First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Sportsman of Leisure
I have a Rubicon with the tow package and have added airlift airbags. Using a Husky weight distribution hitch I recently towed my 21RD Outdoors RV trailer from the San Francisco Bay Area to Boise, Idaho and back, 1600 miles and averaged 10.2 mpg for the entire trip. GVW was 12220 Lbs. with all hands aboard and rolling down the road and I used a Curt Echo brake controller, which worked great, and the stock mirrors were adequate and I will not be changing them. We bucked a 30 mph headwind for about 180miles and it really sucked the mileage down, more so than the steep grades. Overall I am really happy with how everything worked and will be running this combo around the west!

D9F3DD34-4720-4252-9C0C-E4EA02D4D38F.jpeg
Sponsored

wvyankee2

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT Rubicon
Occupation
Refinery Operator
Vehicle Showcase

BrichJeepUtopia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
22' and about 4500# loaded. Pulls it great with 488 gears and my 35's. Weight distribution hitch with sway control and electric brakes are a must though.

Jeep Gladiator Towing a 23 Foot Trailer D9F3DD34-4720-4252-9C0C-E4EA02D4D38F
what sort of gas mileage are you seeing with the 4.88 gears while towing? I have the max tow package with 4.10, was considering 4.88's for towing our 21' cherokee wolf pup. went to Colorado and back from Dallas, averaged 8.4 mpg.

wvyankee2

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT Rubicon
Occupation
Refinery Operator
Vehicle Showcase
what sort of gas mileage are you seeing with the 4.88 gears while towing? I have the max tow package with 4.10, was considering 4.88's for towing our 21' cherokee wolf pup. went to Colorado and back from Dallas, averaged 8.4 mpg.
I have only did short trips and have not checked it. I have one next month that's about 110 miles away . I will run a tank out and check it.

jrlandrum

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Retired
I have a Gladiator 2020. I have owned Wrangler and regular jeeps. All of them had buttons to switch off overdrive. The Gladiator does not!! Do you tow with the transmission in M+?Thanks. Robert Landrum

Sponsored

BrichJeepUtopia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
I have a Gladiator 2020. I have owned Wrangler and regular jeeps. All of them had buttons to switch off overdrive. The Gladiator does not!! Do you tow with the transmission in M+?Thanks. Robert Landrum
I have not switched to manual mode while towing . I also used to turn the over drive off in my JK to maintain power at highway speeds while running 35’s, so I know exactly what you mean. The 8 speed in the JT seems to do a great job of staying in the gear it needs for the power being asked of the 3.6, this powertrain is light years ahead of my 3.8 jk. I think my JT with the 4.10 gears, 35’s and the 8 speed, this 3.6 engine might be doing as well as it can. I was just thinking I might be able to eek out a few more mpg at a lower rpm with 4.88’s while towing. However, at $1500 or so for a re-gear, im not sure I’d make that back with the fuel savings Any time soon.

jrlandrum

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Retired
Is there a sway control system you have been happy with?
I have a Overland Gladiator 2020. When you are towing your trailer, do you use just the transmission in D and let it shift or do you move to m+ and you do shifting? Thank you. Will be towing trailer with tractor and or firewood. Robert

jrlandrum

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Retired
I have not switched to manual mode while towing . I also used to turn the over drive off in my JK to maintain power at highway speeds while running 35’s, so I know exactly what you mean. The 8 speed in the JT seems to do a great job of staying in the gear it needs for the power being asked of the 3.6, this powertrain is light years ahead of my 3.8 jk. I think my JT with the 4.10 gears, 35’s and the 8 speed, this 3.6 engine might be doing as well as it can. I was just thinking I might be able to eek out a few more mpg at a lower rpm with 4.88’s while towing. However, at $1500 or so for a re-gear, im not sure I’d make that back with the fuel savings Any time soon.
Thanks you.

whiteglad

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
During their broadcast (see an old thread on this forum), the Jeep engineers told us that the Jeep auto trans senses and adjusts for load. Therefore it does not need a tow/haul mode switch.

futzin'

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JTR, '15 Durango Citadel, '06 Suburban 2500 8L
During their broadcast (see an old thread on this forum), the Jeep engineers told us that the Jeep auto trans senses and adjusts for load. Therefore it does not need a tow/haul mode switch.
What else would they say?? Yeah, I'm a cynic . . .

Sponsored

Diaster

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Teacher-Retired Firefighter
I tow this 3100 lbs as it sits with overland 3.73 and 33s tow package. No issues.

Jeep Gladiator Towing a 23 Foot Trailer A23BB5C5-C5CA-421A-92B0-2E82CBC64C8C

MadManMoheenid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator LE & 1958 Chevy Apache
You guys towing with cruise control on, up and down hills? Ive heard some vehicle manufacturers dont want you to tow with it on, especially in the rain. Ive been towing a 22’ Airstream across country, through some heavy rain, and its worked great for me but haven't seen an answer to this question.

BrichJeepUtopia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
You guys towing with cruise control on, up and down hills? Ive heard some vehicle manufacturers dont want you to tow with it on, especially in the rain. Ive been towing a 22’ Airstream across country, through some heavy rain, and its worked great for me but haven't seen an answer to this question.
I use the adaptive cruise on mine while towing on the highway/interstates. I set the distance to the maximum car lengths in case someone decides to cut in front of me. Works great

Schreconjeep

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 StingGray JTRD, '09 Prius, '15 Odyssey
Regarding weight distribution and Air Bags:

It is important to set up your weight distribution hitch to level out your tow vehicle. This distributes the weight across front and rear axles. DO THIS BEFORE INFLATING AIR BAGS. Otherwise you will have a leveled out jeep but all the weight is still in the rear.

This is a great video.
Sponsored