explanation.

We called the dealership today and cancelled the order. :)

How about the 222 FSH Sport E, which has a dry weight on trailer of 4,977 lbs.?

Is the payload and cargo (bed) capacity same thing? It says my payload capacity is 1,200# than the maximum cargo that I can load on the bed is minus every gears on the truck? even if it's located on the front such as winch and inside the vehicle including passengers? than subtract the tongue weight? Just trying to confirm if I learned correctly. Thanks again.

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for your explanation.

We called the dealership today and cancelled the order. :)

How about the 222 FSH Sport E, which has a dry weight on trailer of 4,977 lbs.?

Is the payload and cargo (bed) capacity same thing? It says my payload capacity is 1,200# than the maximum cargo that I can load on the bed is minus every gears on the truck? even if it's located on the front such as winch and inside the vehicle including passengers? than subtract the tongue weight? Just trying to confirm if I learned correctly. Thanks again.
Pretty much any weight you add above the springs should be subtracted from your available payload, including tongue weight.

Jeeper44mag

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2018 JKU
Occupation
Detention
Wow! Thank you so much guys for all the love and education even though it is my first posting being new and everything to this forum. I really appreciate it.

This is my truck and I never had any prior experience with towing, etc. I completely forgot to consider the cargo, passengers, refrigerator in the back seat; basically everything inside the truck itself. haha

I was worried about this issue from the beginning but my local boat dealership was pushing me and being very certain that the job can be done without problems over and over... (saying they've seen the gladiator tow much bigger boats all the time).

I would hate to let this boat go. I loved it very much in person. But I guess I will need to either step down a size to purchase a 222 FSH Sport E (4,977# dry weight on the trailer) OR trade the truck with a R1T. :'(

I love this Jeep though. SMH
Downsize to the 222 FSH! That's still a fantastic rig! You'll appreciate the lesser gas cost of running it as well.

~5000 lb boat = ~500 lb tongue weight.

1200 lb capacity - 500lbs = ~700 lbs of people & gear in the truck. (ie. Three 200 lb guys in your truck and you're just about full up).

Luis

OP
OP

PrimeYC

First Name
Prime
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon LE
Occupation
Military
Downsize to the 222 FSH! That's still a fantastic rig! You'll appreciate the lesser gas cost of running it as well.
I might just do that. Thanks for your input! :)

Sponsored

DylanM

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ, 2005 LJR, 2021 JTRD
Occupation
USAF Retired
~5000 lb boat = ~500 lb tongue weight.

1200 lb capacity - 500lbs = ~700 lbs of people & gear in the truck. (ie. Three 200 lb guys in your truck and you're just about full up).
Minus also the weight of all this:
I am equipped with full Metal Cloak roof rack, Metal Cloak bed rack, Warn 12S winch on the front, Yakima Top Water Fishing Rod Box, Thule Awning, Yakima 7 gal. Road Shower on the roof rack; iKamper Skycamp 3.0 mini and accessories like shovel and axe on the bed rack; along with WaterPORT 4 gal. water tank inside the bed rail full time.
And pretty soon you're going to be doing well to stay within your payload spec with nothing but the added weight of the driver and a cooler.

A good sit down to tally the amount of payload already taken up by all the added stuff to figure what you have left to play with is highly recommended.

sarguy1941

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Regardless what you do I think youd be amazed at the weight of your JT alone. Find a CAT scale in town pay the fee and weigh it.

TheRealStreetcommander

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
None of your business.
I love the JT. This is my personal experience.

I have towed and over-towed with many vehicles over 30 years. My Willys Pentastar ZF tows very well up to about ~5000 pounds. After that weight, itā€™s the most dangerous tow vehicle Iā€™ve ever used.
Has zero to do with the Pentastar or brakes. Iā€™ll hold a motor at redline for hours with no fear and no remorse, and the pentastar sings a beautiful song at high RPM. The geometry and compliance of the suspension DOES NOT play well with over-towing.

My candid advice.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, like has been said - "payload" - your case is 1200 pounds, is everything that the truck did not come with.
So you take 1200 minus the 500 tongue weight and also subtract the weight of the roof rack and the bed rack, shower, rod box, any water in the truck. So anything you have put inside the truck, on top of the truck or in the truck bed. Add all of those things up.
1200 minus the given 500 pound tongue weight leaves you 700.
If all of that other stuff adds up to 500 pounds, then you have 200 pounds for you and your dog or a cooler. You'll be maxed out.
That 1200 number should be considered as "anything in the truck - cab or bed, anything on the truck such as on the roof, whatever.
It's anything you add to the truck after you buy it - that counts as payload.
In my case, I added power steps - so that takes about 140 pounds off my payload. The winch takes off about another 70 pounds from my payload. And that's before I toss anything into the truck.

I have an Overland - it's rated for towing 6,000 pounds (less than Rubicon, etc.) and I tow 5,000 pounds with it. It's just fine - but I'm still well under the ratings of the truck. (and barely make payload)

KevinC

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT Mojave Sarge
Occupation
Gunsmith
With all the equipment/weight you have added to your JT, you have probably already exceeded your tow rating. I would do like already mentioned and find a CAT scale and weigh it. Then add whatever other gear you plan on carrying on your trip, plus people.

You may be surprised.

You may be only able to tow a 5x8 landscape trailer when it's all said.

KevinC

Sponsored

Josh00333

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Freedom
Build Thread
Link
You really need to go scale your truck, see what weight it actualy is at as you sit.

I bet your a lot heavier than you think.

Take that subtract your gvwr found on your door jamb thast will tell you what you pay load is.

Then address you wife wife purse tools, toung weight of thew trailer and then make a desission.

Good idea to drop to the smaller boat in any event.

Fshboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Rubicon
New guy here, reading threads for a few hours thought I would join, I just bought a 2023 FSH 252 (non charged hard to find premium fuel will leave it on jet dock at the house so not near land gas stations ever). Need a tow rig for the 252 and while it is the same weight and just over 6K on the trailer I plan to have it near empty on the fuel and no water onboard for any tow. seems payload is over 1500 on max tow S models if have 600 on the hitch leaves 900 for cargo and people which is plenty for me. Actually just left Stellantis as an employer and they gave me a 20K voucher I get in mid 2024 as a leave the company incentive. Not wanting a Ram unless I have to (although even a V6 ram in half ton chassis is similar tow rating to the max tow) there is not much else in the lineup that interests me, Grand Cherokee L perhaps but need a V8 pushes you to limited trim to get the hemi and even then 7200 max well under the max tow.

what did you decide to do in your situation? If rarely towing (I may do a trip a year or two, boat will be used off jet dock) renting a half ton truck is an option as well, keeps the miles off your ride as a bonus and have a capable half ton truck or more for comfortable towing for long trips with the boat without interfering with your regular ride.

Just a few rambling thoughts...

sideshotridehome.jpg

MattKay

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
New guy here, reading threads for a few hours thought I would join, I just bought a 2023 FSH 252 (non charged hard to find premium fuel will leave it on jet dock at the house so not near land gas stations ever). Need a tow rig for the 252 and while it is the same weight and just over 6K on the trailer I plan to have it near empty on the fuel and no water onboard for any tow. seems payload is over 1500 on max tow S models if have 600 on the hitch leaves 900 for cargo and people which is plenty for me. Actually just left Stellantis as an employer and they gave me a 20K voucher I get in mid 2024 as a leave the company incentive. Not wanting a Ram unless I have to (although even a V6 ram in half ton chassis is similar tow rating to the max tow) there is not much else in the lineup that interests me, Grand Cherokee L perhaps but need a V8 pushes you to limited trim to get the hemi and even then 7200 max well under the max tow.

what did you decide to do in your situation? If rarely towing (I may do a trip a year or two, boat will be used off jet dock) renting a half ton truck is an option as well, keeps the miles off your ride as a bonus and have a capable half ton truck or more for comfortable towing for long trips with the boat without interfering with your regular ride.

Just a few rambling thoughts...

Jeep Gladiator Towing 7000# Yamaha FSH 255 Sport H sideshotridehome
Iā€™ve been in and out of Jeep Wranglers for the past 25 years (got started at 16 years old) and itā€™s always the same thing that brings me back.
Convertible, Doors Off 4x4 trail and snow capable machine. In this case itā€™s the pickup flavor.

I get people have other ā€œreasonsā€ to buy a JT but I think the ones listed above are the most driving features. Otherwise any pickup that meets your needs and looks will work. No other pickup can do the above tho! (Hummer kind of can but itā€™s all electric and a freaking fortune).

also I love mine. And Iā€™m happy I can tow stuff when I need to. Worldā€™s most prolific tow rig? No. Worldā€™s funnest head turning pickup truck? Yes.
Sponsored